Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 365334 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world
« Reply #1995 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:07 am »

Yes, but we're not talking about mass seeding of thousands of mines across the entire Libyan coast here. It's a few dozen mines, a mix of antipersonnel and antivehicle. Honestly, it sounds like the Libyan Army units are just using whatever they've got on hand to try and slow down the rebels.

For that matter IIRC, NATO is using cluster munitions in some of the airstrikes, which are also a gift that keeps on giving. Nothing like brightly colored yellow balls that go BOOM to litter the landscape and maim small children for years to come.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:21 am »

For that matter IIRC, NATO is using cluster munitions in some of the airstrikes, which are also a gift that keeps on giving. Nothing like brightly colored yellow balls that go BOOM to litter the landscape and maim small children for years to come.  :(

Please substantiate that, I've not heard any reports about cluster bombs being used by aircraft in Libya. The US is pretty much the only NATO country that hasn't outright banned them.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:00 am »

Please substantiate that, I've not heard any reports about cluster bombs being used by aircraft in Libya. The US is pretty much the only NATO country that hasn't outright banned them.
Yes, that would be very interesting. If France or Belgium did it, there is officials that will get in trouble (although aren't NATO supposed to engage PRECISION strike? How can you be precise with cluster bomb?)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:04 am »

I'm wrong.  :-[

I could have sworn I saw some items about cluster munitions used by the US at the very least, but can't find any credible sources now. There's some far-left blogs claiming CM use but without any sources or evidence, and some right-wing bogs claiming CM use (and even a possible tactical nuke??) by Qaddafi, but again totally unsourced.

There was a lot of talk in the run-up to the military actions about whether the US would use cluster munitions, and we declined to rule them out, for operational reasons. But there is no indication as of yet that we've actually used them. And David Cameron flatly ruled out the use of CM when asked.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1999 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:14 am »

I'm honestly rooting for the protesters here - I believe EVERYONE has a right to live and work without fear of a repressive government coming down on them.

And if the protesters succeed in creating a new, free government - that happens to be very wary of the US - I say good on them.

"Everyone has to die someday - I intend to deserve it." - Wallpaper of a dude throwing a molotov.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: April 02, 2011, 09:49:19 am »

Can i get that wallpaper please?
It sounds mighty interesting :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 02, 2011, 09:56:19 am »

There are artillery rockets with cluster munitions for the BM-21 Grad trucks that Gaddafi seems to like. Dunno if he has those rockets but if he do I'd bet they've been deployed.

I don't see USAF dropping cluster bombs though, since there's been such an immense focus on public image on everything Libya. The first question asked on the first press conference by Pentagon after the air campaign started was if DU had been used yet. I would expect anything considered slightly controversial would be at the bottom of the list of stuff to drop on things.

EDIT: On a lighter note, here's a picture collection inspired by that first very epic libyan with the shotgun and axe. Seems to get updated daily-ish.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:13:30 am by olemars »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:58 am »

Can i get that wallpaper please?
It sounds mighty interesting :)

I...hm. I have it around here somewhere...

-rummages-

Here:
Code: [Select]
Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?paw2ke1ic229i2e

Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?r9s8phn8jbrgf95

Part 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?2dbr3s87m8a3bx3

Unless they've been removed, that archive should have that wallpaper in there somewhere.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:04 am »

600 megs of wallpapers?
That's quite the collection there, thank you very much for sharing it :)
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 02, 2011, 10:59:50 am »

EDIT: On a lighter note, here's a picture collection inspired by that first very epic libyan with the shotgun and axe. Seems to get updated daily-ish.

Oh man, I needed that. Some of those are EPIC. How can you not love a guy on bicycle wielding an RPG, or the guy who improvised an AA turret by grabbing a rifle and a rolling office chair??  :o  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're like the mad love-children of the Fremen, the road gang from Mad Max, and MacGyver. And ya gotta admit, the folks doing a lot of their Internet presence are incredibly meme-savvy.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:54 am »

They are all awesome, but none compare to the original, and i hope he survives all of this.

AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 02, 2011, 11:53:23 am »

#

#
Timestamp:
4:46pm

Mustafa Gheriani, a Transitional National Council spokesman, told Al Jazeera's Laurence Lee that the loss of lives is very much regretted.

However we understand that collateral damage may also take place and we do accept it, because we look at the big picture which saving more lives.

So a few people being victims of circumstances or of being at the wrong time or the wrong place it is more or less very bad luck.

As I guessed, mistakes make few waves, people who actually call airstrike can guess that they will loose people, too.
I really don't know why we heard bullshit like "the situation will turn if there is any friendly fire", those people aren't stupid.
Sure, we had huge protest in Iraq when that happened, but we're not wanted there. Hey, every news media I heard are comparing the situation to Iraq, when the only similarities between the two is that Lybia is what propaganda advertised Iraq to be.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 02, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »

I think what will keep us popular despite any mistakes is that we are many ways acting upon the request and at the call of the Libyans. It's hard to be angry at the people you asked to do something, since you sort of accepted the risks when you asked - and knowing you have that control over the situation, that it was ultimately a sacrifice your people chose to make, that is important.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 02, 2011, 02:00:21 pm »

or the guy who improvised an AA turret by grabbing a rifle and a rolling office chair??  :o  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a damn nice chair, too!

I think what will keep us popular despite any mistakes is that we are many ways acting upon the request and at the call of the Libyans. It's hard to be angry at the people you asked to do something, since you sort of accepted the risks when you asked - and knowing you have that control over the situation, that it was ultimately a sacrifice your people chose to make, that is important.

Personally, I think the biggest issue is we would actually have to try really hard to do more harm to civilians than the guy we're helping to get rid of.  First time since WWII?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 416