Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: things to do to increase FPS  (Read 5987 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: things to do to increase FPS
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »

This is a yearly shower, I'm making an alert state that orders everyone into the shower for about 2 minutes while they get deloused.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 06:14:04 pm »

A ditch across a corridor, filled with 2/7 or 3/7 water, works perfectly as a bath and can be built in a few seconds.  More complicated methods are fine but all you need is a ditch, and you can set that up in your initial dig-out, and fill it when you get your first bucket, rather than planning and/or putting it off for years, or *having* to leave something on that doesn't work as well for this task and might actually hurt your FPS.

Try to do your fighting inside, so stuff will be cleaned.  Combine this with the ditch and blood is not a big problem.  The dwarves will even clean the ditch.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:54 pm »

Plus, set it between two meeting areas and dwarves and pets will wander back and forth when idle. Stray animals will wander back and forth all the time. Find a way to put a bath in the path to the booze, dining room, or bedroom complex, and that takes care of working dwarves as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:44 pm »

Ok, well I also want to make the shower.  It's a definitive and interesting way to mass-wash those stinking dwarves.I certainly could build a trench somewhere, and it might work just as well, but I personally want to build a delousing chamber as part of my internal plumbing.  Perhaps a few at different areas as a sort of "emergency chemical shower" setup.  This is all more for flare than actual ability.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 01:26:20 am »

if you have weather on and dont mind letting dwarves going outside, you dont need any dwarf wash, rain would clean all dwarves & pets and leave contaminants on the floor which you can then us dfclean to get rid of.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 01:50:16 am »

Yes, and if you are willing to channel out 3 tiles, make a pond zone over them, and delete the pond zone at 2/7 or 3/7 in all three tiles, the cleaning is done permanently without dfhack.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 04:38:53 am »

Would it help with FPS to have all rooms along the same, non-branching main hallway?

Also, what I do is embark on a 2x2 area and set z-levels before first caverns to 50 so that I have plenty of room for the fort despite the small surface area. Drawbacks are:
  • less trees, due to less surface area
  • enemies are at your entrance very fast, since distance to the map edge is short
  • small chance of not having access to the best metal. However, this can be perfectly avoided by putting the embark square into a corner of the map and then moving it only in two-step increments.

As for the main advantage: currently 80 dorfs at 160 FPS. I haven't been able to check with more, though, so I don't know how fast it will be at 200 dorfs.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:33 am »

World size affects Fortress FPS very much surprisingly.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:22 am »

Items can make a huge difference. I was cleaning up in a megaproject fort to prepare for adventurer mode and I decided to get rid of everything I could so I didn't have to pick over a surface strewn with zinc bars and ore and horse bones and what not. I smelted an entire z-level's worth of galena and sphalerite ore, then built an entire two storey meeting hall/dining room out of the lead and zinc bars. Every other metal bar got encrusted onto something. All the gems got encrusted onto furniture which was then built. The stones got built into other stuff. Goblin gear got melted down and reused. Excess armor and weapons got melted and reused. And the stuff I couldn't find anything to do with got magmadumped. I saw my FPS go up from 7-10 to the 30s by the end, when about the only loose stuff I had remaining was food and booze and the stuff I'd picked out for my adventurer to grab. Course you can't go that minimalist in a working fort, but it doesn't hurt to throw useless or semi-useful stuff out. I'm definintely going to make an effort to run tidier forts after seeing that effect.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:49 am »

Whoa.  :o

I did the experiment. Max FPS set to 20,000 so I couldn't possibly hit the cap, and then created a medium and a pocket world.

Both embarks on 2x2 area, flat tundra, Play Now, done nothing but unpausing the game at start:

Medium world: 295 FPS
Pocket world:  450 FPS

Time to rebuild my fortress on a new world, I guess. Should this be considered a bug and reported to the bug tracker?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:11:57 am by Rask »

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 08:09:17 am »

Whoa.  :o

I did the experiment. Max FPS set to 20,000 so I couldn't possibly hit the cap, and then created a medium and a pocket world.

Both embarks on 2x2 area, flat tundra, Play Now, done nothing but unpausing the game at start:

Medium world: 295 FPS
Pocket world:  450 FPS

Time to rebuild my fortress on a new world, I guess.

Switch of invasions on the medium world. I read that that can be a huge contributor to FPS as the game has to analyse the whole world to see if anyone is invading you.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 08:12:41 am »

Switch of invasions on the medium world. I read that that can be a huge contributor to FPS as the game has to analyse the whole world to see if anyone is invading you.

No, that's silly. I'm playing FOR the invasions.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:33 am »

please elaborate, I dont see any influence.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 08:19:05 am »

See my test above:

2x2 embark on medium world: 295 FPS
2x2 embark on pocket world: 450 FPS
Added: 2x2 embark on pocket world generated with civilisations set to 120 and six invader races modded in, just to see if more invaders in the medium region were the cause for it being slower: still 450+ FPS

Edit: that's 50% more FPS just from world size  :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:20:40 am by Rask »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:42 am »

See my test above:

2x2 embark on medium world: 295 FPS
2x2 embark on pocket world: 450 FPS
Added: 2x2 embark on pocket world generated with civilisations set to 120 and six invader races modded in, just to see if more invaders in the medium region were the cause for it being slower: still 450+ FPS

Edit: that's 50% more FPS just from world size  :o
You have problems with ram or it is a glitchy embark maybe? Below is my testing:
2x2 embark on small world: 1200+ FPS
2x2 embark on large world: 1200+ FPS
2x2 embark on a particularly wierd large world: 300+ FPS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5