Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The 'Foods that people should like, but you specifically don't like.' Thread.  (Read 5322 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to think like that, and I still don't really like the idea of reducing my capacity for judgment, but it affects different people differently, and odds are that if you think like that, you wouldn't be the kind of person to turn into a total idiot just because you've had a couple drinks. It's not a "guarantee" of anything, and it's a lot easier to not see why people enjoy it when you've never really done it yourself.

I have to admit, I've wondered how it would effect me.  Though I suppose it's not hard to guess.  All it does it reduce inhibitions, right?  So people come right out with all the parts of themselves they normally hide.... with some puking, stumbling, and slurring thrown on top.

It's a little more complicated than that, but that's part of it, sure.

Though you could get a similar effect with sleep deprivation, minus the puking (probably) and most of the long-term organ damage.

You aren't going to get significant "long-term organ damage" from having a drink every now and then. If you drink very often, or binge, or something like that, then sure, but it's not like the stuff is going to give you liver and brain damage because you drank a few Mike's Hard Lemonades that one time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to think like that, and I still don't really like the idea of reducing my capacity for judgment, but it affects different people differently, and odds are that if you think like that, you wouldn't be the kind of person to turn into a total idiot just because you've had a couple drinks. It's not a "guarantee" of anything, and it's a lot easier to not see why people enjoy it when you've never really done it yourself.

I have to admit, I've wondered how it would effect me.  Though I suppose it's not hard to guess.  All it does it reduce inhibitions, right?  So people come right out with all the parts of themselves they normally hide.... with some puking, stumbling, and slurring thrown on top.
Not really. It floods your system with "oh fuck this feels good," while screwing with the specific gravity of the fluid in your inner ear, which causes the loss of balance and spinning (after a large amount of alcohol). I've only ever vomited from drinking on two occasions, both of which involved more than ten drinks and extenuating circumstances.

Too much and you feel sick, and the world won't stop spinning (and gets even worse if you close your eyes), but just getting buzzed is quite enjoyable. Hell, even a single strong beer has an enjoyable, if mild, effect.

Even fruity drinks people convince me to try that they promise will not have any alcohol taste to it.
Alcopops? Those are the fucking worst. Try a nice beer. Oatmeal stouts have a smooth, sort of coffee/chocolate taste, and you don't taste the alcohol itself.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alcohol.  Never understood the appeal in making yourself temporarily retarded and guaranteed to do things you'll regret later.  It also tastes like regurgitated earwax. All alcohol.  Even fruity drinks people convince me to try that they promise will not have any alcohol taste to it.

If this is your impression of alcohol, you're doing it wrong.

Sure, everyone's entitled to their own opinions...  You don't have to like anything in particular...  Everyone in this thread is talking about stuff that most people like, that they can't stand, so you're in good company...

But it doesn't look like you've really even given alcohol a chance.

Your average "fruity drink" is a really bad indicator of what alcohol tastes like.  It's usually made by taking some kind of shitty, low-quality alcohol and trying to mask the flavor with piles of sugar.  It doesn't work.

Also, if you're drinking enough to render yourself "temporarily retarded" then you've lost any ability to judge the alcohol itself.  I'm not a big fan of drunkenness...  But if that's what you're aiming for, any alcohol will do.  Folks drinking to get drunk aren't going to be really picky about their beverages.

What you need to do is get your hands on a good drink.  A nice scotch, or a well-crafted beer, or a good wine, or something like that.

Quality alcohol is not so strong that it numbs your taste buds.  Quality alcohol uses the unique solvent nature of ethanol to grab interesting flavors.  Quality alcohol is downright delicious.  And quality alcohol, consumed in moderation, does not make you "temporarily retarded".
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

It makes you mildly more sociable, really. Makes conversation easier, too.
Even silences sound better while you're tipsy.

It's when you're drunk that you begin to exhibit changes in personality.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've always found that people are more true to the core of their character when drunk; they betray both the best and worst of their personality, which can be educational. I drink on occasion, and it's reassuring to know that the worst I've got in me is some overly flowery language, an oddly sharper wit (which may not recognize the best time for a joke), and a propensity to speak my honest opinion (for good or ill).

Anywho, to contribute to the original topic:

I don't like grapefruit.

I have a tree of the fucking things in my backyard. Nobody in my family eats them (though my uncle made some into marmalade once, and he's the only one who'll eat that), so they really just present a hazard to mowing.

If grapefruit would grow in my area, I would gladly take it off your hands. Grapefruit is a great breakfast food, cut in half, and sprinkled with a bit of sugar (depending on the sweetness). I prefer the red ones, though white grapefruit is okay. It offsets sweet breakfast food well.

There are very few things I won't eat, and those are usually organ meats, food that incorporates rotting or mold (clean fermentation is okay), and foods that present a significant health hazard (this includes a lot of undercooked animal products, though raw fish is only a minimal risk).

Among ostensibly normal American cuisine, I've never really liked red meat, especially steak. I can eat it if someone prepares it, but I've never really enjoyed it. I really don't like it when it's still bloody, though, and start looking for alternatives at that point.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:02:10 am by Solifuge »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bah, my criteria for steak is "hot inside". So long as that's met, it's good even if it's still a dark reddish purple. I can't stand cold meat, aside from thin sliced meat from a deli.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Among ostensibly normal American cuisine, I've never really liked red meat, especially steak. I can eat it if someone prepares it, but I've never really enjoyed it. I really don't like it when it's still bloody, though, and start looking for alternatives at that point.

I know this probably doesn't make much of a difference to you, but for the record, "bloody" red meat isn't actually bloody; the red is from myoglobin, a compound found just in the muscle.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile

I know this probably doesn't make much of a difference to you, but for the record, "bloody" red meat isn't actually bloody; the red is from myoglobin, a compound found just in the muscle.

*high-fives* and that's why I don't order steak when I'm eating out, as they charge a lot for 'bloody' meat.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Myoglobin is an oxygen-storing compound that is chemically and functionally very similar to blood hemoglobin. It's close enough to blood to count. :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

"Waiter, I'd like to have a bloody steak!"
"Very well, do you also want some fucking fries with that?"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Ahaha. I like it.

But yes, blue steak isn't my favourite way to eat it. I have once, but I wouldn't choose it again. It seems like a waste of good steak.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*high-fives* and that's why I don't order steak when I'm eating out, as they charge a lot for 'bloody' meat.

I don't get what you mean. How is anything of this relevant to the quality of the food?

Myoglobin is an oxygen-storing compound that is chemically and functionally very similar to blood hemoglobin. It's close enough to blood to count. :P

I know you're mostly joking here, but blood is a lot of things, not just hemoglobin.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not for infection purposes.

Though it may be a good indicator of being far beyond the sterilization point.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no common food or food ingredient that I don't like.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

Tomatoes and Cucumbers , I hate them! (for there taste , I can't stand it >..> , unless its on a sandwich , and it doesnt fit into a tuna salad damit i told mom about that -_-)
Desu
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7