Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: So what the hell is sweetbread?  (Read 18185 times)

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So what the hell is sweetbread?
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »

As a med.stud. I always have to shake my head at those plant vs. meat discussions. One of my profs once said: "We are not omnivores, but anyvores." (pardon the translation) which means that we can basically eat everything and metabolize it in some way, even toxines and inert substances. Discussing the best diet is moot, because there is none. Its all a question of ethics, lifestyle, preferences and "Dosis sola venenum facit" (The dose makes the poison).
I'd limit what can me metabolized in significant quantities to water, salts, organic compounds and ammonia derivatives (yeah, there's a lot of overlap). CO, H2S, H2O2, and lots of other poisons are more 'survived' than 'metabolized'.

Welcome to B12. Now drown in MAGMA. (More often we say "Congratulations! You drowned in MAGMA for your first time, Welcome to B12.)

Thanks a lot, I finally managed to register after 3 Years (!). At least Im legendary +5 at stalking threads now!

And yes, you are ofc right, I wanted to point out that the human body is much too complex and adaptive, so one cant say "Eat this and everything is alright." Im looking at both sides, I had my fair deal of discussions in that regard, even with nice people. Seeing b12 derailing into flaming tells me again that you cant argue about tastes.

And for the topic: I absolutely despise eating everything organic :D Maybe some form of occupational disease, because I cant stand the thought of eating something knowing what....stuff was synthesized or metabolized in it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:22 pm »

I find that derails happen quite often here.

As for DF I think it's rather too cluttered with all those organs. I get piles more meat that I know what to do with. I swear, those cows are packed so full of it you could just poke 'em and have them explode in a bloody mess.
[/quote]

Do you think they could be modded to do that? To where all it would take is a stiff breeze for cows to explode. It could be comical.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »

I am retiring from this thread, due mostly to time and attention constraints. That and I just realized how utterly we derailed it.

But... if you don't eat anything with a carbon chain, what do you eat?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »

Gravel, like any true dwarf.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »

Do you think they could be modded to do that? To where all it would take is a stiff breeze for cows to explode. It could be comical.

Thermonuclear cowsplosion.

Bonus points because several cows going up in a flaming fireball of gore that proceeds to rain burning chunky death on everything sounds pretty terrifying.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:55 pm »

I find that derails happen quite often here.

As for DF I think it's rather too cluttered with all those organs. I get piles more meat that I know what to do with. I swear, those cows are packed so full of it you could just poke 'em and have them explode in a bloody mess.

[/quote]

It is possible to mod them to explode as soon as they are in the map (via severonbreak and heatdam) but not that, as far as I'm aware.

Yes, it would be hilarious.

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »

Im in for beautifully and carefully brewed beer. Or fruit liqor, for vitamins. Very dwarfenly. If you need iron, just get a pick, hematite and suck it a bit! The possibilities are endless! *tries to teach his dwarfs to eat stones from now on*

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »

That was an interesting derail aside from the tense emotion over diet. Ha ha, internet.

Now that we've managed to get persecution, ethics, and rape into a "So what the hell is sweetbread?" post: How can sweetbread be weaponized? The use of magma is encouraged, but not required.

Bay 12 has not figured out to weaponize sweetbread yet? For shame. For shaaaaaame!
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »

Im in for beautifully and carefully brewed beer. Or fruit liqor, for vitamins. Very dwarfenly. If you need iron, just get a pick, hematite and suck it a bit! The possibilities are endless! *tries to teach his dwarfs to eat stones from now on*

I wish that would be posslble ingame.
That was an interesting derail aside from the tense emotion over diet. Ha ha, internet.

Now that we've managed to get persecution, ethics, and rape into a "So what the hell is sweetbread?" post: How can sweetbread be weaponized? The use of magma is encouraged, but not required.

Bay 12 has not figured out to weaponize sweetbread yet? For shame. For shaaaaaame!

Poison. Or mod it to have a temperature as hot as the surface of the Sun.

Leonard DeVir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »

Does sweetbread burn well? Im curious if I could weaponize it indirectly - as fuel for a fire pit.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »

Does sweetbread burn well? Im curious if I could weaponize it indirectly - as fuel for a fire pit.

I don't think it would. Last time I checked meat was not a viable replacement for logs in a fireplace, so DF probably isn't too far off.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »

Back somewhat on-topic... I was amazed at first when I saw my dwarves were fine with eating brains, lungs, intestines and other miscellaneous organs. At that time, my forts were usually filled with meat, so it felt weird that my dwarves were okay with eating offal when plain old meat was available.

This is kind of a misconception- that it's normal to prefer regular meat to offal.  It's normal for "us" - that being largely English speakers from English countries. 

I read an article a while back that said a lot of offal (heart in particular) is actually healthier than muscle meat - you get better protein and vitamins/minerals with less fat.  You could argue that we value it less simply because it reminds us that we are eating fellow mammals instead of this abstracted meat that comes in plastic seal wrap.

And I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I'd rather have sausage than steak.  And guess what sausage is?  Ground up organs and joints wrapped in intestines.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:49 pm »

And haggis.

There is also blodpudding, which is a sausage made from blood.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »

I love fruits, veggies, grains and so on. I also love meat.  I try to eat a balanced diet, but the few times where I cut out meat I reacted very badly, came down sick, etc.  Maybe it was just in my head, but I don't think so. I also got bitchier than a noble with an unmet mandate without it :P
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »

Well, generally demand drives up price more than factual quality. And to some extent it's snobbery... plenty of tenderloin is wasted on dishes where coarser but more flavourful cuts would be more appealing. Liver tends to be afforded particular status in non-industrialised cultures, and even in industrialised ones it often goes to the hunter before anything else is divided. This makes some sense as it's very valuable (nutritionally) but doesn't keep well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11