Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thirsty Dwarfs wont stay in side =(  (Read 1763 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thirsty Dwarfs wont stay in side =(
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

Does the Designations function not work in the current version of DF?

My dwarfs wont come back inside. They are a little thirsty and have decided to go drink and take a little break.... Some even go to sleep next to the river. Its the same river the Zombie Goats are moving down.

I've tried making every z level of surface restricted and set my walled in surface pace as normal traffic but it didn't make any difference.

I've giving them all the engraving job and still can't get them all inside at once.

Anything else i can try?

They zombie goats are still on the other side of the map so i should have some time.

Thanks

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Thirsty Dwarfs wont stay in side =(
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:46:25 am »

Designating a traffic area as Restricted does not prevent dwarves from going there.  It just tells them to not step into that area unless there's no other way for them to get somewhere they need to go.  If there's something in a restricted area that a dwarf needs to get to, he'll go right in.

The bigger question is why your dwarves are going outside to drink at all.  Brew more booze so they don't have to drink water.  If you must have them drinking water, build a safe water source inside with a well and channels to bring water from outside.  Make a meeting zone inside so they have a safe place to hang out when idle.  And build them some beds already so they're not sleeping outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:02 am »

Create a safe cistern inside your fort, zone it as a water source (make sure it's the only one) and use the orders menu to set your dwarves to zone-only drinking. That should help.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:27 am »

You want to use burrows instead. The traffic designations are just suggestions for the pathfinding AI, and are useful for marking how you want your dwarves to move between places.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:51:29 am »

Brew more booze.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:14 am »

Traffic restrictions only change the pathfinding, not the choice of jobs.  If you set a workshop as restricted, and then order it to be used, then they'll go use it.  If you set a workshop to be used, and set a wall of restricted traffic along one side of it, then they'll go all the way around that imaginary wall, but as soon as they need to do something IN the restricted zone, then it's all bets off.

You have a few good options.  The hardcore dwarven option, would be to dig up some magma, and turn the river into obsidian, thus removing the water and causing them to stop drinking.  Alternatively, you could build walls around it, but that's hardly economical or practical.  Much more reliably, you could set burrows.  A burrow is an area that a dwarf is assigned to, and will not leave under any circumstances, except for military dwarves who can be ordered to manually move anywhere.

Alternatively, get booze!  Dwarves only drink water when there's no booze, or when they're injured.  Since they shouldn't be injured all the time, they should be boozing all the time.  Remember, a sober fortress is a dead fortress!  Getting an underground farm for plump helmets and a brewer on call is the #1 concern of ANY fort.  I find you can easily dig a 3x3 area in a tunnel, and then remove one square in the floor above via channeling, and then use a bucket brigade to fill it with water.  5 buckets and 5 idle citizens will quickly fill this area, and that 3x3 will support a surprisingly large population, especially with skilled planets and potash.  Alternatively, digging one layer down and breaking a murky pool (not a river) will flood a subterranean area quite nicely, or you can remove the roof and make it outdoor area for strawberries and other above-ground plants.

No matter what though, get a farm, and get booze!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:26:07 pm »

You want to use burrows instead. The traffic designations are just suggestions for the pathfinding AI, and are useful for marking how you want your dwarves to move between places.

drinking is more important than burrows for a thirsty dwarves (same for for food/hungry dwarves, so that wont work

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »

I know, but he (she?) didn't seem to understand why traffic restrictions weren't working.  Truth is, a thirsty dwarf in a burrow will likely dehydrate and die, unless someone is kind enough to bring them something to drink and eat.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:41:09 pm »

i like goats

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:21:52 pm »

Whats need to brew booze?

I'm new to DF and haven't managed to figure out how to keep my dwarfs digging log enough to build a well yet. I think mostly because they are trying to move stone to the surface and bring food and supplies down. If I can get setup making booze faster that a well that would be cool. I'm also playing in a sinister area so I'd like to find out how the pathing thing works.

Right now I have 3 walled in square boxes with flood gates that link them together. The first the a trade depot with ramps and a bridge. The 2nd is a safe room and the 3rd is the fortress cave. It was a huge waist of time. I can't get my dwarfs to go into the safe area unless I open up all of my flood gates.... Then I have to wait for them to come in side and by that time normaly twice as many have made it out.

The point of this gate system was so I could let immigrants come in without letting my dwarfs get out. Do you know how I can make it work?

So far they will stand by this deadly river until something come by and kills them instead of going into the safe room so I can close the gate behind them and then let them into the cave. If I open all gates they will come in but half of my current dwarfs will be out side before I can get someone to pull the level again.

Any ideas?

I'd also like to know how the dumb works. I have a one tile garbage dump zone and I marked afew types of stone with a D but no one is moving it. Have i missed something?

Thanks

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »

Have you deconstructed your wagon and set up a meeting zone? Until your wagon is gone, dwarves consider that a meeting zone, and that may be why they won't stay inside. Just make sure to put in a new zone using the i key. Also make sure the zones you make for both garbage and meeting are marked properly, after setting the zone use m to make it a meeting zone and d to make it a dump zone.

Edit: It is probably a good idea to go through some the player made tutorials too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:43:45 pm by Brandstone »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:18 am »

New to DF, huh?  Well, here's a brief survival guide to help you out!

1. Your Dwarves are idiots.  You've already noticed this, of course, but you'll be expected to account for it.  So help them out by setting up a meeting zone somewhere (hit i and then hit Enter twice on a safe location, then hit m to make it into a 1-tile meeting zone).

2. Your Dwarves are alcoholics.  To satisfy their need for booze, you'll need to build a workshop called a "still" and have plants for them to distill (and barrels to put the booze in, too!).  You'll also need to have at least one Dwarf with the Brewing labor enabled.  To get plants, you can either grow your own (a good idea) or harvest them wild.  To do the former, have at least one Dwarf with Farming enabled and build farm plots.  Note that you need to make a different plot for every type of crop!  1x3 plots should do.  Then go to that plot and set will be grown there.  There's a caveat to this underground, however: you need to get the tile wet first!  There's a few ways to do that (the easiest is to have your farms be 2 levels underground, designate a channel on the floor above, then use the i key again to designate a bunch of 1-tile ponds and have your Dwarves dump water down onto the farms).  Once you have your plots up and going (and possibly muddied if underground), you need to go to them and pick a crop to grow for each and every season.  After that, you just have to wait for your Farming-enabled Dwarves to harvest and then you can process the plants into booze!  Barrels can be made at a carpenter's workshop pretty easily by any Dwarf with Carpentry enabled.

3. Your Dwarves need to eat.  Fortunately, food isn't too hard to come by.  Lots of crops are edible, and you can bring along animals at embark that will later produce offspring that you can butcher for meat.  I covered farming above, so let's talk butchery.  To slaughter animals, you'll need to build a butcher shop workshop and have at least one Dwarf with the Butchery skill enabled.  (Note that you can change any Dwarf's preferences for labor by hitting v over them, then p, and then l).  Once your butcher shop is up, you can designate what animals to slaughter by hitting Z and selecting Animals from the menu, then hitting b over whatever animal you want to butcher.  Your Butchery-enabled Dwarf will then dutifully drag the hapless animal to the shop and get cutting!  Note that you can also make a kitchen workshop to cook food, but that's not strictly necessary (though it will be in the long run; cooked food takes longer to break down than raw meat).  You'll want to manage what can be cooked in the Z menu as well.  Be sure you turn off all plants for cooking whenever one pops up on the list!  Cooked plants give no seeds, meaning they can kill your fledgling farms!

4. Your Dwarves need to live somewhere.  Build them beds, give them a dining hall, and make sure any administrators you might have also have the facilities they need.  To make a piece of furniture into a room, just hit v over it, then hit r and size the room with + and -.  Note that you only need to make one table in your dining hall into a dining hall; the other tables and chairs in there will all be considered part of that dining hall too!  Also, be sure you have 1 chair per table; Dwarves don't like to share their eating space.

5. Your Dwarves need to store their stuff somewhere.  Designate stockpiles for goods so your Dwarves can put things like garbage, finished goods, and raw materials in safe (and logical!) places.

6. Don't panic!  This game is complicated, but it's possible to learn how to play it.  If you have any more questions, just ask!  If you want a quick answer, you can check the Dwarf Fortress Wiki for help too: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:09:04 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:09:44 am »

I read on another thread that if you make wells and tell dwarves to only drink from zones but don't make a usable zone, they will only get water from wells. Just make sure you make enough wells.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:54 am »

New to DF, huh?  Well, here's a brief survival guide to help you out!

Thanks! I think i need to use the meetings places. I haven't done that yet. As for booze. Does it matter what type of plants I grow?

Cheers!!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 12:23:16 am »

Plump helmets, sweet pods, pig tails and cave wheat are the ones you want to focus on.

If you're growing aboveground plants, ignore that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2