Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Translations Plox! And, actually, Languages.  (Read 601 times)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Translations Plox! And, actually, Languages.
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:07 am »

So basically, I want to translate a phrase from English to a language-per-word. I don't have the exact phrasing that I want down, but it basically amounts to this:

What say you, world? To join together, in language, custom, culture. To welcome each other, and support one another. To bring us to new heights, to reach to the stars and to the soul. To meld into one culture, a human culture.

Yada-yada, something about joining with machines (that doesn't sound too cultish :U)

So BASICALLY, I need help! I barely know many languages, like maybe 10 outside Europe and the Americas, and I want as many languages from around the world (that make sense, and are spoken widely) as I can.

Can anyone help? :3

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations Plox! And, actually, Languages.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:47:32 am »

Could you clarify your request?
Do you need us to translate the text for you into any language we might know, or do you need us to enumerate all the languages we know to exist, or maybe something else?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:55:55 am »

I think he wants us to say that phrase in a different language. I'd do that but my keyboard doesn't have arabic characters anymore. Plus a direct word to word translation will either make that look silly, or a like a poetry verse :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:53 am »

I think a word-for-word translation into most languages would be nonsensical. You could keep the basic spirit of what you wrote, but it probably would lose that poetic-sounding sort of feel and you'd have to say it more literally.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

Possibly. >->