Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get back into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 1867 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get back into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:32 pm »

Make your first fort's goal to dig as deep as possible to familiarize yourself with the new underground.
You are an evil, evil man. :P
No, it's a good idea. There's lots down there to do, kind of like in 2D but less predictable. I approve.

It's certainly a good idea.  It's just plain different down there, now.  Might as well do it with a non-perfect embark you don't care if everyone dies, and just go exploring.  You'll find some neat new stuff that wasn't there in .28 if you haven't been down there before.

It was the first thing I did when .31.01 came out, after looking through the new raws and a little of arena mode.  Just go looking for trouble, and see what you can find.

Losing is generally more fun if you aren't too attached to what you are going to lose, yet.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »

Make your first fort's goal to dig as deep as possible to familiarize yourself with the new underground.
You are an evil, evil man. :P
No, it's a good idea. There's lots down there to do, kind of like in 2D but less predictable. I approve.

It's certainly a good idea.  It's just plain different down there, now.  Might as well do it with a non-perfect embark you don't care if everyone dies, and just go exploring.  You'll find some neat new stuff that wasn't there in .28 if you haven't been down there before.

It was the first thing I did when .31.01 came out, after looking through the new raws and a little of arena mode.  Just go looking for trouble, and see what you can find.

Losing is generally more fun if you aren't too attached to what you are going to lose, yet.
I just think the likelihood of Fun in this course of action is funny. I'm not being critical.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 07:15:27 am »

I've been down in the caverns before, but my dwarves were exposed to fatal levels of Fun. I'm no good with making a military anymore. I'll have to go recheck the wiki page for it I guess. How do you guys usually start your fortresses? Like, what do you build first?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:25 am »

Mason (furniture), carpenter(beds, barrels), craftsdwarfshop (bolts for hunter) then focus on setting up a farm or finding water/caverns to set one up. Then i dig straight for the magma sea and put some forges there. Then I make a few sets of armor and some weapons so the first migrants can be drafted and properly equipped in a set of iron armor.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 11:03:31 am »

bed room, dining room, moat, edge traps then I branch from there depending on summer migrants.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »

Usually I start by mapping out the caverns, which throws up enough stone to build a very small wall to keep buzzards and things out and dwarves in. Then I dig down, making the main corridor wide enough for 5x5 buildings, and figure out what to do from there.

Farming is dealt with by above-ground crops, since I embark on sand. That means plants, even if very few.
Dwarves share a dorm until I've figured out what I want to do with the design. Since I like to keep my head down to avoid attacks there aren't too many unhappy thoughts to worry about, and if I can't think of anything for dwarves to do there's always military training.

The wiki page on the military contains perhaps a little too much information. It's better to turn invaders off and press the buttons yourself to see what they do. To do that you need a squad.

[m ], [c ], pick 'no uniform', highlight the first name in the 'candidates' column, press enter a bunch of times. This squad won't be any good for fighting, but you can still give them orders to be carried out in the safety of the fortress.

To actually give them orders you need to go outside the military screen. The military screen might be where you assign patrols and burrow defence orders, but until you specify where the patrol routes and burrows are the 'give order' part of the schedule screen will remain blank and incomprehensible.

But never mind about that, that's advanced stuff if you don't already know how to use burrows and notes. The [s ]quads menu accessible from the main screen is where you find the basic 'go here' and 'kill that' commands. Selecting it does not pause the game like other menus do, which takes some getting used to. This overlaps with the military screen a little in that you can view squad schedules and toggle their active / inactive status.

The default here is to select the whole squad when you press a, b, c, etc., but this can be toggled to individuals by [p ]. If you give a kill order, it will not be cancelled upon completion (it's unclear whether or not this is indended behaviour), and if you order anything in the caravan to be killed then you should either have a backup handy or be willing to live with the results.

Miners, woodcutters, and hunters are bugged because their civilian jobs require them to hold or wear stuff, and the game can't handle a military uniform and a civilian 'uniform' on the same dwarf. You can reduce this buggy behaviour to a minor annoyance by not allowing squads to carry food and by disabling the three mentioned civilian labours unless they're needed. Your miners and woodcutters will still take off all their armour to dig or to fell trees, but they won't claim food and leave it lying around to rot.

Some other notes: Military training as the game 'intends' is painfully slow at first. Skilled fighters teach unskilled ones, but since green dwarves have crappy fighting skills, are crappy teachers and crappy students, and often have crappy mental stats, they're just... crap. Armouring them and sealing them in a room with repeating spikes made from wooden training spears is a quick way of leveling them (and requires no modding), but is generally considered an exploit even if it's sometimes necessary.

...Well, so much for that being a short post.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]