Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cotton candy mace  (Read 1522 times)

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cotton candy mace
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:26:49 am »

I didn't make it, my moody weaponsmith did.  He's max skill now so I'm not too upset, I'm just looking for ideas for it.  I thought about giving it to my captain of the guard and making him the only member of his squad and completely forgoing a jail and ignoring future mandates.  I'm also kind of toying with the idea of putting it in a weapon trap and pitting captured gobbos onto it and making sure they have to stand on it.  Maybe even make a goblin repeater with the featherclub as a trap along its patch and see exactly how long it takes to kill a goblin.

I'm kind of at a loss though, I mean it's worth over a million dwarfbucks, my first legendary to be that nice.  It lacks in any special decoration, just menaces with cowbone and some other stuff.  I'm open to suggestions though on how exactly to use this.  So tell me, what would you do with an artifact mace made of cotton candy?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton candy mace
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:47:40 am »

I tested this in the arena, and it is only rarely lethal, so giving it to the police could be fun. Of the dwarves that I tested, all died of punches or kicks to the head that crushed the skull into the brain.

FYI it appears that featherwood (from the good tree) training axes or "cotton candy" maces are decent police/fortress guard weapons. Occasionally one of the guards will get a combat opportunity and decide to go Mike Tyson or Chuck Norris on someone.

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:47:59 am »

see if it's safe for danger room use. Even if a few dwarfs die, their friends won't be too fussed about it!

EDIT:*facepalm* nevermind, forgot the whole reason we use upright spears is cause weapon traps won't trigger on friendlies.

Give it to your hammerer, for gentle justice!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:49:44 am by RadPanda »

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:44 am »

Can I even get a Hammerer?  I've never gotten one and the wiki seems to imply they're bugged.  I should be getting a king at some point.  I hopefully a replacement Duke after the last one had a terrible drowning accident in his own bedroom.

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:21:51 am »

Pretty much your "Hammerer" is your sheriff or your fortress guard , cause they deal out the punishment.
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 08:26:10 am »

Pretty much your "Hammerer" is your sheriff or your fortress guard , cause they deal out the punishment.

It used to be that the Hammerer was an actual person who was part of the royal guard (not the captain), but with all the noble bugs he is about as rare as an unmodified dungeon master, if not more so.

As for the mace, using it on pitted goblins isn't a good idea unless you are planning on putting them up against megabeasts and the like, not your dwarves, because they will gain weapon skills (or more specifically, fighter and dodger) while they "fight" the trap.  Giving it to the captain of the guard is a good choice, and I think that cotton candy blunt weapons can still stun, so giving it to a wrestler who is good at everything but using a weapon might be useful as well.  You could also just make a little engraved shrine around it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:01:36 am »

I got a pretty awesome steel/platinum axe in one fort.  I built a weapon trap in my dining hall, with that included as the weapon.  Insta-legendary hall and happy dorfs.  Alternatively, use the same weapon trap for a noble's room.  Remember that many artifacts can be built in some way, which adds room value.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 10:35:05 am »

EDIT:*facepalm* nevermind, forgot the whole reason we use upright spears is cause weapon traps won't trigger on friendlies.
You can still do it by causing a controlled cave-in that stuns somebody standing on the trap, but this is only really useful for putting dwarves in cages.

Unless this was fixed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

So I've pitted a gobbo onto a walled in weapon trap with only my mace.  Its been pummeling him for about a season now and I haven't noticed a dodge yet.  I've seen the occasional miss.  The goblin heals his injuries unless the body part is small.  Most of her fingers and toes are bashed and broken.  Her ears are torn and she's lost a few teeth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »

Keep at it!  He'll break eventually!

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:33 pm »

Keep at it!  She'll break eventually!
Fixed.

If I'd give a coton candy mace to a legendary maceman who normally uses a steel one, how effective will he be at fighting unarmed gobbos?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »

Go to the weapon testing arena :D

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

that maceman would get more but lighter hits. due to low weight he can swing it much more times and much faster, leading to fairly high velocity and refire rate.
try it!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:53 pm »

It won't hurt at all, but it won't hurt very rapidly.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 04:36:43 pm »

Pages: [1] 2