Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: So what the hell is sweetbread?  (Read 18209 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: So what the hell is sweetbread?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:50 pm »

Humans are also smart, and capable of understanding how diets work and how to get all the right nutrients from different sources.  If we're going by human nature, then we shouldn't have cities because humans are naturally distrustful, or airplanes because humans naturally can't fly, and we shouldn't have cars or wagons because humans can naturally walk on their own.

As it happens, we're a rather intelligent bunch who's rarely restricted by the limits nature imposes.
The big difference is that by choosing to be vegetarians, you restrict your options, not expand them. It's not much different to cutting off your genitalia and choose not to pass down life. Not that horrific of course, but still self-imposed restriction basing on groundless belief.

"Most" is not a valid argument.
EVERYONE craves for meat. It's instinctive. Pound by pound meat give more energy then dunno, cabbage? Not everyone on earth are rich snobs who can be picky on what they eat.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »

I like how we slaughter kittens for food and farm mermaids for their bones, and yet are squeamish about eating neck glands.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »

Meat is inefficient compared to eating the plants directly, but it also makes nature do some of the work for us.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »

A) Everyone does not crave meat, hence the vegetarians.  Also even if everyone does, that does not mean everyone acts on their cravings.  The craving to rape and murder are often ignored, even though pretty much every able-bodied male gets similar urges on a daily basis.

B) You don't have to be rich to be vegetarian, especially because a salad costs less than a steak, and you can very easily SAVE money by avoiding meat.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

The big difference is that by choosing to be vegetarians, you restrict your options, not expand them. It's not much different to cutting off your genitalia and choose not to pass down life. Not that horrific of course, but still self-imposed restriction basing on groundless belief.

Cutting off genitalia is irreversible, not to mention painful and dangerous. Vegetarianism is none of these things.

Also not all vegetarians are voluntary.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 03:59:26 pm »

Huh, by "sane" vegetarians, I mostly meant "vegetarians who accept most people don't share their diet, who are well-informed about their own diet, and who won't push down their beliefs down one's throat", just so you know.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »

I do enjoy it when people don't force their meat-centric ideas onto me...  I'm sorry that my lifestyle upsets you so much.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:28 pm »

The craving to rape and murder are often ignored, even though pretty much every able-bodied male gets similar urges on a daily basis.

Wait

What

Huh, by "sane" vegetarians, I mostly meant "vegetarians who accept most people don't share their diet, who are well-informed about their own diet, and who won't push down their beliefs down one's throat", just so you know.
I do enjoy it when people don't force their meat-centric ideas onto me...  I'm sorry that my lifestyle upsets you so much.

This, unfortunately, is problematic because it rarely happens. Most groups do this, whether it be religious, political, ethical or otherwise. If you listen to politicians, why not vegetarians/meat-eaters?
I don't mind, to be honest. I just look at it as healthy, friendly debate.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »

I see eating meat as a service to the vegans/vegetarians. If people like me decided not to eat animals there wouldn't be enough land to grow crops suitable for human consumption. The advantage of eating animals is that they eat stuff like grass and scrub that we can't digest.
I don't eat sweetbreads because stuff I find more appetizing is readily available, but if necessity required I would definitely eat them.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »

A) Everyone does not crave meat, hence the vegetarians.  Also even if everyone does, that does not mean everyone acts on their cravings.  The craving to rape and murder are often ignored, even though pretty much every able-bodied male gets similar urges on a daily basis.
Everybody craves for meat. Simple test: Raise 100 children to 3-4 years old as omnivores, feed equally amount of vegetable and meat until they understand their diet. Let them starve for about 3 days. Show & ask them what they'd want, equally amount of meat or salad.

B) You don't have to be rich to be vegetarian, especially because a salad costs less than a steak, and you can very easily SAVE money by avoiding meat.
Your thinking is jaded because you live in a society with economy. Think of yourself as an animal because that's exactly what we are when considering basic needs. As I have said, pound by pound, meat give more energy then vegetable. This is a fact. Thus, given the choice between equal amount of meat and vegetables, meat is always a better choice for survival reasons. The 4 thousands years or so of civilization caused little changes in bodily needs comparing to the 6+ millions years of evolution prior to discard the latter.

On a side note, without laws and enforcement in place, rapes and murders do rampart.

EDIT: should mention that of course I cant force you to do whatever you are doing because of other humanely characteristics which we both share.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:12:59 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »

The craving to rape and murder are often ignored, even though pretty much every able-bodied male gets similar urges on a daily basis.

Hey, speak for yourself.  I only get those craves every other day.  :P

I think the anti-vegetarians are simply amazed that there are people who don't want to eat delicious meat, and want to reassure themselves by disproving their existence.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:58 pm »

Owee, sweetbread ! I tried liver once when I was in Botswana, it was pretty meh. I tried veal's head (I don't know exactly what part of it) it was pretty meh as well.

On the other hand, food with tentacles, yummmmmm ....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:49 pm »

Ok, if the standard of testing is to starve children to prove your point, then I don't think there's any real argument I can make.  You're using insane troll logic now and there's nothing I can really say to that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

This, unfortunately, is problematic because it rarely happens. Most groups do this, whether it be religious, political, ethical or otherwise. If you listen to politicians, why not vegetarians/meat-eaters?
I don't mind, to be honest. I just look at it as healthy, friendly debate.

Why?
-because my reasons for my diet are pretty personal and I don't see a point in forcing it upon anyone else. I naively expect the same from others.
-I'm fine with debating over freedom of speech, reforms, etc, but surprise! I don't like debating about everything! I don't want to debate about every single part of life! Or rather, seeing the turn from this topic, I equally naively expect other people to agree to disagree when needed. We can't all have the same opinion, so we'll have to get along with different ones.
-to finish the list of things I naively expect, I'll say politicians are expected to bring up issues and start debates. If non-politicians want to start a discussion, I fully expect them to be well-informed on the subject. I don't want to defend my vision of things against people who actually have no idea of what they are talking about, don't want to receive information, and didn't even need to start the debate in the first place.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »

Sweetbread doesn't sound that bad in comparison actually.  Regular steak is pretty much just muscle and fat.  A gland is just a different form of tissue, a more tender one understandably, and once something is breaded and deep fried, what difference does it make?

This may be subjective, but I'd encourage non-vegetarians here to overcome their prejudices and try offals (sweetbread, kidney, liver, intestines, tongue, heart, brains) when presented with the opportunity. In regards to sweetbread and intestines (prepared in the form of chitterlings mainly), I'd even say you should seek out an opportunity.

This is because I myself have tried all the stuff I mentioned above (grilled... I'd figure that deep fried everything would taste well), and I've found all of them to taste nice, or delicious even, save for the brains.

Brains weren't awful either, if I had to, I'd eat them again, but I would choose any of the other items over it.

A note on heart, I've only had chicken ones. In Brazil, they put chicken heart on everything.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11