Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danger rooms train miners, too (and maybe woodcutters)  (Read 1202 times)

Slade Beds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms train miners, too (and maybe woodcutters)
« on: January 24, 2011, 07:50:56 am »

One of my miners got stuck in my danger room while attempting to retrieve a dog corpse. And, along with my soldiers her fighting and mining skills increased as she knocked the wooden spears out of the air. I'm unsure what she started out as when she went into the room, but she was one of the miners I drafted and trained by hollowing out huge spaces underground...

There's no reason that this wouldn't work on woodcutters, who carry an axe at all times and train by hitting things with that axe. This would be less useful to me as I only need wood for beds now, and caravans bring more than enough.

Some unscrupulous individual could outfit a bunch of unskilled immigrants with picks, drop them into a danger room from above with a trap door and assigned lever, turn on the spikes, go make a sandwich, and come back to a crew of elite miners.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
Re: Danger rooms train miners, too (and maybe woodcutters)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:25:16 am »

Fighting and mining with a pickaxe both use the mining skill.  Fighting with an axe uses the axe skill while cutting wood with it uses the woodcutting skill.  Throwing a miner into the danger room gave you a skilled miner because he was practicing "mining" the spears out of the way, but a woodcutter would only get better at cutting anything BUT wood.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:26 am »

It depends wath ITEM he used , if he used a pick it will increase the skill in mining , if he used a battleaxe it would increase in axe skill , idk what skill woodcutters use
Desu

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:38:07 am »

Mining skill is used when fighting while armed with picks.  A better use for the danger room would be for training shield, fighting, and dodge skills since the only other ways are through training (slow) or actual fighting (dangerous) while you can actually set miners to mine soil levels which will level up mining relatively fast.  That being said, Legendary miners are a good choice to throw into a danger room since weaponskills seem to level slower in danger rooms and all they really need is defensive skills.  I usually make miners my first militia members.     

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:36:22 pm »

since weaponskills seem to level slower in danger rooms and all they really need is defensive skills.  I usually make miners my first militia members.   

weapon skills in there level as fast as defensive ... just remove shields on the occupants when maxed out :) .. just a sidenote

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

Some unscrupulous individual could outfit a bunch of unskilled immigrants with picks, drop them into a danger room from above with a trap door and assigned lever, turn on the spikes, go make a sandwich, and come back to a crew of elite miners.
No...  most of my unskilled immigrants get drafted into a 'junk' military that gets assigned armor of whatever the most common metal is, a random self-chosen melee weapon, and then get tossed into the danger room anyway.  These are the dwarves I use to handle contaminant-laden FB's.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."