Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How you like to world gen  (Read 1273 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How you like to world gen
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »

So I've been messing around with the advanced world gen, and I just wanted to see what everybody likes to do with their world generations. I personally like setting the altitude variables to max, and the volcanoes to max. I would also like to know: Is there anybody else who likes to open about 2-4 windows of df and have them all world gen at the same time, trying to find the perfect world faster?
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How you like to world gen
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:50 pm »

I do like to tweak the number of sites/civilizations/population because it tends to produce a more active and populated world, which in turn produces more interesting wars and other madness in the process.  I also up the number of volcanoes; I don't want them to be easily found everywhere, but I also don't want them all stuck in some boring location in the middle of the ocean.

Other than that, defaults...I believe in playing the hand I'm dealt as far as worldgen.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Uristisdying

• Bay Watcher
  • [WOTCHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34:59 pm »

Uristisdying's personal world-gen recipe:

- rivers, rivers, and more rivers ---> leads to interesting embarks on river-crossings
- volcanos en masse ---> you can never have too many volcanos
- forested regions everywhere ---> someone needs to piss off elves!
- as many evil and good squares as possible ---> embarking on mirthful/haunted embarks guarantees critter diversity
Never trust a grinning dwarf. It is always planning something.

OrbinDules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »

I like my world gen after I've duplicated a few raws. Nothing beats playing as goblins with "froze cave lobster ichor cloth" socks, having ogre thieves, and getting besieged by trolls.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »

I've set up an entirely flat map, except for a few mountains in the middle that were manually painted on so that my dorfs will live somewhere (I may mod them later to live on plains).  Then, some 50-75 rainfall, max drainage, and medium volcanism.  Effect: plenty of flowing water, lots of trees, lots of -very- flat land, and generally uniform heat and savagery across the map.  I then embark to an area with dolomite, because dolomite rocks.

Yeah, it's an easy setup, because I like flat maps and perfect conditions, but meh.  I'll tweak it next run through for more Evil, a bit more volcanism, and some oceans.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »

meddling with world_gen.txt is fun!

i've had many worlds with 1000+ peaks, or 3000 river start points, or 30k erosion cycles, or 60k years of history, or varied biomes count as many as 20k or 200 levels above ground(dwarven skyscraper!) or 800 min mountain cave size(build you fortress there!of cuz you got to kill anything lives there first) or like enough volcanos to cover half of the map!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:33:38 pm by Lamphare »

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:15:02 pm »

My favorite is rather customized. Extreme elevation, volcanism, and savagery changes with emphasis on low volcanism and high savagery. It's actually pretty common to find sedimentary flux biomes bordering biomes with igneous layers. Makes for plenty of iron for steel production. Plenty of flat or highly variable elevation embarks too. Max rivers, plentiful lakes, a few small oceans, and tons of natural waterfalls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »

Usually Small Region, and i disable extreme cliff eroding, increase the Titan number, number of Demon and Night Creature types, make caves visible, cull unimportant historical figures, and i stop the gen at like year 100. I leave everything else at the defaults.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:44:46 am »

I've got two custom presets, titled "ICEWORLD" and "RIVERWORLD". can you tell my priorities? :D

The thing I always do no matter what settings is fiddle with the volcanism settings to encourage volcanoes with flux stone.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 11:42:58 am »

I increase good and evil squares, because I enjoy farming Unicorns and battling the undead.  I also increase the proportion of 80-100 levels of volcanism, because I like embarking on completely fluxless embarks sometimes.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »

The only things I do to worldgen are:

[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:0]
   [...]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100]
   [...]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:100]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!