Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Store the damn soap, already  (Read 3817 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Store the damn soap, already
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:12:24 pm »

I have a bunch of soap and the dwarves refuse to put it in the hospital. It doesn't have nearly as much soap in the containers as I specified, and for some reason, all the soap is in the garbage dump. I don't remember dumping it, but it's not forbidden and I don't have a stockpile accepting soap because of the error spam. How do I get my dwarves to store the soap in the hospital?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Store the damn soap, already
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:15:45 pm »

I've never done it by default, but you can set a specific stockpile for it by making a custom stockpile that takes "Bars, misc" or something like that.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:54 pm »

Build coffers,boxes,bags inside the hospital.
Don't make a stockpile in the hospital unless you want job cancellation spam.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:54:54 am »

Just build more boxes/bags. They'll get to it eventually.
くコ:彡

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:57:00 am »

I was trying to avoid the cleaning spam, but I guess I'm gonna have to live with it.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:03 am »

I currently have this same problem with plaster

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:10 am »

Your hospital's storage is probably full of cloth and thread.  Order some of that to be dumped to free up space.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:33 am »

Dwarves will FILL all hospital containers to the brim with anything from the list, even if you're past the "fill line" for those items. Cloth and thread is a particularly popular item to throw in there. I always have to periodically forbid/dump all but the hospital designated thread/cloth, because otherwise, everytime someone takes something out of a chest, some other jerk runs in with another bolt of cloth to fill the space. Hopefully, this will be one of the various hospital stockpile bugs to be fixed in the near future.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:31 am »

My hospital is just a bunch of beds, for everything else just create a specified stockpile.
Keeping stuff in hospital is aimed to ensure that there will be something to tend wounded even if clothier goes on sewing spree obliterating  ten-year reserve of cloth. That's never gona happen unless you want really many dresses.
So to make sure your hospital is loaded place stockpile which accepts only splints near it, make sure it's the only one which accepts them. Place your clothing industry relatively close to hospital, probably you should disable auto-loom in work orders.
And finally, soap. Create stockpile that accepts only it, place channels with 2/2 or 3/3's water at every entrance to that stockpile.
That won't stop them trying to grab soap but you'll get only one message per dwarf. If that's still a lot of messages you probably should search for source of contamination.

As for why it ended up in dump, did you have any dumping operations at that moment? Sometimes I find ores different from goblinite or humanite on battlefield because I activate my military in the middle of hauling. I've once seen a dwarf dragging a barrel of booze to battle. My hypothesis is that they didn't drop soap immediately after spamming and proceeded to dump some crap.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:25 pm »

If I were to deconstruct the containers in the hospital, would all the stuff be dragged back to the proper stockpile?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:45 pm »

When you set up a hospital zone, always make sure cloth/thread/splint storage is set at 0. The only thing these settings are good for, is to give your doctors easier access to the supplies(and reserve them, which is important later). If thread/cloth/splints are not stored in the hospital, they will travel to a stockpile to get it.
 In the meanwhile, if a dwarf needs to clean up, will travel to the hospital, in search of soap. If you still have soap in a stockpile, they get confused(dwarf confusion is bad). Since soap in version .16 does not seem to wear out, a few bars will do you. After the coffers in the hospital have your soap inventory stored, then allocate storage for splints. This will free up some bins. After this is done,place more coffers in the hospital, and raise the storage for thread/cloth. Not too high, cause could interfere with your clothiers, since the amount you set is reserved, for the hospital. Plus could interfere ith a moody dwarfs access to those materials

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »

I was trying to avoid the cleaning spam, but I guess I'm gonna have to live with it.
If you store the soap behind a bath they'll clean themselves trying to get to the soap and you only get one cancellation message.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »

I remember reading a suggestion a while back, to make a separate, adjacent hospital zone specifically for soap storage.  I haven't made a fortress since then to actually try it out, but it sounds good.  I also like this bath house soap stockpile idea; it sounds like a more natural bathing solution than forced baths along high traffic routes.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 01:51:06 am »

The only dwarves that won't touch the soap are the ones in your justice system.

Yeah, they know what happens.