Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curious Caravan Behaviour  (Read 721 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Curious Caravan Behaviour
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:15:25 am »

I have a well-defended (read: sealed away as much as possible from the rest of the map) path from the edge of the map to my trade depot, which forces all caravans to enter the map at the same spot. Obviously, I have to allow my dwarves access to the depot from inside the fortress as well. I've noticed that every time a caravan leaves the depot, though, they walk through the entire fortress in order to leave the map, often exiting through the topmost cavern.

Why do they do this? Is there any way to "encourage" them to leave the map the same way they came, other than simply closing off the access to the depot from my fort after I'm done trading?

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
Re: Curious Caravan Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »

I have a well-defended (read: sealed away as much as possible from the rest of the map) path from the edge of the map to my trade depot, which forces all caravans to enter the map at the same spot. Obviously, I have to allow my dwarves access to the depot from inside the fortress as well. I've noticed that every time a caravan leaves the depot, though, they walk through the entire fortress in order to leave the map, often exiting through the topmost cavern.

Why do they do this? Is there any way to "encourage" them to leave the map the same way they came, other than simply closing off the access to the depot from my fort after I'm done trading?
Close the entrance to the caverns while you're trading?

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »

The caverns are my best source of wood, though. Trees grow far too slowly on the sandy/soily layers of my fort, and the caverns are better defended than above-ground. Besides, that doesn't stop them walking through my fort to exit somewhere else above-ground.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:26 pm »

It is simple--caravans enter by the available topside route, but exit by the shortest route available to the edge of the map--which in your case is via the caverns--consider using this as a feature and making your quickest route lead out through some camped F.Bs, or just forbid doors to the cavern, when they are about to leave
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:17:23 pm »

The caverns are my best source of wood, though. Trees grow far too slowly on the sandy/soily layers of my fort, and the caverns are better defended than above-ground. Besides, that doesn't stop them walking through my fort to exit somewhere else above-ground.

also, caravans are probably your best source of wood.  if you forbid most of your wood just before they arrive, they'll bring tons of wood for you to use.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"