Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Full map underground Lake/River =( Is it pumpable?  (Read 1012 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Full map underground Lake/River =( Is it pumpable?
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

Hi,

I've been building a massive fortress with two levels of storage roofed in and a huge farm network. I just got it all finished and started to dig down to sort out the rest of my stuff. I get down 3 levels and it seems like there is a massive underground lake where i'm at. It says river 7/7. I've got dig holes all over my map and 3 levels down i hit water or ice.

Is there a way to pump the lake enough to build a tunnel though to the bottom? So that i can start digging again? I need magma so I can build forges. I just can't figure out how to get passed this damn river. I've got one forge but I just ran out of coal/wood so i'm kinda stuck until my next trade comes in.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Full map underground Lake/River =( Is it pumpable?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:08:25 pm »

Screenshot?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »

If I remember correctly, you said before you were still pretty new to the game. Are you familiar with aquifers?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Aquifer
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »

Yeah, it's probably an auquifer. See the wiki for how to deal with it.

Fakeedit : Ninjaed.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

Yeah, it's probably an auquifer. See the wiki magma for how to deal with it.

Fixed.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

Yeah, it's probably an auquifer. See the wiki for how to deal with it.

Thanks!

That was it. I'm in a tundra place so i used the ice to dig though. So now I found Magma 78 levels below my fortress.... Looks like i'll be moving deeper.... or building maga pumps =)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:56:18 pm »

Pump stacks will destroy your FPS. See the piston method or simply build your fort over the magma sea. Or inside it, for more fun.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »

Heh, I remember the first time I dealt with an aquifer, I ended up flooding the entire map.  Good times.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »

Pump stacks will destroy your FPS. See the piston method or simply build your fort over the magma sea. Or inside it, for more fun.
See the thread linked in my signature. It discusses a design for a pump stack that doesn't kill your FPS when used on magma, or at the least doesn't reduce it by nearly so much. There's even a case where a pump stack was retrofitted to the new design and caused a gain of nearly 80 FPS. It's something useful to know about.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:41 pm »

Do they destroy FPS when turned off?  It's easy to turn them on and off, you just build hatches over the reactor pump intakes.

I think the piston method is very cool but a pump stack can provide enough magma to power all sorts of things.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

Somewhere on this forum someones had a thread about a better designed magma pumpstack. Basically, you have a small reservoir on each z-level. This reduces the fps drop because the game will no longer have to re-calculate the temperature for every level.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:51 pm »

Magma pumps can also be turned off by disengaging the power too.  If you've got windmills connected to gear assemblies, you can link the gear assembly to a lever and shut power at-will.  Possibly re-direct power as well, if you make a tree of gear assemblies that lead to other areas, so that you can shut off your magma pump, and turn on your waterfall machine.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:11 pm »

That pump stack is pure genius!
In that case, carry on.
I increased the thickness of my worlds so I can have more materials, so making a pump stack is completely inviable for me unless I build 150+ pumps or so. Luckily I always embark with a volcano.

By the way, Volcanoes almost always pierce aquafiers if there are any. There'll be quite a few blocks of rock around the pipe going straight through the aquafier.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)