Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoor Plumbing.  (Read 1171 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Indoor Plumbing.
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:16:12 am »

I'm installing a LOT of flooding chambers bathrooms, but won't this generate a lot of mud?  I'd prefer to have some spick and spam clean rooms, which is one reason for the flooding, but if it causes mud everywhere then I may have to use more !!creative!! plumbing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor Plumbing.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:35 am »

There will be mud everywhere, but your dwarves may clean it up. Build roads in your plumbing system though - you don't want trees growing and clogging it up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:19:42 am »

I thought the never cleaned up mud?  That's a bit new...

On the same note of mud, I've seen underground trees sprouting around my farm.  This is rather cool.  But, only around my farm, so they seem to need mud to survive, which is fine and dandy, but can I abuse this to make tree farms?  Use my fanciful plumbing to muddy up a locked room, and have trees sprout in adjacent rooms?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:23:49 am »

If you smooth the floors, the dwarves might clean the mud.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:40:25 am »

I assume that b - C a floor would have the same effect?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:12 am »

No, a muddy floor is a muddy floor, whether natural or constructed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:45 am »

But a smooth floor is not a floor?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »

But a smooth floor is not a floor?

Dwarves are just more apt to clean it - they won't usually clean rough muddy floors, because they might clean the farms.

As for the trees, underground tree farms are a very good strategy if you aren't using magma for smelting or don't have a lot of surface trees.  The main advantage is that unlike the caverns, you can just clear a whole z-level, muddy it, and have the entire thing growing trees and shrubs.

It's a moot point now, but just so you know for the future, one or more of the caverns must be open to the world (even if then recovered) in order to get underground trees to grow in muddied areas.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:20 pm »

Dwarves will never try to clean mud from rough floors, but if there's some other contaminant there, they might accidentally remove the mud along with it.

I seem to recall that, in previous versions (specifically remembering this from the 2D version), if a muddy rough floor tile is designated for smoothing and there are no Engravers available, dwarves will eventually come by to clean away the mud from that tile alone (but not surrounding tiles).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:04:20 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »

smoothing a natural floor will remove mud.

The clean job doesn't seem to remove mud in this version.  I may be wrong, but I have a shower that cleans dwarves going to my dining area, and sometimes some water spills over and makes the adjacent tiles muddy.  When dwarves come by to clean up contaminants like blood, it cleans the tiles and the surrounding 8 tiles, but the mud doesn't get cleaned.  I'll have to pay closer attention though.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:36:39 pm »

I particular enjoy nether-cap and tower-cap, for their crazy temperature and white color respectively, so indoor tree farms aren't that bad an idea for me.

On the other hand, if nether-caps are immune to magma (due to their constant temperature) I should try to make all my beds out of the stuff, so that I can simply magma-bathe my living quarters and hospital.