Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"  (Read 22292 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »

Fun fact: Brasilians don't infact call a certain style of... female crotch-moustache a "brazilian", they call it a "Hitler" ;)

I thought a Brazilian meant no hair at all? :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

and nobody names their children Adolf anymore

My cousin is called Gustav. Gustav Adolph (ok, Gustavo Adolfo).

To be fair, Gustav Adolf revers to an entirely different historical figure, so I can definitely see that. In America at least it's practically unheard of for children to be named purely Adolf. (except of course for that time with the kid named Adolf Hitler in new jersey or so).

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

Some parents apparently just want to torture their children. I've seen some terrible, terrible baby names.

I have seen children named: Bobo(M), Legolas(M), Bondo(M), Forker(M), Lemon(F), Zoke(F, pronounced Zoo-key), Nigra(F).

And none of those were nicknames, they were legal names. Then theres all the names that don't really sound appropriate for the gender. Like I know a guy named Fran, and a girl named Charles.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

...and to carry on this little thread hijack;

Two of my favourites apparently from a US census were "Chlamydia" and "Latrine" as girls names...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2011, 04:04:35 pm »

...and to carry on this little thread hijack;

Two of my favourites apparently from a US census were "Chlamydia" and "Latrine" as girls names...
I would love to see an intensive study done to show correlations between retarded names and suicide rates.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:48 pm »

Cracked taught me to name all of my male children Ryan.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

While all this talk of Hitler "mustaches", and the history of camouflage is interesting and all, its also VERY off topic

Whether torrenting a game you already own is illegal probably depends on local copyright law. I know it's illegal in Finland, where copying anything classified as "software", even for personal use, is specifically prohibited. For torrenting, say, a movie, it'd be a lot more ambiguous. You're allowed to make copies for personal use, and to get someone else to make you copies, but I guess there might be something illegal taking place that a sufficiently motivated lawyer could latch on. Elsewhere? I haven't the foggiest. Either way, most publishers probably aren't going to push it if you can show that you legally own the stuff you downloaded. I'd say that it's de facto allowed. Depending on your court system, this might be more important than whether or not it is technically illegal.
Its legal to download it using a torrent, but not legal to seed it using a torrent (since you are distributing it to tons of people, and you don't have the right to that). So unless you are being a terrible person and not seeding (seriously though, seed on torrents or you suck  >:() then its illegal.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

I've said this before but it needs repeated: downloading software is not illegal in most countries, license or not. Uploading software is, however. The fun thing with torrents is that you're usually uploading while you're downloading, unless you're using a naughty torrent client. That makes you a distributor of copyrighted crud.
Are you certain? I thought it was just one of those things that are illegal but too much of a hassle to do anything about so the police doesn't even attempt to do anything about it and instead focuses on the uploaders.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:42 pm »

I've said this before but it needs repeated: downloading software is not illegal in most countries, license or not. Uploading software is, however. The fun thing with torrents is that you're usually uploading while you're downloading, unless you're using a naughty torrent client. That makes you a distributor of copyrighted crud.
Are you certain? I thought it was just one of those things that are illegal but too much of a hassle to do anything about so the police doesn't even attempt to do anything about it and instead focuses on the uploaders.

Yeah, that doesn't seem quite right. We can just download whatever software we please (esp. without using torrents and rather using things like Rapiddespair, that way we're not sharing) in most countries?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »

While all this talk of Hitler "mustaches", and the history of camouflage is interesting and all, its also VERY off topic

Whether torrenting a game you already own is illegal probably depends on local copyright law. I know it's illegal in Finland, where copying anything classified as "software", even for personal use, is specifically prohibited. For torrenting, say, a movie, it'd be a lot more ambiguous. You're allowed to make copies for personal use, and to get someone else to make you copies, but I guess there might be something illegal taking place that a sufficiently motivated lawyer could latch on. Elsewhere? I haven't the foggiest. Either way, most publishers probably aren't going to push it if you can show that you legally own the stuff you downloaded. I'd say that it's de facto allowed. Depending on your court system, this might be more important than whether or not it is technically illegal.
Its legal to download it using a torrent, but not legal to seed it using a torrent (since you are distributing it to tons of people, and you don't have the right to that). So unless you are being a terrible person and not seeding (seriously though, seed on torrents or you suck  >:() then its illegal.
You have no knowledge of who is using that torrent. For all you know, everyone on that torrent could be using it legally, or not. You have zero responsibility for what's being done with it. This is why you can legally run a TOR relay without being blamed for what's going through your relay. At least, that's the logic that should follow from that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »

You have no knowledge of who is using that torrent. For all you know, everyone on that torrent could be using it legally, or not. You have zero responsibility for what's being done with it. This is why you can legally run a TOR relay without being blamed for what's going through your relay. At least, that's the logic that should follow from that.

Are you serious? You're making copyrighted product available for anyone who asks for it. You might as well say it's legal to operate a bootleg DVD stand; after all, the people buying might have a legal license!

A TOR relay/proxy isn't remotely similar. That's just a way to access arbitrary content; it is not solely intended for downloading/uploading copyrighted material, and even if it were, providing access to that if someone so chooses is far different from actually hosting it and giving it to people yourself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2011, 06:40:17 pm »

Are you serious? You're making copyrighted product available for anyone who asks for it. You might as well say it's legal to operate a bootleg DVD stand; after all, the people buying might have a legal license!
Except, in this case, distribution requires nothing more than an internet connection, and it is not being done for profit (and a major reason companies go after people who pirate things is because they're making money off of it in some way).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »

Except, in this case, distribution requires nothing more than an internet connection, and it is not being done for profit (and a major reason companies go after people who pirate things is because they're making money off of it in some way).
Its the reason they go after them sure, but it doesn't change the legality of it as far as i know. If the bootleg DVD person was giving them away for free, it would still be just as illegal (although a company wouldn't be as bothered by it).
Odds are, no matter how illegal it is, you won't ever face any consequences for downloading and torrenting illegal material (unless you run a hosting site or something similar).

Yeah, that doesn't seem quite right. We can just download whatever software we please (esp. without using torrents and rather using things like Rapiddespair, that way we're not sharing) in most countries?
Yes, you can, and you won't ever face any consequences (since they won't ever be able to get very many people for it, and its not worth it in general), its technically illegal, but its not like anyone but the companies that you are stealing (for lack of a better word) stuff from and politicians that they pay care about it or will do anything about it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2011, 07:05:34 pm »

A TOR relay/proxy isn't remotely similar. That's just a way to access arbitrary content; it is not solely intended for downloading/uploading copyrighted material, and even if it were, providing access to that if someone so chooses is far different from actually hosting it and giving it to people yourself.
Bootleg DVDs are illegal no matter if the people you're SELLING them to have a legal copy or not. Same with giving away DVDs for free. You are not distributing the content to specific people. You are distributing the content to random arbitrary people, instead of random arbitrary content.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:09 pm »

You are not distributing the content to specific people. You are distributing the content to random arbitrary people, instead of random arbitrary content.
Hm... would you mind explaining that part a bit better, cause i don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14