Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: things to do to increase FPS  (Read 5992 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: things to do to increase FPS
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »

play other games.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »

Clean the fan of your computer.  Seriously, you'll be amazed.

I use DFClean a lot now, because all that blood is just an eyesore to me.  I haven't had to deal with contaminants yet, but I'll likely DFClean those too because I'm tired of my walls being red all the time!

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »

Clean the fan of your computer.  Seriously, you'll be amazed.

I use DFClean a lot now, because all that blood is just an eyesore to me.  I haven't had to deal with contaminants yet, but I'll likely DFClean those too because I'm tired of my walls being red all the time!

i've had a bloody entrance corridor painted through out dozens of sieges. i do consider those red walls a bonus trophy.
until there are simply to many containments that i had to use the semi-cheating dfcleanmap.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 03:16:29 pm »

I don't consider it cheating, because that's the only way to remove them.  If I could designate a zone to be cleaned the same way you designate trees and mines, then I'd do that for all my bloodsplatters.  But, as it is, you cannot clean anything outside because dwarves only clean interiors, and you cannot clean walls AT ALL, unless you want to deconstruct and rebuild the walls.  So, if your map doesn't rain, or if you've got your fortress walls soaked and protected by a roof, they'll never be cleaned, ever.  Since there's no alternative, I use the cleaner.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »

I don't consider it cheating, because that's the only way to remove them.  If I could designate a zone to be cleaned the same way you designate trees and mines, then I'd do that for all my bloodsplatters.  But, as it is, you cannot clean anything outside because dwarves only clean interiors, and you cannot clean walls AT ALL, unless you want to deconstruct and rebuild the walls.  So, if your map doesn't rain, or if you've got your fortress walls soaked and protected by a roof, they'll never be cleaned, ever.  Since there's no alternative, I use the cleaner.
things your noted are exactly why i call it 'semi-cheating'
there are certainly ways to clean tiles/units most of the times. while in handful situations the containments stay indefinitely. then i'd be happy to use dfcleanmap.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:34 pm »

If DFClean allowed you to specify tiles, then I'd probably clean up my walls more because they collect tons of blood.  Like, seven pages worth of inventory screen, and I'm sure that's not healthy for FPS.  On the other hand, having a history of previous battles dripping off the walls in layers, is kinda dwarfy.  Or if blood naturally disappeared after a few seasons, that'd be awesome.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »

well, i used to have literally thousands of remains/body parts/rotten food in the aboveground garbage dump, in one of my previous forts. it didnt rain like in a couple of years, when it did, i got maybe two dozen pages of blood/ichor splatters, pools. damn!
then i read about the atomsmasher on wiki.
some exploits are NEAT.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 04:39:06 pm »

I think the atom smasher will remain an existing feature.  It allows an "oh crap!" button for noobs, and experienced players can very easily not use it.  Plus, how else are you to offload massive amounts of Goblinite?

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:24 pm »

i think it does not smash as good as it used to.
wiki article says it cant smash large unite now. never tested though.
still, i suppose atom smasher too can help with improving FPS, in a manner of speaking.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 05:06:29 pm »

I ran DFCleanMap on my blood-spattered fort, and it improved my FPS from 11 to... 11. :(

I think it was breaking into the Fun-Car that ruined my FPS. Nothing got out, but the game slowed down about 50%.
Never pet a burning dog.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 05:12:34 pm »

I just fiddled around with traffic designations a bit (main corridors to HIGH, exploratory mining to RESTRICTED) and my FPS doubled to 50.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »

The Carnival will kill your FPS, this is well known.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 05:15:01 pm »

I ran DFCleanMap on my blood-spattered fort, and it improved my FPS from 11 to... 11. :(

I think it was breaking into the Fun-Car that ruined my FPS. Nothing got out, but the game slowed down about 50%.

Wash all your dwarves and animals in a 3/7 bath first to transfer the blood to the water, then run DFClean. Most of the contaminants are on your actual dwarves and animals, and DFClean doesn't clean them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 05:18:52 pm »

I'm working on a shower.  It's a medium-sized room with grates on the floor, where I burrow all of my citizens, and then drop a single batch of water on them all at once, systematically bathing my entire fort in some strange type of concentration camp showers.  Bonus points: The floor grates are made of soap and the walls of Microcline blocks.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 05:40:17 pm »

nice, but traffic would be pain.
i think a indoor artificial waterfall built above high traffic hallway would be better, since mist even generates a happy thought. a bonus point for building a swither: lever attach to gear assembly to cut off power, when you need FPS over super happy dwarfs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5