Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"  (Read 22304 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47:16 pm »

I'm reminded of a concert I went to a few months ago, where the lead singer, between songs, announced: "Our next song is one we didn't write [it was a cover, either Linoleum or Punk Rock Girl], it's from out new album, 99 Songs of Revolution, and if you don't have it, then go on the internet and steal it because it's great and we think everyone should hear it." The same person also said (in an interview about one of their earlier albums (which was then tacked onto the end of the album)) "For that we sacrificed months of our time and our money, and now we feel what we have is worth paying for. Although, truth be told, I don't care if a single record is sold... Do I think it's worth thirteen dollars? Yes, very much so, but that's my opinion. What other people decide, that's their own opinion. We're going to keep doing what we do whether or not a single record is sold."

The only bands that make a meaningful sum of money, especially those signed with big labels, off of record sales are the ones that are making an absolutely obscene sum off of live performances as well. Small, independent bands should be more concerned with using filesharing like the radio of old: as a means of publicity. Every musician I've talked to (who has any albums, that is), has said that they put their work on filesharing sites for the publicity, even ones who also sell them.

Ah yes, Bay12, where you can start a thread on how pirating is not all that bad and end up on how Hitler ruined everything because of his sense of style and not the fact he killed so many people.
Everyone dies eventually, but aesthetics belong to everyone. Tainting a set of aesthetics for generations is clearly the greater crime, because it hurts everyone, not just an exceedingly small subset of humanity. :P
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »

Don't forget how they totally ruined black and silver uniforms for everyone else as well
No, that ruined itself. Sure, back then they were *fabulouuuus*. But now... they're just meh.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 11:53:16 pm »

Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2011, 01:52:56 am »

While we're at the Hitler subject, I've met in person:

A SS member who only drank on Hitler's birthday (died from old age and was rich as hell)
And Hitler's second degree cousin (still alive but probably will die from old age soon, she's like 90)

Interesting people to say the least. Not sure what were their thoughts on copyright tho.

Don't forget how they totally ruined black and silver uniforms for everyone else as well
No, that ruined itself. Sure, back then they were *fabulouuuus*. But now... they're just meh.
We had a nazi/nazi-inspired clothing store here. My dream overcoat is the SS coat, they sold it but I never got to go there and buy it in time. People obviously got offended. If only I could get enough people offended here to close these churches that 'pray' at 120db at night.

The only bands that make a meaningful sum of money, especially those signed with big labels, off of record sales are the ones that are making an absolutely obscene sum off of live performances as well.
Yes, I remember seeing a study somewhere that said something like 70% (or something like that, was above 60%) of a major band's income was still from shows. Even if they gave their music for free, they would still be insanely wealthy.

On the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVYhwKu7J5E
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:58:59 am by Soulwynd »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2011, 02:14:27 am »

and nobody names their children Adolf anymore
I actually remember this one story where child services took away a kid from some people in the US who named the child "Adolf Hitler". Not just Adolf. Adolf Hitler.

Are you kidding? They had the best looking military uniforms ever. Much better than the meh green and brown suits military officials wear these days.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:53 am »

Pretty much the only uniforms one sees these days are those unnerving camo fatigues, at least in the US. Hell, generals wear them for televised press conferences. And somehow blur into the entirely differently colored background. I've seen a lot of soldiers on leave wearing them around here too. Unnerving as hell how they fuck with optical processing. You wouldn't think tan fatigues would blur into red brick, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just look like a vague tan blur unless you look close.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2011, 03:30:02 am »

I don't know why the current topic is Hitler and I'm too tired to read through 10 pages of discussions. This thread should have ended after 1 reply.

The reason this happened, OP, is extremely simple: Moderators of company forums like this are not allowed to support torrenting or discussions of torrenting, regardless of what their personal opinion may be, and regardless of the specifics in which you are torrenting.

Speaking as someone who has been employed as a Mod at a publishing company, I'd implore you not to argue about this. Mods don't make the rules, they simply enforce them. They aren't paid to have an opinion, they are paid to keep the forum as 'pleasant' and uncontroversal and positive as possible, so the company has a good image and isn't embroiled in heated debates over legality and morality. They don't want anything to do with that shit.

You're not being silenced, they just don't want it on their forums. They are well within their rights to delete your thread. Please don't make their jobs harder and more stressful. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but the simple fact is that Mods cannot change these rules. So just deal with it.

</thread>
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2011, 03:31:03 am »

<thread>
Its less of they blend in so much as the design blurs the human form. If you look in a shadow and see a blacker black within it you just think its something or other unimportant but if it has the shape of a human then you lock right in on it. Our brains have highly advanced shape recognition so camo is used to make a human not look human in shape.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2011, 03:35:52 am »

...whats the point of trying to shut down the thread? if your opinion is that it should have ended after reply one...and your to tired to even read the thread then perhaps....stop? go read something else? Cause you missed a lot in ten pages...we aren't even addressing the OP anymore and as with most topics...the subject at hand has shifted...I am sorry we inconvenienced you by changing a topic and freely speaking  ::)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2011, 03:37:47 am »

Pretty much the only uniforms one sees these days are those unnerving camo fatigues, at least in the US. Hell, generals wear them for televised press conferences. And somehow blur into the entirely differently colored background. I've seen a lot of soldiers on leave wearing them around here too. Unnerving as hell how they fuck with optical processing. You wouldn't think tan fatigues would blur into red brick, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just look like a vague tan blur unless you look close.

Colour matching isn't the main reason camo clothing is so effective, it's mostly the way the pattern is irregular and breaks up any visual lines so distorting visual cues. It's interesting how much of the things we think we see is patten recognition rather than what we really 'see'. For a similar reason the stripes on a tiger work despite the colour clash with the green backgrounds :)

Preview Edit: Seems Akhier got their first :P I clearly type too slow.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2011, 03:40:46 am »

Yeah with the new digital camo its so hard to even see whats going on even up close...if you try and focus on more than a small area your sense of it all gets confused lol

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:42 am »

Moderators of company forums like this are not allowed to support torrenting or discussions of torrenting, regardless of what their personal opinion may be, and regardless of the specifics in which you are torrenting.

Speaking as someone who has been employed as a Mod at a publishing company, I'd implore you not to argue about this. Mods don't make the rules, they simply enforce them. They aren't paid to have an opinion, they are paid to keep the forum as 'pleasant' and uncontroversal and positive as possible, so the company has a good image and isn't embroiled in heated debates over legality and morality. They don't want anything to do with that shit.

You're not being silenced, they just don't want it on their forums. They are well within their rights to delete your thread. Please don't make their jobs harder and more stressful. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but the simple fact is that Mods cannot change these rules. So just deal with it.

Read my first post and then reply with something relevant. :p

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2011, 04:25:25 am »

I'm not baffled by the concept of camouflage, I'm amazed that they've managed to create such effective camouflage in such an innocuous form as those fatigues. ::)

I am a little bit baffled by its apparent use as a standard uniform for all military functions, worn even by high ranking officers at press conferences, though. I also find the effect somewhat unnerving when presented with it.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:08 am »

Is it not the point of the uniform to be innocuous? If it was something that stood out then it would not do the job it was meant to do. Also its not something we just "created", the use of such things has been around for as long as people realized that a human shape was easier to find then one that is not human shaped. Its just in the past the people who used such things by necessity where not out giving speeches though a world wide transmission device. They just look better because we streamlined the production side of it.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2011, 04:37:31 am »

I'd love to see a military function where everybody was wearing a ghillie suit, though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14