Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The 'Foods that people should like, but you specifically don't like.' Thread.  (Read 5338 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chocolate. It makes me
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Guinness tastes like Vegemite. No joke. Gotta love the Irish for making Vegemite alcoholic, really.

... I also don't like Vegemite.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guinness tastes like Vegemite. No joke. Gotta love the Irish for making Vegemite alcoholic, really.
Really? For the first time in my life I feel a desire to try vegemite.

I don't drink Guinness, because I can get better beer for the same or cheaper, but I still like it. It's like coffee in beer form. A good oatmeal stout tastes pretty much the same, but a little milder, maybe a bit richer.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Normal milk, most kinds of cheese, ham, bacon. I would also list most vegetables and fish here but I don't think that they're meant to be liked. Also alcohol.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cauliflower. I tried it prepared in many different ways, and it was horrible every time. If you put a single piece of it in soup stock, I won't eat the soup even if actual cauliflower solids have been filtered out.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cannot stand raw tomatoes.  Something about the texture.  Makes me gag involuntarily.

Tomato sauces are fine.  Stewed, pureed, dried...  Anything but fresh, raw, slimy tomatoes.

Some other veggies like cucumber have a similar effect on me...  But you can usually just cut out the slimy, seedy bits and I'll be ok.  Though I'm not a fan of raw cucumber either.

I hate pickles.  Actually, I'm not a huge fan of much of anything that's been pickled.  Something about the whole vinegar/brine thing is just too much for me.

Not exactly a dislike...  But I'm allergic to an awful lot of different nuts...  So, just as a general precaution, I don't eat any nuts.  Even the ones I'm not supposed to be allergic to.  I don't want to order something that's supposed to have harmless almonds in it, only to find out that somebody was misinformed and I'm actually chomping on cashews.

Because of this, I've had to give up on baklava.  Absolutely love the stuff...  And you can find it without pistachios and stuff...  But I've had entirely too many unpleasant experiences.

Alcopops. Because booze should not taste like a used energy drink enema.
Alcohol is there for the purpose, not for the taste.
However, some people need to get past the taste, to get to the purpose.

I'm fine with good beer, though, myself. Or spirits if I'm mostly pursuing the purpose.

Granted, pure ethanol isn't terribly tasty...  But I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment that alcohol is only there for the purpose of intoxication.

Lots of interesting flavors dissolve in alcohol and not in water.  You can throw various wines and spirits into a dish, cook off a good chunk of the actual alcohol, and still have a noticeably different flavor.

Look at some of the different types of whisky out there...  You pick up all sorts of interesting flavors from the wood, charcoal, grain, and whatever else goes into making a batch.  You can't tell me you'd get those kinds of flavors if you subjected plain water to those same abuses.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

You've got a point. Cooking with alcohol makes everything better.
Sometimes I even put it in the food!

But yes, people have made a variety of flavors of alcohol, which means I can't exactly say it's only there to get drunk on.
But, you have to admit that you'd rather get drunk on a delicious alcohol than a horrible one- so the more refined people might want to get drunk off a rich bourbon, rather than a smooth one.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

I do not like most vegetables.
In fact, I'm not sure there are any I like.
Fucking love fruits, though, except lemons.
I'm also not a big fan of meat, and I've never liked any meat that came from a cow.
Cephalopods and crustaceans are pretty much the only meat I like.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE LEMONS!! (-by proxy)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Capsicum/bell peppers. It especially annoys me that they seem to be in everything these days. I went to my local family pub, ordered side salad with chips, and was distraught to find the salad was almost completely peppers. Weirdly I can handle peppers if they are hot enough.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile

Out of interest, how are people on Marmite?

I love the stuff!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I love the stuff!

Same here, however, I dislike vegemite.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pistachios.
BLAHREHBOOLT

yes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the stuff!
Marmite on toast = win.

Almost as much as lemon curd on toast.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For me it's cheese. I don't know why but I can't eat cheese at all. The smell by itself puts me off and the food makes me want to throw up. I hope I never have to eat cheese.

And that's pretty sad considering how many awesome kinds of cheese we have in France. It looks pretty good, it's just that I really dislike it ...

The only kind of cheese I can stand is the tasteless, molten, it's-actually-colored-plastic-but-it-bears-the-name-of-cheese thing people put on pizza and hamburgers (if here isn't too much of it).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7