Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saving Money- For Retirement or Rent  (Read 1818 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Saving Money- For Retirement or Rent
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:22:10 am »

Hrm, so I might be employed again in a few months, with a large and stable company.

The last time I was employed I started an IRA and what not, but it just has a scant 302 USD in it currently.

Retirement saving, is fine for the long term, but what about something more immediate. Lets say you wanted to pay for Rent or a Mortgage with incurred interest?

For the sake of argument, lets say 500 dollars is the rent, and we're just aiming for just Rent, not utilities.

Heck, whats are some of yall plans for saving money for retirement in general?

In general I place 10% of every paycheck into saving, and if I have any money left over from paycheck before the next, that gets tossed into their as well. At the end of the month, 10% of that gets tossed into the IRA.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Money- For Retirement or Rent
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:48:36 pm »

Pay off all debt first unless it is fixed rate at an unusually low yield.

Beyond that, one of the best ways to save money is track your income and expenses on a spreadsheet or in a ledger book.  Once you start doing that, it'll become more obvious where you can save extra money.

By the way, with that $302 in your IRA you are probably paying more in administrative fees than you are earning in interest and capital gains.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:47:22 pm »

Kill debt. Get rid of all your credit cards except one. Only use that one when necessary.

Do what the guy above me said. If possible, keep putting money in the bank.

Of course I have never lived on my own, so I may be completely wrong. But I am very cheap, so you could just save money the way I do, live a spartan lifestyle. Except food.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »

I save by placing a 2 year hold on additional money I make from promotions. Say I get promoted and earn $4000 a year extra, all the extra goes into savings for the first two years since I already know how to survive on that amount. After 2 years, I start using the additional money in my checks to increase my standard of living.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:18 pm »

If the company you are working at has some kind of 401k matching program I recommend that you max that out before putting any money in a separate traditional IRA.

Also, if you are at a low tax bracket, a Roth IRA might be more tax efficient than a traditional IRA.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

One bachelor's tried and proven method to save money relatively quickly, with a meager wage - figure out your predictable expenses before you have to pay them. Not crap like food, clothing, car stuff, etc. Take a regular portion of it out of your weekly/biweekly/monthly pay, a fourth or half or whatever, in order to have it taken care of by the end of the month, and put that in your account and don't touch it. Then take half of what you have remaining, put it in the same pool, and don't touch it unless you absofuckinglutely have to. I'm talking about getting towed, hospital bills, bail money, survival pool in case you lose your job, that kind of thing - not gas, not food, not even "Holy crap I'm late for my doctor's appointment and my transportation is out for the count, I need a taxi." In fact, if you're looking at over half of your total pay going into bills, pay with cash everywhere you can.

It was a fantastic way for me to figure out where my money was going, where I need it most, and how to get by with a lot less than I thought was possible. It will also show you how much you really make - if you can live comfortably on that remaining 50%, consider cutting it down to 25%. When 10% of your income is enough to be considered "saving" (and not just pissing in the ocean), you've got to think about what you could be getting down the line if you saved more.

Of course, this isn't worth much if you have a family, or if the only thing that makes you happy is eating out and buying crap all the time. But meh :P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:02 pm »

If the company you are working at has some kind of 401k matching program I recommend that you max that out before putting any money in a separate traditional IRA.

Also, if you are at a low tax bracket, a Roth IRA might be more tax efficient than a traditional IRA.

True, by this we mean the employer will set up a 401(k) for you and if you put money in it the company will also put oney in, up to X% of your paycheck.

CAVEAT!

Often your 401(k) funds, the entire amount, are tied to how long you work there. This is "vesting" or some shit. You work there 1 year and get canned, you lose the whole thing. You work there 2 years and get canned, you get to keep only 15% or something. Furthermore, ask how they calculate "years" which is not what you might assume as a reasonable person. Last job I had they defined "years of employment" for 401(k) purposes as "how many full calendar years were you employed". I was hired in Oct, worked through to the following Oct, then the following Oct, then laid off the next May. To me, that means I worked there 2.5 years or so. To them, it was 1 full calendar year for my first January to my second January.

So point is, don't put money into a vestment-scheduled 401(k) until you actuall get a decent amount of vestment. Otherwise they could royally screw you.

I agree with the people saying "pay off your high interest debts". As importantly, pay secured debt before unsecured debt. That is, if they can repo it, pay it off. If they can't repo it, the debt can wait a bit. Negotiate with your creditors. Don't let them run you ragged, RUN THEM RAGGED. They will be happy to get whatever they can from you, times are so tough.

I'd also say to live low, as low as you're comfortable. Take advantage of any free things, including government assistance. Stop buying video games, get free games from the Internet. Stop renting movies or paying for cable TV, just use the Internet (Hulu, etc) and the library, or if you're desperate use Netflix. Shop for clothes etc. at thrift stores. Get free stuff and trade for stuff on Craigslist. If you're in a city with good mass transit, use that instead of a car, supplemented by a bicycle. But if you don't, drive an inexpensive motorcycle. If you need a car, drive an old Honda (and a Club, everyone steals them). Rent a place that doesn't have vermin and where you feel like you can walk around during the day, but not someplace with any kind of view or near desirable places like schools or whatever.

One thing I stress is to eat right. Don't eat organic free-range beef from cows who were scared to death by other cows or struck by lightning. But eat good food. Don't just eat macaroni and cheese every night. You can get a good variety of food fairly cheap, but don't go too cheap or your health will suffer. And to be honest, your health is probably more valuable to you than a lot of things, right?

Which reminds me, don't join a gym. You can get plenty of exercise bicycling around, walking, etc. Take advantage of neighborhood parks. Depending on where you live park space might be pretty awesome.

The rest of the money you have, the surplus every month, should go toward a 3-month buffer in a savings account from which you can withdraw any amount anytime. You should be able to find a bank with a 2-3% savings account with ability to withdraw anytime. Be willing to shop around and use a savings account at a bank you don't normally use. Customer loyalty is an iron maiden that will pierce your wallet and make you suffer and bleed. Once you have that 3-month emergency fund, shop around for other safe investment opportunities of at least 5% interest. Just remember that penalties for not having enough cash on hand will eat away at any interest you get from putting every spare cent in locked-down accounts like a CD.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »

You can also cut down on your costs by turning the heating down a notch or two and putting on an extra sweater and limit the time you need artificial light. Secondly, laptops need less energy then desktops and slo internet connections are cheaper then fast ones (no internet would be cheaper still, but I don't know how viable that would be for you)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:33 pm »

Credit Cards are actually rather nice if you always repay them and use them a bit more often than in emergencies and less of then than for every little thing. It builds up your credit rating rather well, and if you are smart with little risk.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:26:42 pm »

Debit cards are also a viable alternative to credit cards, depending on your income cycle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »

True, by this we mean the employer will set up a 401(k) for you and if you put money in it the company will also put oney in, up to X% of your paycheck.

CAVEAT!

Often your 401(k) funds, the entire amount, are tied to how long you work there. This is "vesting" or some shit. You work there 1 year and get canned, you lose the whole thing. You work there 2 years and get canned, you get to keep only 15% or something. Furthermore, ask how they calculate "years" which is not what you might assume as a reasonable person. Last job I had they defined "years of employment" for 401(k) purposes as "how many full calendar years were you employed". I was hired in Oct, worked through to the following Oct, then the following Oct, then laid off the next May. To me, that means I worked there 2.5 years or so. To them, it was 1 full calendar year for my first January to my second January.

Just to clarify something:

Every dollar you put into your 401k is yours.  It's the matching funds that have different rules from place to place.

Fortunately for my company's 401k it's always 100% vested.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »

Every dollar you put into your 401k is yours.  It's the matching funds that have different rules from place to place.
Even in the case of a bankruptcy?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »

Even in the case of a bankruptcy?

Yes that is correct.  If you have a 401k and the company you work for goes bankrupt, the money you have already contributed to the 401k is still yours. 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 06:43:08 pm »

I am currently making minimum 401k contributions and instead focusing on removing debt by any means possible. I have already payed off my bad credit cards that my shiftless lazy stupid cheating ex ran up.

My current plan is to pay off the car I bought my ex before I found out that I wasted years of my life on a shiftless lazy stupid cheating... ANYWAY... That way I get out from under my highest interest loan and insurance obligation, and once I have the title I will decide if I give the car to my parents or sell it to recover a little more money. If I do that this ASAP I will save up to 15k over the next three years depending on how quickly I do it and if I sell the car for a reasonable amount. After that I pay off my good credit card (7.9% interest), then the worst of my student loans (6.8% interest).

All of this is going to take an unfortunately large percentage of my income, I've cut back on ex related expenses, travel expenses, entertainment expenses, food and glorious caffeine (I had previously been spending upwards of $200 a month on caffeinated beverages of various kinds).

When I am down to the cheapest half (2.7% interest) of my student student loans, in about 1.5 to 2 years. I will reevaluate my retirement investments. Most likely significantly increasing them as well as allowing spending on frivolities.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:20:13 am »

I live in Australia but I just got my first ever full-time job so financial planning is something I have in mind as well.

I don't earn much but I do not live exquisitely either. I am fortunate enough to have no debts, but if you do have debts, make sure you pay them off starting from the ones with the highest interest rates. Also, you have to budget your annual spending based on after-tax income and make sure you are reasonable (being conservative also helps) about the figures, i.e. I allocate a noticeable percentage of my income to entertainment (social gatherings, toys, games, etc.). Do not ignore the fact that you need entertainment but also don't go overboard with these non-essential items. I am sure a lot of other expenses would be predictable (i.e. rent fees would not fluctuate much within a year). I actually decided to put in 50% of my after-tax income into buying real estates in one of the emerging economies..
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)