Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sasquatch breeding  (Read 2599 times)

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sasquatch breeding
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

Mostly inspired by the sea serpent breeding thread and having male and female sasquatches wander into my traps I've decided its high time to breed some bigfoots.  I think my biggest draw to this project is that I plan on setting up a few arenas with sasquatches to kill goblins.  Of course I'll be pitting fun things like silver warhammers before I send in the goblins.  And now that I think about it I'm sure a sasquatch would like large weapons.  Hopefully the human caravan will bring me something sufficiently fun.

I'm starting off slowly trying to get the basics covered before I launch into a full breeding operation.  My first obstacle is that sasquatches have the building destroyer tag.  It appears as if they can't or won't destroy chains that are restraining them.  My first problem is I now have a sasquatch tied up in a corner of my fort and I'm not exactly sure how to get her back in her cage.  I think the solution to this problem is to promote some cheesemakers to animal trainers.  I'll post more as I figure it out.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Sasquatch breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »

Select the cage, then assign the Sasquatch.  Your worker should go take it off the chain and lead it by hand to the cage.  There seems to be a small issue on the order of operations, so you may want to use a fresh migrant without any friends and have nearby cage traps prepped in case it gets loose.  Good news though, if it does, then you have it back in a cage!

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »

I had gone into my jobs list and canceled the "Remove large creature from cage," after the sasquatch was chained that job kicked back in and someone else brought a fresh cage to the sasquatch, threw her in there and took her to the stockpile.  So I think the chain is safe from the animal its restraining.  My concern though is that maybe it couldn't be broken because the sasquatch and the chain were both queued in a job.  But as it stands I'm beginning to carve out the breeding area, something similar to the sea serpent plan with the dog behind a window.  I'm just wondering if the sasquatchlings will be scared of the dog or if they'll destroy the door, the window and then rip the dog apart.  Either way it'll be entertaining.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »

I think a window is a construction, not a building, and is thus safe from building destroyers.  It also depends if the child is capable of destroying buildings, as this will play a major role.  If no, you can simply push the door and dog away a square and out of reach of the adult, and scare the child away into another area as per usual.  If yes, then you're going to have to get creative with your use of channels without ramps, and drawbridges.

Also, I'm going to assume that the chain is safe because it's tethered to it.  I wouldn't attempt to chain two within arm's reach of each other, as they may free each other.  If the child can break chains, then, well, new design time ;)

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:21 pm »

Yeah I'd really like to avoid a situation where I have to reset and rebuild things every time a blessed bundle of building destroyer is born.  I'd like it to be more like: 
1.  Pull the lever. 
2.  Collect caged young. 
3.  Pull the lever.

I've already got a few z-levels I can play with for this, I'm expecting to channel out the next layer to make some pits.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:45:43 pm »

Windows are very much not safe from building destroyers.  Even creatures with buildingdestroyer:1 will smash windows.  But building destroyers don't seem to be able to destroy chains they're attached to.

You will need to mod the sasquatch to have the [PET] token.

Sasquatch have the [LIKES_FIGHTING] token, so they probably won't run from the dog.  You could instead use the dog as bait, and have cage traps between the sasquatch mother and the dog, so the sasquatch children will get caught when trying to attack it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »

I think a window is a construction, not a building, and is thus safe from building destroyers.  It also depends if the child is capable of destroying buildings, as this will play a major role.  If no, you can simply push the door and dog away a square and out of reach of the adult, and scare the child away into another area as per usual.  If yes, then you're going to have to get creative with your use of channels without ramps, and drawbridges.

Also, I'm going to assume that the chain is safe because it's tethered to it.  I wouldn't attempt to chain two within arm's reach of each other, as they may free each other.  If the child can break chains, then, well, new design time ;)

Windows can be destroyed. At least, gem windows can  -- I've had FBs get into my fort through finished gem windows, causing to break apart into their constituent gems.

[EDIT: Ninja'd.]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »

Then use a fortification instead, it allows sight through it and is immune to destroyers.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

I had gone into my jobs list and canceled the "Remove large creature from cage," after the sasquatch was chained that job kicked back in and someone else brought a fresh cage to the sasquatch, threw her in there and took her to the stockpile.  So I think the chain is safe from the animal its restraining.  My concern though is that maybe it couldn't be broken because the sasquatch and the chain were both queued in a job.  But as it stands I'm beginning to carve out the breeding area, something similar to the sea serpent plan with the dog behind a window.  I'm just wondering if the sasquatchlings will be scared of the dog or if they'll destroy the door, the window and then rip the dog apart.  Either way it'll be entertaining.
If they attack animals, use a system that makes them chase the dog into cage traps.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »

Actually, the solution for this came to me last night (sort of in a dream!)

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWW
WDCCBB++WW
WWWWWWWWWW
W=Wall
D=Dog (or other bait animal, preferably chained)
C=Cage
B=Drawbridge that opens to the left
+=Floor

You raise the bridge, so that your dorfs can get into the cage area without being scared off, so that you can chain the dog and place the cages.  On the other side of the bridge, you have empty space (not an up ramp from a channel, but purely missing floor) so that the bigfoots cannot attack the bridge.  The blank floor is where you set the bigfoot female, preferably via pitting but whatever method you want to use.

So, once given birth, you lower the bridge.  The free-roaming creatures, not being chained, will immediately go after the bait animal, and cage themselves.  You then collect cages, put in a new bait if needed, and pit the mother back into the right side of the setup after raising the bridge.  Since the bridge has empty space beside it, the building destroyers cannot get close enough to touch it, and therefore can't destroy it, and once it's down they can't destroy it anyways.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

... and once it's down they can't destroy it anyways.

Isn't it the other way around?... Building Destroyers can ONLY destroy a bridge if it's lowered, or if they are on the inside of a raised bridge.
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 04:41:51 pm »

A lowered drawbridge counts as a floor, and will be ignored by building a destroyers.  A raised drawbridge counts as a wall, and will get smashed up.  I had a giant ignore my bridge because I'd wired it wrong and it wouldn't raise itself right.  The giant just walked over it like a floor.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:10 pm »

A lowered drawbridge counts as a floor, and will be ignored by building a destroyers.  A raised drawbridge counts as a wall, and will get smashed up.  I had a giant ignore my bridge because I'd wired it wrong and it wouldn't raise itself right.  The giant just walked over it like a floor.

Pretty sure I've had lowered bridges destroyed by BDs... even when they were standing on it, over a deep chasm. Raised bridges count as walls, correct (at least from the outside, not sure about the inside)... and walls are completely immune to BDs.

FAKE EDIT: Yes, according to the DF Wiki, raised bridges can only be destroyed from the inside.
Never pet a burning dog.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »

Wait, really?  What constitutes the inside then?  I've been moating all of my bridges to prevent destroyers!

Also, I'm certain that a destroyer will cancel destroying if there's a live target, so setting a bait dog to be chased will leave the bridge untouched, at least until the dog dies.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »

Wait, really?  What constitutes the inside then?

The "raise" direction. If a bridge raises to the west, then once it's raised, a hostile building must be standing to the west of it (ie: inside your defenses) in order to destroy it.
Never pet a burning dog.