Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whats required to get a new expedition leader?  (Read 1307 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats required to get a new expedition leader?
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:07 am »

All of my dwarfs except for one child starved to death because they never went to drink. That includes my expedition leader. Its a new fort and I was only on my 2nd wave of migrants when it happened. My last survivor held down the fort until i got another wave of migrants but I haven't gotten another leader.

Is there something i need to do to promote one or is it something i'm going to have to wait until a dwarf with the right skills comes as a migrant?

I can't make squads or a book keeper without one and I really need that book keeper to help me dump all stone =(

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Whats required to get a new expedition leader?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:12 am »

save then load, the game will appoint a new exp for you. From there you can reassign an exp as you see fit.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:52 am »

Any idea how long that normally takes? It didn't seem to work but i've only giving it a year. =(

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:23:31 am »

after loading you dont get a new exp leader? That's wierd, and I really cant help you anymore.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:09 am »

Press N > Expedition Leader > Assign job to a dwarf.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:38:12 am »

Press N > Expedition Leader > Assign job to a dwarf.
after your exp die the game bug out and you cant assign new ones, which's his problem. save-load give me a new exp but it doesnt seem to be the case with him.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

Yea what ^^ said.

My "n" screen is blank.

Are there any other things I can try?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 09:34:43 am »

I fear you ran into a game breaking bug here, possibly caused by your last survivor being a child. There are things you can try, like getting the population to 50 (or whatever allows election of a mayor to happen), but I fear you might just be wasting your time. My suggestion is to start over.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:35:53 am »

Eh, you've only been playing a year.  Scrap it.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:37:18 am »

Well its been a while since then. I've got 63 dwarfs now and my city is all dug out. I guess I could reclaim it.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:34 am »

When before I abandon my fort is there anything I can do to prevent all my stock piles from being spread out all over the map?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:33 am »

Sadly no, and re-embark is a little bugged, since it removes all mud.  This means re-irrigating your farmland, and also means that long-term subterranean plants (ie, cavern trees) will have some trouble growing.

If you really like your embark site, I suggest you look into advanced world generation.  You can basically detail it to what you want down to the letter, and there's even third party programs that let you paint the map like a canvas.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 09:47:07 am »

When before I abandon my fort is there anything I can do to prevent all my stock piles from being spread out all over the map?

If you had lead bins, you could store everything in them. Got a feeling that's going to be a tough one here though.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:06 am »

Sadly no, and re-embark is a little bugged, since it removes all mud.  This means re-irrigating your farmland, and also means that long-term subterranean plants (ie, cavern trees) will have some trouble growing.

If you really like your embark site, I suggest you look into advanced world generation.  You can basically detail it to what you want down to the letter, and there's even third party programs that let you paint the map like a canvas.

Can you recommend any of the programs that let me build a map?

I've tried to make changes to the world gen file and even using the advance options. I havent managed to get a habitable map when I mess with the advanced options.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:09 am »

Go to the modding forums and find the sticky at the top named "Modding Utilities" or such.  It has a list of premade mods and a lot of utilities like DFHack and Dwarf Therapist.
Pages: [1] 2