Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh great, a marriage... WAIT, WTF?!?!  (Read 4676 times)

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh great, a marriage... WAIT, WTF?!?!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 09:32:44 pm »

I've had quite a few forts where my first 2 miners get married.

But yeah, I always get an announcement of marriage.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »

I see the message all the damn time. It's almost entirely because I use 1-tile meeting areas.
1-tile meeting areas can also result in your fortress's children all becoming legendary in every social skill.  I would advise just using it to get marriages and then switch to a standard one later unless you want your entire population to blink blue.

Ah. So THAT's why my dwarves have no friends, only a handful of passing acquaintances, and average social skills at most...

I gave them a big dining room, a statue garden of same size, a room full of wells, all set as meeting halls. Combined to near-forced-labor for everyone... My dwarves with the most relatives have their whole family in the fortress.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 10:00:46 pm »

What is a formal wedding celebration among dwarves?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had a number of betrothals, but never once have they had a formal celebration. I've always assumed it was due to the lack of a facility or enough booze or the right kind of animal glob, but it does beg CapnUrist's question: Has anyone ever seen a Dwarven Marriage celebration? Do they exist at all or are they an unimplemented feature? And for the sake of all that is Dwarven, how much booze must one of those benders consume? Cat skin lamp shades and dragonfly gut garters, wee-hah!
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »

Marriages = more kids = less fps.
Part of the reason i made poisonous war-cats was to get rid of them more easily.
I want to die a death of clowns and magma. NOT ANOTHER FUCKING FPS DEATH
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »

Has anyone ever seen a Dwarven Marriage celebration? Do they exist at all or are they an unimplemented feature?

I did. Lemme quote myself...

Desert fortress, 7th year with low population (50-60).

The year before, the elven caravan left in a hurry after being presented some useless piece of wooden armor (probably taken from an elf corpse). Oh well...

This year, they come back, but I only notice them when they are at the entrance. I call my haulers to bring them my special reserve (former goblin loincloths stained with several blood sources, stuff like that). And of course I call my broker. Fine.

I very short while later, there's a big announcement : my broker, who also happens to be a count and the mayor, decides it's the perfect time to marry miss Digger. Both were of the 7 founders of the fortress.

The party takes ages. Finally, the broker has enough and goes eat a bite. Take a break. Sip a beer or two or ten. Finally take a long break until the elves decide to leave.

I had no need of their goods, of course. Still, it makes me wonder... was my broker so unwilling to deal with the pointed-ears?

Long story short : marriage is a good excuse for dwarves to party, but probably needs a big enough (or beautiful enough) meeting hall (or statue garden).
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »

I've had a few marriage celebrations, it's just an "Attend Party" sinkhole, nothing amazing, except who's invited.  Apparently, there's preferential treatment to have relatives and close friends to the party, as opposed to the sloppy orgy of the regular Party.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:57 pm »

marriage=your cheap ass needs to give the couple only one bed.
LOSING IS FUN!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 12:59:43 am »

If you have a designated meeting zone but no meeting hall or statue garden, your dwarves will not party at all, let alone during marriage. This does not prevent them from having good thoughts from public legendary dining rooms.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 01:03:58 am »

If a dorf gets married and they only use one bed, is the other bed un-assigned to them?  If no, then I need to make a macro that will go through and free/remake room to cycle beddings.  My captain of the guard does NOT need three bedrooms!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 01:14:02 am »

If a dorf gets married and they only use one bed, is the other bed un-assigned to them?  If no, then I need to make a macro that will go through and free/remake room to cycle beddings.  My captain of the guard does NOT need three bedrooms!

lol a noble lover
LOSING IS FUN!

OrbinDules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:54 am »

I know for a fact that dwarves can have children even if they're not married. My question is thus: will dwarves who are "Lovers" share a bed ever?
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

I know for a fact that dwarves can have children even if they're not married.
Chestbursters.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 05:42:15 pm »

Married dwarves will sleep in the same bed at the same time, even given a second bed.  As far as I can tell, all dwarves can be assigned only one bedroom, so when two are married they share the better one.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »

Not sure if married dwarves get unassigned a bed but I know you can assign multiple beds to one dwarf.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:05 pm »

Married dwarves bring both beds into the marriage. You will need to free the second room by hand.

Really Chrome? "Dwarves" is not a word? Not even capitalized?
This is to make me recognizable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3