Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365026 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2235 on: June 18, 2011, 11:30:53 am »

Libya is a nation in an all out civil war instead of a series of increasingly violent protests, is less involved with the Middle East vs. Israel conflict, and has a more openly insane leader. Plus, 80% the US approves of helping them, according to Gallup.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:28 am »

Libya is a nation in an all out civil war instead of a series of increasingly violent protests, is less involved with the Middle East vs. Israel conflict, and has a more openly insane leader. Plus, 80% the US approves of helping them, according to Gallup.
You're sure? I had the impression that the public support in the US was weak.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 18, 2011, 12:01:13 pm »

You're sure? I had the impression that the public support in the US was weak.
I may be misremembering which figure was 80% approval, but I'm a bit busy at the moment and can't check Gallup for the results right now.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 18, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »

Rasmussen says the exact opposite:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/june_2011/just_26_favor_continued_military_action_in_libya

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 19, 2011, 12:12:40 pm »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:31 am »

As NATO cannot achieve any objectives in Libyan war, they start to target vital civil infrastructure, putting millions under the risk of death from thirst.
http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/23-07-2011/118577-nato_war_crimes-0/
http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/blasts-rock-libyan-capital-in-area-of-gadhafi-compound-121512
Protecting civils and no-fly zone, eh?

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 26, 2011, 06:00:12 am »

Stop spreading Gadaffi propaganda. I bet you believe there's no fighting in Brega as well.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 26, 2011, 07:09:46 am »

I see no reason for NATO to do that, as politically it's a massive scandal waiting to happen. Surely we would have heard more if NATO were targeting civilians (I think this would count as targeting civilians). A big point of their intervention was to minimize civilian casualties.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2243 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:08 am »

Appearently, the democratic and feminist elements of the egyptian revolution are pissed off that the military council has cozied up with the muslim brotherhood and neither of them actually wants to let the people vote or bring the people who butchered them to justice.

And you know what? I'm not even capable of being outraged about it because my own country is spiralling into the abyss right now.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:31 pm »

Thought I'd pull this thread up, on news that Qaddafi is supposedly preparing to exile himself to Tunisia and resign from power, provided that A) NATO ends whatever mission it has in Libya and B) control of the country devolves to his Justice Minister (one of the last high-level appointees Qaddafi has left).  The rebels deny they participated in negotiated any such agreement, to the extent that anything was negotiated.  It certainly lacks the finality of the outcome they wanted and does nothing about guaranteeing any change in government policy, much less even say anything about ending the civil war.  Not to mention, y'know, Qaddafi would still be right next door, which doesn't do anyone any favors.

I guess the only point here being a distinct sign of Qaddafi's surprisingly well entrenched power in his country may on the verge of dislodging.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 18, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

Other sources said Gaddafi is sick and requires urgent medical treatment outside Libya.
I definitely could believe this. He looks like he's very sick indeed.

Still, not much else of that makes sense. Why would Tunisia accept a dictator in exile when they just ousted their own? I'd figure they'd be more likely to kill Gaddafi than shelter him.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 18, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »

Other sources said Gaddafi is sick and requires urgent medical treatment outside Libya.

Still, not much else of that makes sense. Why would Tunisia accept a dictator in exile when they just ousted their own? I'd figure they'd be more likely to kill Gaddafi than shelter him.
There may be a number of reasons.
Propaganda
Gaddafi supporting/advocating Tunisian rebellion
Lucrative Deal
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:30 pm »

I'd expect anti revolutionaries to do something like this. People of the old nomenclature are still in power.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 20, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »

News are abuzz about an uprising in parts of Tripoli tonight, as the city is more or less surrounded on all sides by rebels. Two major districts said to have chased out the security forces although that hold is probably tenuous at best.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/20/501364/main20095027.shtml

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 20, 2011, 11:06:08 pm »

Last I heard, Ghaddafi has fled the city, the rebels have hold of one of the districts in the city.

As always the truth is muddled, but it seems like the rebels have been making pretty steady progress lately.

Tripoli has also finally recognized the rebel government as the official one. (I imagine that a sign that they don't think they have to worry about Ghaddafi winning it at this point)
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 416