Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: So what the hell is sweetbread?  (Read 18190 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
So what the hell is sweetbread?
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:05 am »

And how are my dwarves getting it from butchering puppies?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: So what the hell is sweetbread?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:20:12 am »

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:51 am »

[Urist McMisterAlways has been miserable lately. He was nauseated by Wikipedia lately.]
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:29:45 am »

Sweetbread is the glandular tissues from the neck area.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:08 am »

Much like veal, "neck glands" just doesn't sound that tasty...
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:54:30 am »

[Urist McMisterAlways vomits!]

[Urist McMisterAlways retches!]

[Urist McMisterAlways cancels butchering: can't bring himself to make his dwarves eatt hat.]

[Urist McMisterAlways has gone melancholy.]

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:56:46 am »

This is why I always dump sweetbreads (and intestines... and brains.. etc) if I see them in my food stockpiles.  Or I sell them to the elves, if I want to take their wood before I cover them in magma.  If I forget about it then inevitably some idiot dwarf cook will make a strawberry stew with dwarven syrup and crundle intestines.

Is it possible to edit the raw files so they never get produced by a butcher?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:16:41 am »

This is why I always dump sweetbreads (and intestines... and brains.. etc) if I see them in my food stockpiles.  Or I sell them to the elves, if I want to take their wood before I cover them in magma.  If I forget about it then inevitably some idiot dwarf cook will make a strawberry stew with dwarven syrup and crundle intestines.

Is it possible to edit the raw files so they never get produced by a butcher?

Each animal has components that say what they get butchered into. I'm sure you could take the organs out....

"[BODY:QUADRUPED_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2HEAD_HORN]"

At a guess just ditch "Organs" and "Guts". Be careful doing it on animals you attack though, as I believe that it might make it harder to kill (by not having as many "Vital organs" to hit)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:25 am »

Hey some of that stuff can be pretty good!

"Intestines" are just sausages in my opinion. Liver's nice with onions, and who'd turn down a steak and kidney pie?

The eyes are the only thing that gets me about dwarven cooking really. Forgotten beast eye roast, just no.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:17:42 am »

The eyes are the only thing that gets me about dwarven cooking really. Forgotten beast eye roast, just no.
I live in asia and I enjoy poking (cooked) chicken's eyes off and eat them. Ditto to carps's.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:50 am »

I live in asia and I enjoy poking (cooked) chicken's eyes off and eat them. Ditto to carps's.

Urist Mc3000 cancels Clean Self: Vomiting     x4
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:27 am »

Few things really get you anymore after you've realized what eggs really are, and you never quite knew what was in your favourite fast food's burgers to begin with.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:30 am »

This is a masterful beef taco by Taco Bell.  It is made from minced textured vegetable protein, finely minced oats, minced high fructose corn syrup, and minuscule amounts of finely minced beef.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:42 am »

I'd like to be able to cook the stuff into Pölsa. It's essentially like Haggis, but 'tis more delicious.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

They're dwarfs. They don't use the toilet, clean pools of blood and vomit or change their clothes until ordered to. Of course they don't flinch at eating eyes or intestines, in fact they're almost Scottish.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11