Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Preferred population cap?  (Read 2364 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred population cap?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:37 pm »

I keep it at 200, but my fortress usually falls from self-induced genocide out of boredom.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:11 pm »

200 because I like shitloads of workers and a huge military. I tend to kill children and useless pets.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:32 pm »

I would prefer 200 or more.
But I tend to cap my population at about 50-60 dwarves. Any more, and my FPS dips below 10 :(
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

75 for me.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »

30 to 40.

The nice thing about having few dwarves is that you can give everyone crazy good armour and weaponry.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 05:22:08 pm »

I set the popcap in the .ini file to 100, but then the growing population naturally gets to around 250ish dwarves after some years.

Any less than 200ish adults is just not enough to get everything done in my fortresses.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »

I tried doing a max population experiment, but I couldn't handle over 200 without a really good book. When I buy my next rig I'm going to set the limit to a thousand or more and just see how many I can get.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »

I modded goblins to siege earlier.

I also modded titans and megabeasts to attack at a population of twenty and ten thousand created wealth, but that's Just for Fun.

Could you pm me how and where you modded this Things? Would really appreciate it.

Currently i set the Popcap in the ini file to 80 Dwarfs. Mainly because of FPS and more just get annoying to manage.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 05:55:58 pm »

15, with a child cap of 0.  (And no loose pets.)   If I'm lucky I stay under 20 after the first two migrations.  I usually push the cap up to 30 and the kid count to 5 after I've got my fort (mostly) excavated and the food industry up and stable.

Why?  Any more than 40 and the game becomes unplayable due to FPS after 5 or 6 years.  Even at 30 dwarfs pathfinding can kill my system if every dwarf changes what they're doing all at the same time.  (Don't even ask what happened when I removed the upright spoiler....)  30 gives me some room to move and allow a few kids.   

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:27 pm »

What's your map size?  I'm playing 5x5 with 60 dorfs, and a river going N/S and I'm getting 30-35 FPS.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »

What's your map size?  I'm playing 5x5 with 60 dorfs, and a river going N/S and I'm getting 30-35 FPS.

Good question.

I tried playing with a 3x3 for a while, but even that was too much.  So I switched back to a 2x2.  At embark I can get upwards of 400FPS, but that never lasts more than a year.  At 2x2 I can hold a steady 100FPS until year ten or so, and then it drops to 50 for no reason and stays there.  (3x3 it'd be 40 and drop to 10.)   (This last fort I had to use DFhack to obsidianize the edges of my second cavern, as it was all flooded and dropping a couple z-levels into another biome....  Regained 300% of my FPS....  No other flowing water on the map.)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

I keep mine at 20. I also reduced the siege requirements.

When I play fort defense mod though, I bump it up to 100.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 06:57:53 pm »

I've been keeping it at 50(goes to like 65 with over and kids).

It gives enough people to do all the jobs(even 2-3 medical staff), as long as you don't work them constantly they can haul/fill in others.

I should really combine miners and masons so then 50 would be plenty.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »

100, and usually 15-20 of those end up being children...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Sivere

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly Unhinged
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

110 or so, with fortress-born children modded out. Management isn't an issue with Dwarf Therapist, and the cap is slightly higher than what is required by the King. I've set titans to appear at 30 dorfs, and disabled HFS by accident - I still have to fix that, but the new forts are so shiny by the time I remember that I don't want to gen a new world.

I might change it back to a higher number, since now I mostly use ramps instead of huge up/down staircases, I embark on 3x3 or 2x2 areas with few z-levels, and I've stopped building anything that requires a lot of fluid movement.

With these in mind, FPS has been pretty steady so far, with the lowest being 20 when I have to dump a lot of stone during a siege, or gather goblinite once it's over.
Dwarfs will have access to the internet in version .99.99, when even Toady cannot push the game further. They will then discover the Bay12 Games website, creating an infinitely recursive chain of realities that will eventually reach critical mass and coalesce into DF 1.0, emerging from their web-based cocoon like some kind of meme-encrusted chrysalis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3