Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365275 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #2115 on: May 04, 2011, 02:51:32 pm »

That dude looks like a walking bazaar. And has the facial expression of one too.
"Sahib! I have many good ammunition for you! You buy, yes? Only the finest shells, freshly picked!"

I lol'd. "I go through many minefields to get this. I lose 4, no, 5 children! I give you good deal though." The blunderbuss pistol thing is what got me though. Pretty sure a musket ball against infantry armor at rifle range will be good for nothing.

This should also kinda put the kibosh on those rumors that these guys are all secretly al-Qaeda operatives. al-Qaeda knows how to build and use guns.

I was thinking that too. Taliban gunsmiths actually hand machine replacement parts for salvaged American weapons. They're gutting Soviet era weaponry, which must be....what, almost 20 to 30 years old?

Foolish, yes. Hopeless? Most likely. But considering their alternatives, you have to respect that they're fighting any way they can. And that AA platform looked mighty functional to me.

It's a rebellion of the desperate and the foolish, while all the army defectors who know what they're doing kick back in Benghazi and wait for somebody to win.

I take a slightly more glass-half-full view. The defectors know Gadahfi's capabilities. They're also aware of the rebel capabilities. And we all know the international hesitancy about taking the kid gloves off. Sure, his relatives have already died to missile strikes, but Gadahfi is already effectively in hiding. Without intelligence on the ground, this thing could go on forever waiting for the magic drone strike. Up until now they've been hitting government and military installations, the things you can see from a satellite. Gadahfi is most likely hiding in a fortified safe house, if he was smart. He watches the news, he's seen how the international community hunts for Taliban and Al Qaeda leadership. Without direct intelligence pointing to his safehouse, a drone strike seems pretty unlikely.

So I take the stance the defectors think they can actually win this on the side of the rebels if Gadafhi's forces are sufficiently demoralized and depleted. Better to be commanding the army that eventually storms Gadahfi's final stronghold and declare victory than trying to shout above everyone else for leadership when news breaks he was blown to pieces.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:54:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:07 pm »

Moving back from North Africa to the Gulf, an interesting denial.  Strike against Iran imminent?  Who has a clue.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=218851

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 04, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

Gadahfi is most likely hiding in a fortified safe house, if he was smart. He watches the news, he's seen how the international community hunts for Taliban and Al Qaeda leadership.
He is Revolution Leader of nation, 20% of which are tribesmen and most of which are Muslim, with strong belief in blood feuds. "Hiding in fortified safe house" after NATO murder of his family members would be definitive and stupid way to lose support from loyal population, tribes elders and army. Besides, he is used to assassination attempts from colonialists and usa.
Oh, and, please, do not call NATO as 'international community'. You do not represent even 10% of world population.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:06 pm »

Gosh darnit, your writing patterns look really familiar... pfaugh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »

Sure, his relatives have already died to missile strikes, but Gadahfi is already effectively in hiding. Without intelligence on the ground, this thing could go on forever waiting for the magic drone strike. Up until now they've been hitting government and military installations, the things you can see from a satellite. Gadahfi is most likely hiding in a fortified safe house, if he was smart. He watches the news, he's seen how the international community hunts for Taliban and Al Qaeda leadership. Without direct intelligence pointing to his safehouse, a drone strike seems pretty unlikely.

...I just had an idea.  What if NATO and/or the rebels start insisting that Qaddafi is dead?  Like, the NATO commander comes out and says, "yeah, we're pretty sure we blasted him good, not enough of him left to identify."  Obviously it won't be true, and Qaddafi will put out statements that reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.  Just keep insisting it, Qaddafi's dead, blown to smithereens, it's just a tape, you might as well surrender now.  Sooner or later, his ego and the pressure of a personality-based state will get the better of him, and he'll make a public appearance in Triploi to assure his people NATO is lying.  Then, as long as NATO keeps a close eye on the country, well you do the math.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:30 pm »

. . . . . . . thats not a bad idea Aqizzar.  I like it!
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »

The only possible downside is that I'm not at all sure what the PR impact of that would be. There's just a preposterous number of ways to spin it, but I feel like the "You cannot trust the US government" aspect is going to get played up dramatically, and the trick will only work once or twice more before everything officially stated is immediately ignored. Although, come to think of it, that could actually be to our benefit, too. Notice a serious security leak? Make an official announcement releasing that very information.

I take it back. This is fucking brilliant.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:58 am »

Aqizzar, that plan reminds me of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf... ::)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:10 am »

Aqizzar, that plan reminds me of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf... ::)
Oh god, I've been reading through some lines of him on that site. They should've given that guy a role as voice-actor and writer on Command and Conquer 3. He fits Nod perfectly...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #2124 on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 05, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »

About their weapon production stuff, they seem to be making Technicals, which are awesome, but i do wonder how all of that stuff would look if they had more gamers among their ranks, specifically those with interests in DF and 40k
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 05, 2011, 05:01:24 pm »

Close allies of Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have been accused of using supernatural powers to further his policies amid an increasingly bitter power struggle between him and the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Several people said to be close to the president and his chief of staff, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, have been arrested in recent days and charged with being "magicians" and invoking djinns (spirits).

...That actually would explain an awful lot.  God, I'd love to have a legal system where heads of state can charge each other with sorcery.  I can't wait to see how the trial goes.

About their weapon production stuff, they seem to be making Technicals, which are awesome, but i do wonder how all of that stuff would look if they had more gamers among their ranks, specifically those with interests in DF and 40k

About the same.  I mean, they chopped up a Russian rocket-truck to mount a few tubes each on pickups with lightswitches.  This is about as brutal as they can get.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 05, 2011, 05:03:11 pm »

Iran continues to be weird.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/05/ahmadinejad-allies-charged-with-sorcery
I'm not suprised. This is the same nation where that woman was charged with causing earthquakes with infidelity witchcraft or whatever the hell they were charging her with. You can find dozens of videos demonstraiting Iranian "science" that amounts to state propaganda with photoshop and pretty numbers attached.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 06, 2011, 10:03:18 am »

You might be a terrorist if you wear a Casio F-91.

Don't buy cheap watches that can set timers more then 24 hours guys. 
Also, don't go to Afghanistan or Pakistan to look for a wife or at the least, don't tell US Officials that is what you are going there for.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 06, 2011, 04:42:30 pm »

You might be a terrorist if you wear a Casio F-91.

Don't buy cheap watches that can set timers more then 24 hours guys. 
Also, don't go to Afghanistan or Pakistan to look for a wife or at the least, don't tell US Officials that is what you are going there for.

It's a good idea to avoid Afghanistan and Pakistan altogether.  They aren't exactly Club Med after all.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 416