Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: things to do to increase FPS  (Read 5977 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: things to do to increase FPS
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 12:10:18 pm »

Large worlds certainly do reduce FPS noticeably. I presume that the reason for this was that a larger world will produce a significantly larger save file. I'm guessing that most of the save file (if not all) will be loaded into the RAM during play.

I run on Linux with no swap, so I can attest that it isn't a memory size problem, since nothing's getting paged out for me. I am guessing it's more with repeatedly traversing linked lists of other civilizations and what they are doing, and weather, and forgotten beasts roaming around.

The question is, how often are these checks being made? You'd think these checks would only be made every now and then, say, once a game day or week. But, if world size impacts FPS, it would imply that the checks are being made every turn.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 05:07:51 am »

The total amount of z-levels a map has also has a huge effect:

Pocket region, 2x2 embark, no caves, no magma, no bottom layer: 11,000+ FPS.  (10 z levels above ground and 5 below)
Pocket region, 2x2 embark, no caves, yes magma, yes bottom layer:  800+ FPS. (10z levels above ground, 108 below due to bottom/magma)
Pocket region, 2x2 embark, no caves, yes magma, no bottom layer: 1200+ FPS. (10z levels above ground, 24 below due to magma)
Pocket region, 8x8 embark, no caves, no magma, no bottom layer: 350+ FPS.  (10 z levels above ground and 8 below)

So if you don't need/want the underground features, disable them for a huge FPS boost. Unfortunately, turning off the magma layer also seems to turn off volcanoes, so there's no way to get magma without it.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2011, 09:15:29 am »

I'm tired of my walls being red all the time!
I cannot see why. i like to have everything covered in blood and vomit

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

Not sure if someone already mentioned this.

• Close all other programs. (Also your virus protection if u got stuff like that.
  • In Windows: open Task Manager > Processes > Right Click Dwarf Fortress.exe > Set its priority to real time.

That can also help a little.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]