Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games with Colonial Themes?  (Read 1983 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games with Colonial Themes?
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:07 am »

The title basically means, "games with the concept of going to a wilderness / unknown land and establishing a colony there". Like Dwarf Fortress where you settle down in a random place and people siege you etc.

I've just been playing Empire: Total War, and the most fun I had was the beginning of the American campaign. You start off with a bunch of irregular, poorly uniformed troops (drab brown uniforms, at the least) and have to fight off Native Americans before crushing them to establish the foothold in the Americas. Once you start going against other civilizations with lots of firearms or you have to start shoving troops into brightly coloured uniforms, it rapidly loses it's charm for me.

So, does anyone know of any other games where you have to establish colonies / with a colonial theme? Anything will do, I just like being in the hinterlands. :p

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with Colonial Themes?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:18 am »

Sid meier's colonization -classic
Expedition- roguelike
Space colony- Cool game nobody knows

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:12 am »

there's always Colan's claim (fourm thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73358.0) this is a space colony sim and looks really good.

also i want to see more of this type of game too.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:49:04 am »

Europa Universalis III. You are the home nation.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:18:11 pm »

there's always Colan's claim (fourm thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73358.0) this is a space colony sim and looks really good.

Doesn't count until it goes into alpha.  It looks good, but really doesn't qualify as a "game" from the prospective of "thing I can actually play".  Hopefully, Colan's claim will reach alpha soon.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

Doesn't count until it goes into alpha.  It looks good, but really doesn't qualify as a "game" from the prospective of "thing I can actually play".  Hopefully, Colan's claim will reach alpha soon.

god a cant wait till the alpha for this thing :P im one of the testers... im going to play this thing to death!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:25 pm »

Let us know when it goes into alpha, and how playable it is.  I'd like to sign up once they get something substantial, and probably others as well.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

Let us know when it goes into alpha, and how playable it is.  I'd like to sign up once they get something substantial, and probably others as well.

ok i will also be making game-play vids for it, and its kinda like DF in some ways. but dare i say it... more in depth than DF.. because it you look at the website the plan for it to be very deep. for example each person has own property business, personality,family. and has a similar sort of damage mechanic to DF. and looks very polished as well. hopefully this comes out to be very good

EDIT: also the Dev's said more game play videos will be out soonish

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »

Better yet, try the Magna Mundi mod for EUIII. It has colonization, and if you treat your new colonies poorly they can secede and form new nations. The only drawback, is that if you want to colonize the new world, you have to do so as one of the nations which historically did so. You can't make a colonial Ethiopian empire. :P

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

Age of Empires III, sort of.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »

Better yet, try the Magna Mundi mod for EUIII. It has colonization, and if you treat your new colonies poorly they can secede and form new nations. The only drawback, is that if you want to colonize the new world, you have to do so as one of the nations which historically did so. You can't make a colonial Ethiopian empire. :P
Both Victoria games, especially Victoria 2, also have colonization mechanics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »

You can't make a colonial Ethiopian empire. :P
:( Really? I mean I got sick of the game about three days after starting it, but that makes me sad. One of the things I liked about it was how differently history could go with a few strategic 'alterations' to the timeline. Any way around the restriction?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:20 pm »

Imperialism II
Conquest of the New World
Anno series (no natives here, though)

I'd also +1 Colonization. Not sure how the remake came out, but the original was pretty fun. Much more than just a civilization reskin.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »

You can't make a colonial Ethiopian empire. :P
:( Really? I mean I got sick of the game about three days after starting it, but that makes me sad. One of the things I liked about it was how differently history could go with a few strategic 'alterations' to the timeline. Any way around the restriction?
He means for Magna Mundi. You can still be an Ehiopian Colonial empire in vanilla. Such as the Iroquois OWP.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

I very much doubt that conlan's claim will be more indepth than DF.

For the op - does the Settlers and Anno series count? not really war games tho.

theres also american conquest which i havent tried, due to not liking the engine behind it so much (was used in cossacks).
Pages: [1] 2