Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS Crash?  (Read 1305 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
FPS Crash?
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »

I know that framerate is the be-all-end-all of a working fort, and I thought I was safe from having it crash on me since I'm running a fairly modern computer.  It's not liquid cooled but it's a few magnitudes more powerful than the common laptop.  During my current fort though, which I'm so proud about because it's actually survived, my FPS has started jittering.  I get ~35 FPS normally, which is fine for me since I can leave my dorfs to run about without too much oversight, but then it started to take breaks on me.  My FPS will run regular for a while, and then stop entirely for about a second or two, then perform about 30 steps before it freezes again.  It's a rough freeze too, because the window will include (Not Responding) at the top and the graphics freeze, like that little graphic for when two items are atop each other and they flash one object then another?  That will stop as well.

I'm on a 5x5 embark, with a river on one side, and 60 dwarves, very few animals and most of them chained or caged.  GFPS is always identical to the FPS, I don't have any running water aside from the river.  I ran some water to fill me well reservoir, but the floodgates have closed since then.  This is un-modified, except that I made monkeys into [PET] after the issues started.

Am I doing something wrong, does this happen at random times on random forts, or is the coding a little sloppy for some things?  Oh also, I haven't broken into any of the cavern layers yet.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Crash?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »

Well that river wont help. Neither will the large embark.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:09 pm »

Sounds like an ambush is in the area.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »

You may have ghosts roaming your fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »

I do have a few ghosts, namely caravan guards who got their asses handed to them, and ambushes are insanely common, which is why so many caravan guards are dead.  I wasn't aware that 5x5 was a large area though, and if rivers are that much of an issue then how do people manage to create indoor plumbing for fountains and dining-room-waterfalls?  Those murky pools aren't going to support an aqueduct.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »

This happens to me when I get temperature changes outside and my brook freezes or thaws.  And yes, 5x5 is a bit large of an embark.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:45:09 pm »

Oh, I'm playing in a Hot climate, so no freezing at all.  I guess I'll pick a smaller embark next time though, but this is my first fort to survive the first real attack, because on all my others I get ambushed, someone dies, and tantrum spiral.  Lucky I got an artifact mechanism, which I built into a lever in my dining hall that links to my main drawbridge, so everyone's happy that eats, and there's always someone to flip the defensive switch.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:50:55 pm »

Ghosts are a known problem. Engrave slabs or get corpses into coffins ASAP, and see if putting them all to rest helps with the jitters.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »

Ok, since it's caravan guard who are dead and ghostly, I don't think I can bury them (right?) and I can't engrave a slab for them either, since their names don't appear on the list.  I do though, have several unnamed options, where it just says "(Engrave Memorial)" instead of "So-and-So (Engrave Memorial)".

I've had several ambushes fall to cage traps turned gladiator pit, so there's a long list of corpses on the memorial window.  Do I just start engraving shit until the ghosts disappear?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 04:27:23 pm »

Oh lookit that, I can assign them a tomb.  I'll get them in the ground as soon as my miner digs out my "guest tomb".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:37:28 pm »

Blank names are for things that appear on kill lists as '[nameless] the whatever' (trader animals, possibly). Sometimes names will disappear from engraving lists as soon as the ghost rises, which is a bit of a bugger if you have nothing to bury. Just engraving won't work, you need to go and build the memorials as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:17 pm »

I know I need to build the slab after it's engraved, but I first need to engrave it, and this seems impossible as long as the ghost is risen, yes?  This appears to be very counter-intuitive...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

I know I need to build the slab after it's engraved
Okay, it was just the phrasing of 'engraving shit until the ghosts disappear'.

but I first need to engrave it, and this seems impossible as long as the ghost is risen, yes?  This appears to be very counter-intuitive...
I don't think it happens all that often, since it would probably be a more well-known issue if it did. It's also not guaranteed that a ghost will drain FPS. I wonder if the ghosts whose names disappear are the ones who drain FPS?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 05:16:15 pm »

Now that I remember, the FPS kill and the ghosts did occur around the same time, and this is the most workable solution, since I don't want to scrap my first good fortress or turn off invasions (since that may not help, and wouldn't be any fun anyways) so right now it's just an issue that this is an easy thing to try and only costs me 1 piece of stone to attempt.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »

If it helps, my game started freezing every few seconds just before the two unburied dwarves in my fort rose from the dead, and stopped immediately after I put them to rest.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2