Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: So what the hell is sweetbread?  (Read 18182 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: So what the hell is sweetbread?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »

I understand your point, and I'm not against eating animal products or anything (don't lump me in with the activists), but this irked me. Probably why I don't have a job in the meat industry.
what irked you is the gory yet necessary actions needed to slaughter the animal and process it. Considering the majorities of westerners dont know how to prepare a chicken, let alone pigs, cows or monkeys, I can kinda understand. Heck, they even censor documentaries on lion hunting buffaloes.

I know that these things don't sell!
Can you explain why pig feet are so god damn expensive in EU then?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »

I understand your point, and I'm not against eating animal products or anything (don't lump me in with the activists), but this irked me. Probably why I don't have a job in the meat industry.
what irked you is the gory yet necessary actions needed to slaughter the animal and process it. Considering the majorities of westerners dont know how to prepare a chicken, let alone pigs, cows or monkeys, I can kinda understand. Heck, they even censor documentaries on lion hunting buffaloes.

I know that these things don't sell!
Can you explain why pig feet are so god damn expensive in EU then?

I know basically how these things work, I just don't like seeing them on a regular basis. I'm glad that there are people who don't mind it so much doing it instead.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »

Apparently, pigs feet are expensive because stores in the SE US are stockpiling them on their shelves.  I don't recall how much they cost, except that on the weekly dusting routines we'd always have to dust the tops of the pig feet jars, because we'd only sold two jars the entire year I worked there.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »

Who'd turn down a steak and kidney pie?
Kidneys taste like old wee.
I'm not sure if I should take your word on that or not. How do you know what old wee tastes like?

Edit: That video demonstrates how NOT to kill an animal for food. You should be able to perform the killing blow basically instantly, in a manner impossible to do as depicted. Of course, at least three cameras would be needed to shoot that video in one take; the fact that none of them shows a blow landing implies either iron-willed cameramen and a weak-stomach editor, or a small special effects budget.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:01:41 pm by decius »
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:26 pm »

Apparently, pigs feet are expensive because stores in the SE US are stockpiling them on their shelves.  I don't recall how much they cost, except that on the weekly dusting routines we'd always have to dust the tops of the pig feet jars, because we'd only sold two jars the entire year I worked there.
I cant think of any reasons to by 6 months old body parts aside from black magic or garden fertilizing.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »

To be fair, they're super-preserved, kept in tightly packed jars and cans floating in some form of fluid.  Maybe that's why they never sell...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »

To be fair, they're super-preserved, kept in tightly packed jars and cans floating in some form of fluid.  Maybe that's why they never sell...

Perhaps they are pickled?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:18 pm »

I very well understand the point of most (sane) vegetarians out there, I just like meat too much to attempt a vain struggle against my usual diet. Plus, I'm trying to use the most of the meat I'm using.
I personally just avoid eyes, tongues, and a couple more organs because I'm not completely open to the idea yet (though I don't mind of anyone else does), and some things, like hooves, make me indifferent because I don't have the slightest idea how to cook or eat that.
Besides, as I said, I reconciled with the idea even I don't know what is in some products I eat. I love burgers, and I'm fine with the idea that it is not only massively unhealthy, there might also be many "disgusting"/unknown bits in the patty. Embrace the mystery meat!

More on topic, sweetbread doesn't disgust me much in its description (I didn't even know what it was!), and the picture looks quite appetizing. Maybe I should start worrying.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »

Sweetbread doesn't sound that bad in comparison actually.  Regular steak is pretty much just muscle and fat.  A gland is just a different form of tissue, a more tender one understandably, and once something is breaded and deep fried, what difference does it make?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »

I very well understand the point of most (sane) vegetarians out there
Human are born omnivores. Vegetarians are akin to people who deny the existence of their arms and should never be considered "sane".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »

Humans are also smart, and capable of understanding how diets work and how to get all the right nutrients from different sources.  If we're going by human nature, then we shouldn't have cities because humans are naturally distrustful, or airplanes because humans naturally can't fly, and we shouldn't have cars or wagons because humans can naturally walk on their own.

As it happens, we're a rather intelligent bunch who's rarely restricted by the limits nature imposes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:43 pm »

Plus, humans can also understand that meat (at least western meat) is a stupid thing to eat due to the amount of grain needed/CO2 emiited by its production.

A Begetarian that still like a tasty steak from time to time.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »

perhaps, but most humans like eating meat. We could forgo a lot of things to be more efficient, but we would also be giving up everything we enjoy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

Yeah, but do you need to eat meat every single day? And do you like eating shitty meat that much? I'd rather eat a good veal contrefilet or a nice argentinian steak once a weak than a burger every day.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »

"Most" is not a valid argument.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11