Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Make A Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo?  (Read 3084 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
How To Make A Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo?
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

I assume that a Giant Cave Spider is required, either tame or feral. The problem with that plan is that I already have NINE Forgotten Beasts running amok in my caverns, and it wouldn't be easy to trap a GCS under those circumstances.

Do Elves ever bring them?... GCSs, I mean, not FBs.
Never pet a burning dog.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How To Make A Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »

I don't think elves sell GCS's, but you could mod GCS's to be available on embark.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

You can mod a reaction that creates creatures? HOW :O
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »

You can mod a reaction that creates creatures? HOW :O
There's no known way of actually doing it. There's been dozens of attempts by various people since 40d, but never successful. Less successful since 31.01 came out, as I understand it, since now you can't even make bugged, half-functional quasi-vermin versions of creatures.

darius might be able to manage to make a creature come to life - he managed to turn skull totems into living creatures in 40d - but that's a utility thing, not a "modding" thing as such, and with the material change it might not even be possible to make functional skull totems with a reaction anymore.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lemi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

You need feral GCS to shoot webs across cage traps, webs knock FBs unconscious and the cage traps quickly lock them up, I'm fairly sure you can't make them unconscious any other way. Tame GCS won't work because they won't shoot their webs unless it's in self defense and that gets a bit trickier then just having a feral GCS try to attack your dwarves.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »

You need feral GCS to shoot webs across cage traps, webs knock FBs unconscious and the cage traps quickly lock them up, I'm fairly sure you can't make them unconscious any other way. Tame GCS won't work because they won't shoot their webs unless it's in self defense and that gets a bit trickier then just having a feral GCS try to attack your dwarves.

1) Webbing does not make a creature unconscious - it's a separate condition, which is why this works.

2) You could lock the GCS in your trap room and toss a wild crundle in with it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »

... Tame GCS won't work because they won't shoot their webs unless it's in self defense and that gets a bit trickier then just having a feral GCS try to attack your dwarves.

I've got plenty of captured Goblins that I could use to entice a tame GCS to web the traps. For that matter, if I position them so that they can only see the FB as it crosses the trap-field, a tame GCS ought to web it at that instant, no?

I'm picturing a set-up with the GCS in a drawbridge-shuttered side-room, with a view through fortifications towards the trap-field that the FB must cross. A cage-trapped corridor connecting the two rooms would allow the GCS to path to the target... I believe a valid path is required before they will shoot webs... and a pressure-plate/door trigger combo can ensure that the GCS never actually uses the corridor to move towards the target.

EDIT: back to my first question... are we all agreed that a Forgotten Beast Petting Zoo is not possible unless I already own a Giant Cave Spider?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:51:15 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »

Tame GCS will only web if they're actually being attacked, which doesn't work if the other creature is ignoring, running from or very quickly murdering it.

EDIT: As to your edit, pretty much. You could also get lucky and have a FB web everything for you, but that's very unlikely to happen.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:51:28 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »

As far as I'm aware, you don't need the spider to web the trap.  Instead, you turn off auto-web-collect, and then set the trap as a dump zone, and mark the giant web to be dumped.  Thus, webbed trap.

For that matter, you don't really need a GCS in your possession, you only need its webs somewhere.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:25:50 am »

As far as I'm aware, you don't need the spider to web the trap.  Instead, you turn off auto-web-collect, and then set the trap as a dump zone, and mark the giant web to be dumped.  Thus, webbed trap.

For that matter, you don't really need a GCS in your possession, you only need its webs somewhere.

Still a pretty tricky operation, with nine Forgotten Beasts already rampaging around my caverns.
Never pet a burning dog.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:29 am »

It's not the unconscious status you need to induce, I think it's the "stunned" status. Cavein dust used to do it. Don't know about the current version.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:59:40 am »

It's not the unconscious status you need to induce, I think it's the "stunned" status. Cavein dust used to do it. Don't know about the current version.

FB = [NOSTUN]
Never pet a burning dog.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 04:20:04 am »

Giant Cave Spiders have [WEBIMMUNE]

Forgotten beasts don't have that token.

Have you been able to do this? I'd love to "stockpile" intact GCS webs for future use. I should run a test SCIENCE to verify your claim.

EDIT: RESULT: NOPE, dwarfs will not dump a web. Webs are colored red in the stocks menu, I have seen that used when your civ doesn't own the item (such as for merchant items).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:27:54 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 04:56:01 am »

FB = [NOSTUN]

hrm. even when hit by cavein dust? wow. I'm almost positive it used to work. Ah well.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:53 am »

I once built a megabeast zoo, glass-walled fully engraved enclosures with feeding hatches a level above. I had five or six FBs, two ettins, a cyclops and a dragon as far as I can remember. Wish I'd saved pics of my FB trap designs now. Basically I had a couple of untamed GCS (who were also used for silk farming), and I would dig out a sort of loop tunnel with drawbridges, so that I either had a short straight route open to the cavern, or a longer route that forced you to go round via the spider and a line of traps. The spider's cage was built in a pillbox with a pet-impassable door, and a hoary marmot installed on a chain just outside. When freed by lever, the spider spat web at the marmot, webbing the traps installed behind it. Then I would pull a lever to lower a bridge allowing the spider to exit the pillbox, and the spider would try to walk round to the marmot and get recaptured in another cage trap. Now I had two or three webbed traps, so I pulled the next lever, opening the loop path to the caverns. The beast would try to path to the hoary marmot and be caught in the webbed trap.

I remember it took a LOT of micromanagement, and dwarves (especially children) just loved to run down there for absolutely no job related reason and get themselves caught in the webbed traps, which would cause a lot of cussing on my part as I would then have to start the whole process over. Once I'd just gotten all three traps webbed up after twenty minutes of dwarf-wrangling, a hauler came down to get the spider and her three children ran straight down the trap tunnel before I could lock them out and got themselves all caged in a row, one two three. Start over! I was sorely tempted to order those cages dropped in the volcano.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.
Pages: [1] 2