Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 571 times)

Kurren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Another Newbie
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:56 am »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and to Adventurer Mode. I've only really been successful in killing a few bandit leaders, but most random Spearmen will put me down pretty quick. I've read a lot of the posts here and they provide awesome info, but I still feel like I'm failing pretty hard at this. If you would, please take a moment to help a newbie!

1) I slaughter minions, but cannot successfully hit or wrestle leaders (and some Spearmen) at Skilled/Talented Wrestling. What's up?
2) I can purchase weapons and armor. I can't purchase a crutch, but I did find one. Am I doing something wrong?
3) It says the trader owes me $140. On the table is $190 and $250. Where's my money?
4) Bogeymen were infurating! I could not hit or escape them no matter how hard I tried. I put Night Creatures and Savagery (as described in one of the threads) at "None" to disable them. I feel like I'm cheating, but I really don't know how I can handle them. Tips?
5) I hardly ever end up near water. Do I really need to start with swimming?
6) I've been playing as a "Hero" but see that most of you play as "Peasant". I would like to get good enough to play as a "Peasant" as well. I know that the only technical difference is starting points (and a mention in Legacy), but how does your playstyle differ?

I really do appreciate any help you guys can provide. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and will continue to absorb as much as I can. To be honest, I'm enjoying Adventurer Mode a lot more than I ever enjoyed Fortress mode.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:42:22 am »

1) Hitting your target requires that you have sufficient fighter skill, and it also affects grabbing them with wrestling.
2) No, there is no wrongdoing on your part, crutches just aren't sold anywhere.
3) I suggest you trade only in objects if you can, money isn't transferable between civilizations and is just a hassle.
4) If you don't want bogeymen, bring a buddy with you. Even if they're just a peasant you picked up in some random hamlet, the bogeys will avoid you.
5) You can only safely learn to swim from scratch by playing in the waves at a beach. It is better to start with at least novice swimming and train from there.
6) Being a peasant is indeed difficult, but it's really up to personal preference. Personally, I play as a peasant and, being weak, I sneak around and throw stolen arrows at my enemies. Even now, throwing is overpowered, so even a peasant can kill trolls with thrown rocks.

You are not alone in preferring Adv mode to fort mode, though the things that occur here are a little more... disturbing than what you may find in fortress mode.

Kurren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:39:09 am »

Alrighty. Thanks for the swift reply! I guess I'll get that fighter skill up and see how things go.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:34 am »

6) Being a peasant is indeed difficult, but it's really up to personal preference. Personally, I play as a peasant and, being weak, I sneak around and throw stolen arrows at my enemies. Even now, throwing is overpowered, so even a peasant can kill trolls with thrown rocks.

I usually resort to this when a raid on a bandit camp goes poorly.

Kurren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:12 am »

Now that I've started raising Fighter, I'm doing 1000x better. Oddly, I never took any nerve damage before today. Every one of my Legendary Wrestlers (trained up on whoever I knocked out first) got paralyzed below the waist tonight. My sword guy lost a hand entirely.