Advanced search  

Poll

Twi's planets or Vorthon's?

Twi
Vorthon
Both!
Two systems!!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 175

Author Topic: The Land of Lost Dimensions OOC thread  (Read 101518 times)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: The City of Madness OOC thread
« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

It would take to much 'magic-matter' (in till I come up with a better name) to coat it to pass through their skin.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 02, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »

The things feed off fusionable matter, and the energy discharge from the fusion reaction (pretty much everything we know as heat, light and radio waves). The weapons were meant to cause them severe indigestion.

I restate. If these things leech stars and the stellar fuel inside them, that means they can produce fusion on their own. They're living, voracious stars, with the end-results of fusion (helium, carbon, iron) incorporated in the things' bodies. What the fission gun does is force those heavier elements to rip apart into hydrogen, wounding the thing they're part of. But then they still get that small amount of hydrogen to power fusion reactions, healing the "wound" a little.

Insanely tough to kill.

Blast them with pozitrons (anti-electrons), imho. They're easy to make and contain, and with the electron cloud around an atom gone, the atom will try to distance itself from other atoms similarly stripped of electrons, matter bleeding out. There's more to yammer about, plasma states, high-temperature ions, free electrons yadda yadda yadda but dousing them in pozitrons will still wreck their shit, much like suddenly having all the potassium and sodium ions in your body vanish. There's not a lot of them in your body but their function is crucial enough to make them indispensable to living.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:01:58 pm by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »

The things feed off fusionable matter, and the energy discharge from the fusion reaction (pretty much everything we know as heat, light and radio waves). The weapons were meant to cause them severe indigestion.

I restate. If these things leech stars and the stellar fuel inside them, that means they can produce fusion on their own. They're living, voracious stars, with the end-results of fusion (helium, carbon, iron) incorporated in the things' bodies. What the fission gun does is force those heavier elements to rip apart into hydrogen, wounding the thing they're part of. But then they still get that small amount of hydrogen to power fusion reactions, healing the "wound" a little.

Insanely tough to kill.

Blast them with pozitrons (anti-electrons), imho. They're easy to make and contain, and with the electron cloud around an atom gone, the atom will try to distance itself from other atoms similarly stripped of electrons, matter bleeding out. There's more to yammer about, plasma states, high-temperature ions, free electrons yadda yadda yadda but dousing them in pozitrons will still wreck their shit, much like suddenly having all the potassium and sodium ions in your body vanish. There's not a lot of them in your body but their function is crucial enough to make them indispensable to living.
...*claps*

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »

SOMETHING EVIL: Plays the science card!

METAL MILITIA: Counters with the fiction card!

Void Dragons have a skin that's rather hard to explain (I'm burning my arse off by reading so many science papers and A level books) but they bounce EVERY THING except light.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

Void Dragons have a skin that's rather hard to explain (I'm burning my arse off by reading so many science papers and A level books) but they bounce EVERY THING except light.

YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!
Your plot runs on Nonsenseoleum!
Just kidding. While that might be possible, infinite elasticity does not seem likely.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »

EVERY THING except light.

Our chars are fucked...
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »

*Ahem*
Magic. That is all.
*Hugs*

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:21 pm »

And yet we're using physics, very loosely. >_>

But anyways.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »

Define 'light'. Radio radiation is technically a form of light as is UV and infrared. Along with visible...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »

*Ahem* The city of Madness that is all
*Hugs*

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »

Define 'light'. Radio radiation is technically a form of light as is UV and infrared. Along with visible...
If you're defining light as electromagnetic radiation, then everything from radio waves, microwaves, ultraviolet, visible, infrared, X-rays, and gamma rays are light.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #491 on: February 02, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »

Which then means lasers WILL work. To some degree of course.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 02, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »

Word of god was: Yes, but not well enough, *technobabble* will work better.
I think.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:42 pm »

Mmmkay; no more railroading into steel-hard sci-fi for me, then. (not diamond-hard bc. the 'nids have some pretty gaping inconsistencies too, as well as their psionics being a few steps short of "lol warpmagic!")

<MIT-graduate Mekboy>Your show. Just gimme some guns to shoot and I'll dismiss that they're not supposed to work. Waaaagh-powered guns it is.</MIT-graduate Mekboy>

Depends on what you do to them, and what you understand by "laser". Using coherent beams of photons to focus inside the Dragons' bodies and force particles into fission can work (superpowered optical tweezers).

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »

Depends on what you do to them, and what you understand by "laser". Using coherent beams of photons to focus inside the Dragons' bodies and force particles into fission can work (superpowered optical tweezers).
WAIT. THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.
O_O
You deserve a cookie.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 175