Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365332 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #2100 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:31 am »

And it's not like we're running surprise attacks either. We've been talking about bombing Lybia for weeks before doing so.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:33 pm »

Quaddafi's youngest son Saif al-Arab was killed today by NATO forces in several precise strikes at living quarter, where Saif and his family resided. His 3 children (eldest was 5 years old, youngest was 2 years old) were killed along with whole family and dozens of other people, who lived in same house.
Its worth noting that Saif al-Arab had no position in Libyan govt, and wasn't enlisted in Libya military.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:10 pm »

That's terrible and is news I was sad to read. It must be remembered however that while it was NATO that launched the missile, most likely it was some other information that caused this. I'd like to see this kind of action restrained in the future, however. Collateral damage is not acceptable in real life, and he was also a questionable target. On that note, though, is any such target questionable to a man fighting Gaddhafi? I'd like to blame it on the actions of one person, but we probably won't find out for ten years.

Also, I'll have to remind myself that if I am ever in any way a part of a falling government assailed by airplanes to broadcast that I am indeed not hiding out with my family and have dug my own hole in some place, preferably with several dozen feet of concrete between me and said airplanes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:22:54 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: May 01, 2011, 01:29:37 am »

The AP reports that Khadaffi was inside the house at the time but escaped or survived.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_LIBYA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-30-19-01-19

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2104 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48:56 pm »

Osama Bin Laden is dead.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:51:55 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: May 01, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »

Osama Bin Laden is dead.
And things may very well get crazy post haste.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2106 on: May 01, 2011, 11:22:20 pm »

I don't know what this means. Some people are happy.

I feel that the death of anyone, even an enemy, is not something to celebrate. The only happiness we can get from a death is the possibility of the cessation of war. I hope that that is what will come from this, because now it is just possible to imagine the political will existing to remove the US from Iraq and Afganistan.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

I don't know what this means. Some people are happy.

I feel that the death of anyone, even an enemy, is not something to celebrate. The only happiness we can get from a death is the possibility of the cessation of war. I hope that that is what will come from this, because now it is just possible to imagine the political will existing to remove the US from Iraq and Afganistan.
Good call, I hadn't thought of that. So you think the US administration might use this as a excuse for a "honorable retreat"?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: May 02, 2011, 03:56:05 am »

Well, it wouldn't even have to be a retreat.  Just put in the most diplomatic terms possible, "Dear Karzai, we got what we came for, good luck and goodbye."  If the President wanted to call for a major drawdown in Afghanistan, he just got the biggest free-ticket he could ever ask for.  I mean, bin Laden has of course been little more than a figurehead for nearly a decade, but he is quite literally why America went to Afghanistan.

He certainly gave the impression in his speech that he had no intention of letting the heat off the Taliban/al-Qaeda melange in Waziristan, but there's going to be a lot of people, especially in his own side of the political spectrum, wanting a serious answer for why we're still there after this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: May 02, 2011, 04:09:55 am »

In other news, last week Egypt declared it's intent to open the border with the Gaza strip. The announcement has been met with a "Oh God we're all going to die!!" from Israeli officials.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: May 04, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »

Just a reminder, the Libyan civil war continues. And the rebels continue to be crazy badass MacGyvers building dakka out of spare parts.

And hunt tanks with spears.

And then there's this guy. I'm not even sure what to say there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:15 pm »

That dude looks like he just walked out of the 1920s or one of The Mummy movies.

And damn, you're not kidding. That's some serious homemade dakka.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:06:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #2112 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

That is the most random assortment of ammunition I have ever seen strapped to someones chest. He has at least 2 different kinds of light cannon round, a couple clips of 30cal (as close as I can tell), what I can only assume are some type of small self propelled grenade and to top it all off... A single 9mm round on the top left.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:44 pm »

Not to mention that blunderbuss, which I'm pretty sure is actually a flaregun (could pack a mean shotgun shell though).  It's one facet of a common problem...

Just a reminder, the Libyan civil war continues. And the rebels continue to be crazy badass MacGyvers building dakka out of spare parts.

About halfway through the video, they catch the Libyan equivalent of a neckbeard, "I have no idea [what I'm doing], but at least I'm trying!"  There's your explanation for the gobs of unrelated ammunition, the guy who's hideously confused about what they meant by "anti-tank Javelin", the guy trying to shoot airplanes from an office chair, the axe-wielding dude, and everything else.  It's a rebellion of the desperate and the foolish, while all the army defectors who know what they're doing kick back in Benghazi and wait for somebody to win.

Unless a drone-strike bullseyes Qaddafi, this thing will keep going nowhere in a hurry until somebody runs out of ammunition.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: May 04, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

That dude looks like a walking bazaar. And has the facial expression of one too.
"Sahib! I have many good ammunition for you! You buy, yes? Only the finest shells, freshly picked!"

And yeah...this is what a REAL popular uprising looks like, especially when most of the population hasn't even touched a weapon in day-to-day life.
At the same time, it's almost impossible not to admire their zeal and ingenuity. This should also kinda put the kibosh on those rumors that these guys are all secretly al-Qaeda operatives. al-Qaeda knows how to build and use guns.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 416