Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thirsty Dwarfs wont stay in side =(  (Read 1762 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thirsty Dwarfs wont stay in side =(
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 12:42:58 am »

I'd also like to know how the dumb works. I have a one tile garbage dump zone and I marked afew types of stone with a D but no one is moving it. Have i missed something?

If the stones are above ground, you'll need to turn on refuse hauling above ground. This can be found under the (o)rders menu.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 12:43:55 am »

I read on another thread that if you make wells and tell dwarves to only drink from zones but don't make a usable zone, they will only get water from wells. Just make sure you make enough wells.

Yes, it's in the orders menu. You can force them to drink and/or fish only from designated areas.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 01:12:15 am »

New to DF, huh?  Well, here's a brief survival guide to help you out!

Thanks! I think i need to use the meetings places. I haven't done that yet. As for booze. Does it matter what type of plants I grow?

Cheers!!!!

The only plants that cannot be converted into alcohol are Dimple Cups, Quarry Bushes, Hide Roots, Blade Weeds, Kobold Bulbs, and Valley Herbs.  The former two are underground crops, the latter four aboveground, and the latter two you're not likely to encounter in most embarks.
Sanity is for the weak.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:24:20 am »

Designating a traffic area as Restricted does not prevent dwarves from going there.  It just tells them to not step into that area unless there's no other way for them to get somewhere they need to go.

It doesn't work like that. A restricted area has 13X the cost of a normal tile, meaning the dwarf will go in anyway if the other path is simply too long.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:10 am »

A dwarf that will be killed by a zombie goat doesn't deserve to be a citizen of your fortress. Harsh but true.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:03 am »

A few folks have already said it, but I'll say it too: When you farm, Plump Helmets (for underground), and strawberries or fisher berries, (for above ground) are your best choices, as they can be readily eaten OR brewed, thus covering all of your basic food/drink needs until you decide to move on to a more complete/complete farming operation. Those are the "newb friendly" crops - prickle berries also work, but have a lower value, so unless you have a specific reason for wanting to use them over one of the others, I left them off the list.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:55:43 am »

Ok guys i've set zones... Dwarfs are no longer sleeping next to the river... Farms are going plus wells. Dwarfs no longer thirsty and booze is on the way. Also I made a squad and killed all the zombie goats! So things are going well.

How do i disband this squad so my dwarfs can go back to work?

Cheers

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:31 am »

s -> a -> o

If you've only got one squad, I believe that should cancel any standing orders they have.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:18 am »

I found it!

It was under the "m" menu m > d to disband.

Cheers

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »

Haha one of my dwarves choosed to drink about 15 tiles away from goblin siege. It was blocked my breath. i was thinking NO DONT GO THERE NOO but the goblins didnt see him. if my dwarf would have been 1 tile closer, i think he would have got slaughered like a pig

Urist McWTF?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »

I found it!

It was under the "m" menu m > d to disband.

Cheers

I see you already figured out how to create a squad, that is quite good  ;) Now, if you look around the military menu, you'll find something called "alerts". There you can set a squad to "active/training" or to "inactive". If the squad is inactive, its members will do their civilian jobs, if it is active... well, guess what. Among other things it allows you to use that squad again, so you don't have to create one from scratch the next time something awful funny happens, like the arrival of new zombies...
Pages: 1 [2]