Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making things even more complicated  (Read 1681 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Making things even more complicated
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 12:36:17 pm »

As for working different on different creatures - not likely.  Weight is weght, and an axe to the forehead works as well for a forgotten beast as it does a groundhog.

As for spewing lava - no, not likely either.  That would likely involve reshaping the existing game code into some horrid chimera of misplaced function snippets and self-replicating lava.  So, just no.

As for blood - yes.  Currently caravans do sell barrels of blood, which has zero use as of now, but if modded to include blood as part of the reaction, then it would work.  Just be aware that you'd need to buy blood from the caravan on any attempt to rune-ify, and that I don't believe blood barrels will stockpile.  Using a particular part of animal, like "Prepared Dragon Heart" might be more plausible...

As for "catastrophic failure" -  maybe.  I haven't looked, but it's my understanding that the quality of work decides the value of the item in use.  Like, a Masterwork steel shield will work better than a dabbling steel shield.  If this is true, and can be modified, then you could include 3 quality types, failure, success, and great success.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 01:05:31 pm »

The runes sound harder, but you may want to look into the raws for encrusting/decorations, and see if there's a way to modify the weight or tear strength of a weapon via decorations.  If it's possible, then making a workshop that uses a diamond (or suitably valuable thing) and modifies a weapon to have 1.5x weight or something, would be easy.  Just keep in mind that weapons are based on something similar to real world physics.  There's no number that says "this weapon does X attack power" but instead relies on weight, sheer strength, impact size, etc, to determine the combat values.

Perhaps something that will convert (for example) a steel sword into a runic steel sword, with higher numbers in the relevant stats, by adding some ridiculously expensive stuff to the mix.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:11:06 pm »

Right, because I'm a bit insane in the member

So you've got syphillis? I'm sorry. That was awful and insensitive. But I just couldn't pass it up. I feel shame.

Anyways...

What about having more complicated smelting? Y'know, a bunch of different varieties of steel, adding in some fantasy metals which, once you smelt the ore, you have to smelt it with some other stuff in a series of steps to get the impurities out, that kind of thing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:37 pm »

That idea is fine and all, except that it piles up fast.  Thats a lot of useless intermediate steps and useless items.  It'd be better to do it like steel and do it all-in-one.  You combine pig iron, fuel, and iron, for steel, instead of some fancier method.  So, instead of combining X and Y, and then combining XY and Z to get the finish, just have the reaction require X, Y, and Z all at once, so that the entire refining and impurity process is reduced to 1 reaction.  Not as fancy, sure, but it achieves the same result with less confusion.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 01:51:47 pm »

That idea is fine and all, except that it piles up fast.  Thats a lot of useless intermediate steps and useless items.  It'd be better to do it like steel and do it all-in-one.  You combine pig iron, fuel, and iron, for steel, instead of some fancier method.  So, instead of combining X and Y, and then combining XY and Z to get the finish, just have the reaction require X, Y, and Z all at once, so that the entire refining and impurity process is reduced to 1 reaction.  Not as fancy, sure, but it achieves the same result with less confusion.

But then where's the Fun from not having it when you have a moody dwarf?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:36 am »

But then where's the Fun from not having it when you have a moody dwarf?
moody dwarves ignore requirements except for the ones in the artifact requirement list. Making Lots of useless immediate items which need tracking isnt smart. Also reason why I removed pig iron and tallow from my mod.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

You could add all sorts of reactions so you have to jump through hoops to make a single item but the games code can't handle tracking multiple materials in objects such as weapons so the end result wouldn't change much. You'd have to make entirely new weapons the have different properties but it would only be a marginal change seeing as how weapon and armor quality is based mostly off the material the weapon is made of. If you want take have a large impact on how good weapons and armors are, you have to make up new materials, which you could make require multiple steps to get the finished product, like steel does. Also the rune thing just wouldn't work since magic and magical effects have been implemented yet. Nor can you really choose when and what artifacts you make, unless you use a memory hacking tool and even then it only gives you partial control. Both multi-material items and magic are on Toady's to-do list but there is no telling when either will be implemented.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]