Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bad news.  (Read 1313 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bad news.
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Although I'm sure you've noticed by now, VOLCANOS WILL ERUPT NEXT VERSION. There goes our last supply of "safe" magma. We still have demon pits, but those are too deadly. Comment.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Hooray!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:47:14 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

In other words, just make a HUGE magma channel connecting to the rest of the fortress in this version, and watch the massacure begin. Bonus points for throwing a megabeast/kobolds/elephants/carp/GSC (Giant Cave Spiders)/demons/whatever in. That ought to be fun and finally be more awesome than Boatmurdered.

PS. 3-D Boatmurdered. Best idea ever. Just make elephants killers again and we are done.

Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

You could fill up whole valleys with lava then pour in the water and bam nice flat terrain  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

Magma + Water = Dwarven Concrete.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:44:00 am »

I'm sure one of the bloats is something to do with volcanoes erupting. Be careful . . .
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

The Volcano Blamedfires has erupted!
A section of the cavern has collapsed! x10
Dwarf cancels eat: resting injury x 50

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

The game just got yet another new vector for your colonists to die. I love the way Toady isn't oversoftening the game, heh.
fox has become enraged!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

I'm going to search for the highest vent i can find, build a pump tower as high as i can go, activate it and put an adventurer on it modded so he can't die from hunger or thirst. Then, wait till the entire world is covered with it. Retire, reclaim and shut off the pumps. Wait for the entire world to congeal.

Settle anywhere and get 100 or so extra layers of obsidian.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

They will? I thought Toady just made the vents refill...
quote:

#  02/08/2008: I emptied out the top three levels of the magma pipe into a large underground chamber, and then I watched the lava bubble its way back up the pipe. I did some save compat work with this, but I can't guarantee there won't be some kind of horrible calamity where a previously dormant volcano starts to erupt on load.

* fixed problem with world generation civ region selection
   * stopped temples from being placed against unallocated areas
   * stopped cave entrance from sealing up after settling in dwarf mode, and other related oddness
   * handled some cleaning problems in world gen
   * fixed mem leak with architectural info
   * added some more checks for stale complaint meetings
   * more robustly handled case where meeting target and meeting initiator are one dwarf with two appointments
   * added filling information to volcanos and made volcanos fill slowly

Wait... "horrible calamity." I thought that just meant a save compatibility thing, if that's what led you to this conclusion. I could be wrong, of course.

Perhaps Toady could clear this up? Volcanic eruptions are absolutely necessary, and would be a fantastic way for half a fortress to be utterly annihilated in seconds.  :D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

New ones will just refill to my knowledge.  Old ones will often just refill, but it's tricky to judge the height from an old save, so they could (very often) over-refill on load.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>New ones will just refill to my knowledge.  Old ones will often just refill, but it's tricky to judge the height from an old save, so they could (very often) over-refill on load.</STRONG>

this is more cool than anything... You should probably built this in like the old river overflowing code of the 2d version... just on a per chance base. (maybe per year, so that eruptions aren't too often) Of course it's your game, just my 2 cents.  ;)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

Hey Toady,

You could make overrefilling an event for all vents, (with a proper warning, like  with cave river overflowings). And if people complain (I wouldn't) you could add an entry to the init to activate/deactivate them.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

Consistency issues with actual eruptions.

Anything that can happen randomly in your fortress, has had plenty of time to happen randomly thousands of times before you show up.  So lava erupting and flowing out over the mountain, covering it with a fresh layer of obsidian?  Yeah, no...That doesn't sound good.

Now, if lava that cooled by itself (without touching water?) instead turned into something else...like some material that naturally erodes and doesn't leave usable rocks behind when mined, or some material that naturally converts to soil after a few years...Then it sounds a little closer.

It just gets very silly if a volcano erupting can radically change the environment...in a way that hasn't already happened many, many times.  Still I look forwards to -some- kind of horrific doom.

Ooo, maybe volcanos can spew forth some horrifying boiling-hot-acidic-water type of thing like you see in the disaster movies!  That wouldn't cause permanent changes to the landscape yet.  But it would nuke the heck out of trees, devastate the local wildlife, and send you scrambling to seal all the entrances to your fortress and hope they don't leak, plus render contaminated pools undrinkable for years.  Now THAT sounds like a fun kind of losing.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2