Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Preferred population cap?  (Read 2363 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preferred population cap?
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:20 am »

So I stuck with a fort long enough for the first time to hit and in fact exceed the population cap. Oddly enough I even got a migrant wave after that point, which bumped me from 209 from 216. I thought that wasn't possible? Playing with so many dwarves -- the most I had before that was around 120 -- sure speeds up hauling jobs or wall-construction, but on the other side it feels rather anonymous. I may cap my population at 100 or 80 (just enough for sieges) next time.

What pop cap does everyone else like to play with? Do you stick to the default of 200 or prefer a much lower number? And why?

Maybe I should play a little more recklessly, too, and give the little blighters more time to socialize instead of trying to keep everyone constantly busy. More friendships, more deaths, more fun?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred population cap?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:57 am »

I currently have ~230 dorfs. It's great for projects, but the idlers number is starting to climb on me. I may purge the peasants and children soon.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:36 am »

I prefer 50 dwarves because I have issues managing migrants. Once I've got housing done for more and an oversupply of food and booze, then I up the population cap.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:55:44 am »

I play with 60-80 dwarfs depending on how my FPS is doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:00 am »

I'm at 50, which puts me at actual 60 because the cap is ignored.  That allows ambushes but not sieges.  In a year or two I'm gonna uncap towards 100, once I have lavish death traps bedrooms for my soon-to-arrive lye makers and milkers.

Alternatively, I may simply convert everyone into warriors, piss off everyone, and throw my soldiers into the waves of constant sieges.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »

I like 100 because after 120-130 my fps takes a dump.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:55 pm »

my cap is 100.  I have a few families with 4-5 kids each, and so my pop is about 125 with about 30 children.  I'm excited though because this is the longest I've had a fort and I expect some of the kids to start growing up soon.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:48:34 pm »

I'm doing 80; it gives me solid FPS but still sufficient dwarves for a solid military and various threats approaching the fortress.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:51:53 pm »

I leave it at 200.  My FPS during normal play rarely goes below 20, except a.  During sieges or b.  If I unlock HFS, in which case I could have only 50 dwarves all asleep and it would still drop below 10.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »

Pop cap of 100 for me. I would set it to as low as 50-75 if that didn't ruin sieges.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »

I modded goblins to siege earlier.

I also modded titans and megabeasts to attack at a population of twenty and ten thousand created wealth, but that's Just for Fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »

80-100, lets me make sure I'll get full content.

When I reach the point that they start to idle up too much I just keep putting them into squads for the military (work as cannon fodder until they are trained up). 

Since the newest version I've been doing pretty well as far as FPS goes (I keep the max set at sixty anyways, so it takes a while to dip down below that).

-MB

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 01:41:07 pm »

150 currently + 10% children. Still seems to be too much so I'll settle for something around 100 on the next fort. I had a syndrome plague + tantrum spiral on this fort which put me from 164 to 24 dwarfs once (only soldiers and one civilian didn't go insane), but now I'm back to 112 or something and i noticed the big fps difference it makes. I don't do megaprojects (just normal projects), so the excess dwarfs mainly turn excess metal into weapons to give me more chances for artifact weapons.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:21 pm »

200, but max population I ever actually had is around 100. I'm still somewhat new to the game, playing only 5 month, had only two sieges during this time and my longest fort was only 4 years old.
If you feel that you have too many dwarves, someone on this forums suggested best use ever for them. Drop them from 1-3 z-levels and train your medics on those who survive.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:13 pm »

Give them a good 5 drop.  Bone setting needs skill up too!
Pages: [1] 2 3