Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: okay, who doesnt savescum?  (Read 8218 times)

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: okay, who doesnt savescum?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

I like roguelike games, so I never savescum. Never had any problems with bugs either. If I were to savescum, I would consider that fortress a lesser achievment. So nah.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »

Same with the "just for bugs" thing myself. Part of the fun of DF is things going horribly wrong.

What's a roguelike, again?

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »

Wikipedia:

"The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death, and turn-based movement. Most roguelikes feature ASCII graphics, with newer ones increasingly offering tile-based graphics. Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »

DF is not a true roguelike, in my opinion. A better definition would be an ASCII game, because it has real-timeish movement, and focuses primarily on the strategy portion of the game.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »

I agree that fortress mode is not a true roguelike, but I deeply appreciate the few common traits that are shared.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:07 pm »

I do it all the time and I love it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 06:17:20 pm »

I only savescum on a bug or a crash. If something bad happens in the fort, and it was an accident by me, oh well, cleaning up after the shit hits the fan is what makes the game fun, I noticed this after reading through the community games forum... and boatmurdered.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »

I savescum exculsively for one reason: possession moods. One day I just decided that I would refuse to ever suffer a possession ever again and I am a happy man. I wish Toady would make the moods possible a short list in the RAWs so I can disable possessions.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 06:52:45 pm »

Never have, never will.
If my favorite multi-legendary starting seven mayor for life dwarf gets shot in the face by a goblin, I guess he shouldn't have been outside.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »

I save when moody dwarves begin construction. If it isn't something I want, I force quit and try again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:50 pm »

I don't on a normal fort, I'd feel (as others have said) that my achievement was lessened as I effectively 'cheated', that said I could care less if others do it, I don't consider it to be a somehow 'moral' issue..

I have used it when I am testing things (such as when I was practicing building waterfalls and practicing breaching aquifers, the point of those fortresses was to learn to do a specific thing so having to restart from scratch try alter how I was doing it would be pointless.

-MB

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

I "cheat" by most definitions all the time. speed 0, reactions, turning layer stones to soil so I don't have to clean up. It's still fun to me, so why bother myself with the fact that it's not how it was meant to be played? I'm not averse to savescumming, but I don't often see the opportunity.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:01 pm »

I savescum a lot on adventure mode, but I never really needed to in fortress mode. That's primarily because things rarely go wrong for me, and when they do, I stop telling my dwarves what to do and instead watch the situation implode. That's part of the fun of the game!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »

I'm not averse to savescumming, but I don't often see the opportunity.

Artifact adamantine left gauntlets are my opportunity. Unless I'm trying to make a full set af artifact adamantine armor, in which case the first is acceptable.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:35 pm »

I'm more likely to abandon my fort and re-embark than to savescum.  I don't get attached to my little guys, and I'm usually dissatisfied with my megaprojects about 8% of the way into them, so it's an easy choice for me to redo the game.
I brake for stumble bumblings
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5