Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making things even more complicated  (Read 1684 times)

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
Making things even more complicated
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »

Right, because I'm a bit insane in the member, I though of a few things I'd like to do in DF, but have not a damn clue how to even start, beyond random editing that will likely destroy the playability, anyway.

Note, this is a bit of a modding question, so go no further lest ye wish to comment 'pon the buggery or have a helpful hint hauled around in thine noggin.

Idea the First: Hafts and Weapons.

I like the idea of producing large quantities of weapons entirely made from a single bar of metal, but I really want to produce large quantities of weapon parts, and then attach them to hafts and whatnot. So the concept being to take a bar of metal, go to a forge, create more than one weapon head (by type; Axe, Spear, Sword blade, etc) and then take the head to a different workshop, and attach the weapon head to a haft after sharpening the blade on a whetstone (produced at a masons workshop).

Long story short, how the hell do I even start that? Modding the obsidian reactions? Agh.

Idea the Second: Runic Weapons

The idea is a little more silly, and probably a hell of a lot farther out there, but I like the idea of putting in a ridiculous amount of work into weapons to produce extremely potent artifacts. The core idea being that you take parts of weapons, or whole weapons, and take them to be inscribed in potent runes at some sort of rune forge (Built possibly out of the rare and potent ada.. Hidden Fun stuff) and having a large period of work put in to increase the overall strengths of the weapon and or armor.

Long story short, making that axe even better. If possible. (Less important than the first, but still, it'd be fun and fluffy to do so.)

And....that's actually it anyway. IDEAS MAGNIFICENT BOARD OF MAGNIFICENT EVIL DWARF-GINEERS? (Cus it'd be nice so that my ideas don't just rot in my brain tormenting me that I can't actually figure out how to mod properly..)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Making things even more complicated
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:45:05 pm »

Well, yeah, I think you could mod some reactions into making the seperate parts, then make another one which combines those parts into a weapon. You'll have to create new raws for those parts though.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »

...this probably belongs in the http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0 Modding Forum...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:19 pm »

I NEVER KNOW THESE THINGS, FORGIVE MY NEWBISH MANNERISM.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:29 pm »

...right, well then.... k...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:41 pm »

While this thread is still here: There's a weapon mod mod that does some things you want. You might try looking at how that guy did it.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:56 pm »

Could #1 be achieved by adding some new items called swordblade, spearhead, and axehead (I don't know what it's called) and then making a reaction in mason's workshop which makes those into shaprened swordblade, sharpened spearhead, etc. And then make another reaction at forge that makes this and a bar of metal into a spear, sword, axe, whatever?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:58:36 pm »

I think this is theoretically simple.  Just generate a new set of factories, that take in 1 Iron (or other) and produce 5 Axe Head (or whatever) and then another that takes 1 Axe Head and 1 Log and produces 1 Axe.  I've only glanced at the raws for buildings, but I think it's very easy to modify their purpose and input/output.  Just need to make sure that there's appropriate raws for the new items being produced, and very likely you'll want to make a duplicate DF copy.  That is, right click the file, and copy it somewhere, so that you have two complete copies.  One to mod to hell and the other to actually play and/or backup from.

The runes sound harder, but you may want to look into the raws for encrusting/decorations, and see if there's a way to modify the weight or tear strength of a weapon via decorations.  If it's possible, then making a workshop that uses a diamond (or suitably valuable thing) and modifies a weapon to have 1.5x weight or something, would be easy.  Just keep in mind that weapons are based on something similar to real world physics.  There's no number that says "this weapon does X attack power" but instead relies on weight, sheer strength, impact size, etc, to determine the combat values.

If all of that fails, then I know it's possible to simply create new items.  Like, have a workshop that takes 1 Axe and 1 Diamond and produces 1 Rune Axe, which is a totally separate type of item with unique raws and stuff.  The only issue there, is that there's a limit to your available upgrades until you modify the raws to extend the upgrade limit.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 07:02:45 pm »

The catch is that you have to name one of the new workshops the "Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! Lab"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

Also, to be considered Dwarven in any sense of the word, it must require magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:22 pm »

1 reaction further is not my idea of complication. Do this do that and you are done. No decisions involved whatsoever.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »

Also, to be considered Dwarven in any sense of the word, it must require magma.
with chained/caged &s that do the actual enchanting for gem payment

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:43 am »

Chained &, of course...

Can you have a reaction set that requires the presence of an animal in some fashion?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:07:17 pm »

milking & butchery, shearing is coming soon I don't know if you can create a reaction like that though

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 12:17:06 pm »

1 reaction further is not my idea of complication. Do this do that and you are done. No decisions involved whatsoever.

I agree.
We need to distinguish between fun complications and useless complications.

The rune weapons/armour can be a nice idea, but you should put some thrill in it.
Like you need to bath the weapon in the blood of some rare and powerful creatures to cast the rune and having a probability that the runforger do something wrong and shatter the weapon instead.
Different runes should have different effects, possibly with some disavantage.
For example a runic weapons can be super effective in fighting with large beasts but having a negative modifier when fighting with normal size crestures.
Or make a hammer that can shatter the ground and generate spurts of lava but have a change of making the wielder explode...
If I think at the probability that some friendly dorfes can be onthe shattering line...
Ah this is just fun...
Pages: [1] 2