Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Facebook's Integration Into Everything  (Read 2973 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Facebook's Integration Into Everything
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »

openID is run by google so you already sold your name to a ad company
No, the OpenID Foundation runs OpenID. Google USES OpenID (as do a ton of other sites).

And quite frankly, I don't care about Google. At least their privacy policy doesn't explicitly state that they sell your information :P

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

The internet is littered with the corpses of dead social networking sites.  Facebook's days are numbered.

There's the thing: I'm fairly certain what they're doing now is preventative measures against Facebook's death. You can easily pull a grub out of your skin if it won't do any damage. But if it has itself wired into your skin and pulling it out will cause severe bleeding... I doubt you'd do it. :p

I see stories on local news about some Facebook group and my blood boils.

I feel this way whenever I see a news story about the internet because it's very, very likely that they'll get at least SOMETHING wrong.

"Hacker group Anonymous has attacked Paypal today." Not "A bunch of kids decided to DDOS Paypal due to them closing both Demonoid's and Wikileaks accounts" which is far more factually accurate.

Then again, this is what has lead me to rapidly distrust everything I've heard on the news. If they don't even bother to fact check at all, what's the point?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:13:48 pm »

There's the thing: I'm fairly certain what they're doing now is preventative measures against Facebook's death. You can easily pull a grub out of your skin if it won't do any damage. But if it has itself wired into your skin and pulling it out will cause severe bleeding... I doubt you'd do it. :p

The thing about social networking sites is that there's no real barriers to entry.  Anyone can start one up and copy exactly what Facebook is doing.  If some website has a feature that lets you log in through Facebook it's not gonna be hard for them to replace that with a feature to log in through Facebook Clone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:15 pm »

Why can't I like threads on Bay12 yet?!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »

Yes, I'm annoyed about it.  I have a Facebook account, but this is mostly because it's the only way to get contact from my friends in other places, at this point.  I don't update my status (partially because no one ever comments >_>), and I hardly ever comment on anything...

Well, it's also cool because I have a couple of friends who post neat news articles.

In general, though, it's kind of useless.  I find more awesome stuff here, to be honest, which is why I spend far more time here and almost zero over there.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »

The internet is littered with the corpses of dead social networking sites.  Facebook's days are numbered.

Preventative measures or not, its going to die eventually, especially if more ads start coming.

On the Twitter topic, the only thing I see it usable for is as a login to Echo Bazaar.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:45 pm »

I got 'faceraped' (I gave my cousins my email, and they created a facebook for me without asking, assholes) and now I check it once or twice a day. But all this addiction to facebook is fucking annoying. Fuck! (I'm a little pissed right now about people with 'little man syndrome')
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

Why can't I like threads on Bay12 yet?!

Huh?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »

Don't really understand the hatred for facebook or twitter, personally.  It's just a tool.  I can understand criticising privacy policies and the like, sure, but that's not what you hear the most about.  People complain about how other people make use of them.  Who cares?  Use it how you want to use it. 

I appreciate the convenient, centralized means of keeping up to date and in contact with the majority of people I care about.  I work 4pm-1am.  Sure it's no substitute for real social contact, but without it I would be completely cut off and drift away from everyone.

When there's a major global event happening, twitter becomes my #1 news source.  It's also fun to read random quips from comedians, writers, etc.

And quite frankly these things exist because they're possible now.  If it's interesting and/or has a use and is possible, the internet will create it.  We're just at that point.  If it weren't facebook or twitter, it would be something else.  I'm glad there finally seems to be some stability, meaning I don't think I'll need to worry about how many months I have until the next time everyone I know scatters to a different set of websites/apps.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »

It may just be that I'm a bright eyed youth who has yet to abandon the world and the ideas of hope, but I like Facebook quite a lot.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 10:10:53 pm »

I hate this integration. I don't want Facebook spying on everything I do so that it can learn what I like and then sell that info, (which is why I don't have an account) and I don't like the annoying little icons, especially since I don't use them.
[/post]

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »

I hate this integration. I don't want Facebook spying on everything I do so that it can learn what I like and then sell that info, (which is why I don't have an account) and I don't like the annoying little icons, especially since I don't use them.
Ghostery (firefox extension, probably also has a chrome version) seems to snip most of the little icons out nicely.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 10:17:24 pm »

so does text browsers :P

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 03:33:37 am »

What I've noticed is that FB and Twitter are beginning to appear in news articles almost every day.  Not just little articles, either.  They're on the front page most days of the week, at least on the New York Times, which I read every weekday.  Heck, they mentioned facebook twice and twitter once on the main article about the Egyptian riots, on the front page alone.

This is an ominous omen.  Major social reprogramming is in motion, right now, the depth of which we won't realize for a while yet.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."
Pages: 1 [2] 3