Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts are failing...  (Read 1801 times)

Fulizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts are failing...
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »

for some reason, (a while ago, no more save) I had a cavern, eventually a Forotten beast came, After swimming through water (strange considering it was made of fire) it reahed my fortress, I amasssed my angry mob and forced it away, where it died out of site, I never found it's corpse, a second one came about two years later, which I managed to kill and loot for around 300 food, (which I pawned to merchants for weapons). after this a lone giant toad attacked.
It managted to kill two dwarves and rip of the left arm of a third (he survived, and proceeded to try to cut trees(lol)).

Could someone explain?

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts are failing...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:47 pm »

Ones made of fire or other substances basically have no armour to protect them.
Ones made of flesh can easily be killed by a spear through the heart/head/throat e.t.c
Its the ones made of rock and other hard substances that are difficult, fortunatly I havnt yet seen a dwarven beard hair FB.
Also every now and then you'll get one which spews enough deadly dust to rot every dwarves internal organs within a ten mile radius. #

They really are random in deadliness. 
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »

Well acording to many Threads i read, you can get Luckshots on FBs too. I Mean i recently had my first two, the first was a Flying Snake thinige, the other some kind of snail. About 5 Tiles from my Fort Entrance the first FB got one shotted by a Speardwarf, the other one that appeared later almost eliminated my Military completly before going down. I think it depends what the FB is like, ones with deadly dust can be Lethal while other made out of snow for example just melt without you doing anything. So, you were probably good prepared and maybe a bit lucky too.

Its the same with other attackers. Im playing Genesis currently, and the first siege i got (16 Goblins) was killed only by about 6 Cagetraps and my 2 Miners ive had put in the military so they could hold them off. A different Siege (Again Goblins, about 15 i think) killed 7 fully equipped Dwarfs before being destroyed. Its a bit random at times^^
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:17:34 pm »

Isn't there also a raw somewhere for FB stats?  Can't you just snip out [SNOW] and add [ADAMANTINE]?

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:40:31 pm »

Or [SLADE].
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »

Oh man, what if you get "A great blob composed of raw adamantine, it knows and intones the names of all it encounters. Beware its deadly dust!" How do you kill that‽ (Interrobang)

In my (very recent) experience the ones with deadly dust are actually quite harmless, at least in the long run. It's the ones with deadly blood that you have to worry about. (dust = slight fever, KO, and nauseous for about a week; blood = every part of the body rotting)

Inorganics don't have deadly blood, so a legendary weapon/shield/dodge dwarf with adamantine [EDGE] weapon should kill it fairly quickly.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »

well, on the flip side, I had a giant toad become disabled and unconscious because a single war dog bit its head and kept shaking it around.  It was then oneshotted by my militia commander.  Then a forgotten beast with 8 legs came and I had my dwarves and dogs mob it, but they had to beat it constantly, eventually breaking it apart leg by leg, piece by piece, until eventually every attack hit its main body and it was destroyed.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:12 pm »

In my (very recent) experience the ones with deadly dust are actually quite harmless, at least in the long run. It's the ones with deadly blood that you have to worry about. (dust = slight fever, KO, and nauseous for about a week; blood = every part of the body rotting)
All syndromes are different, actually. I've met deadly dust ones that merely rendered dorfs blind, and not even permanently at that. Others... well, let's say that within a few frames, all body parts were already covered in blisters, which is never a good thing. And it is a goddamn demon law-giver with deadly blood that made basically all its victims' feet explode in a burst of blood that causes the most trouble in my fortress, whereas all my previous experiences with deadly blood were rather benign.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:45:02 pm »

It's really, really random...  The most anticlimactic one I ever had was something made of water, which died to a chained stray cria at my front door (kicked its lower body off).  The most difficult one I've faced thus far spewed dust which caused vomiting and suffocation, making it basically untouchable.  After losing a company of axedwarves to it, I managed to seal off the fort entrance and drop part of the cavern onto its head to kill it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:50:51 pm by narhiril »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

Forgotten beasts can be easier than some animals to kill or near impossible to kill.

Ones made of fire, salt, water, snow or anything else that shouldn't be physically possible will generally die from a hit to the body, the only threat being deadly blood/dust/firebreath (some of which may not even be deadly).

Next you've got organic ones, these generally hold their own against lone/unarmed dwarves but can be brought down with liberal application of spears. Again, most of the time the only deadly thing is their syndrome.

Then, we've got inorganic FBs, these things are usually near invincible monsters that cannot be stopped, especially if they're made of metal. Like most creatures, however, dropping a chunk of land on them will usually stop them dead in their tracks (get it, dead) and flatten them into a pancake.