Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your dream game  (Read 6372 times)

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your dream game
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:29:35 pm »

A complex mix of a Grand Strategy game and an RTS like Supreme Commander, where you are building up forts and fighting, while the AI manages civilians fueling the war machine. It would go from individual units grand strategy, and would be THE GREATEST RTS ever made. It would contain space battles, air battles, sea battles, and land battles, and you would be able to switch easily between the different fields of battle. You could have a space station drop fighters and dropships, fly through a dogfight, and land right ahead of an amphibious landing. It would take "Epic Zoom" to a new level, by being able to zoom out from a single soldier to an entire world, watching your battle lines move and fight. While it could be played as a single player game, the best mode would be a 32v32 multiplayer game, where 32 players would manage the nation, while 32 players would manage the other. It would be total war, and it would be amazing.

I also had this dream
Signature goes here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:56:12 pm »

An open-ended game in which you could be a god, altering the world however you'd like, and then you could take the form of a mortal and adventure in your creation. In effect, a combination god game/RPG.

Yeah, this would be badass. Similar to how I wanted Spore to be, actually.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »

A virtual reality game that can take on the plot and general rules of a show, game, book or series and give you a role in it.  Bonus points for multiplayer elements.

Hey, noone said my dream had to be achievable in reality :\.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 07:26:11 pm »

A virtual reality game that can take on the plot and general rules of a show, game, book or series and give you a role in it.  Bonus points for multiplayer elements.

Lol for same dream bonus points for better explanation a game like this would also have the ability to create its own plots and continue the story. XD
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:28:25 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:36 pm »

An RPG that generated its own world a la Dwarf Fortress, but also created its own epic storyline (something on par to Final Fantasy 7, but possibly different every time), as well as one of a couple of different game types, with everything about the game changeable from an ingame debug menu (so I could switch the exp system from a gawddamned sphere line to materia or something to that effect).

Basically, an RPG generator up to twenty-six.
This!
Also this, but even more.  The epic storyline would change with each world and the villains could vary from either a bunch of random warlords causing issues, to a single person trying to bring about revolution/armageddon/genocide/world government/peace, to an ancient god or a new god messing with things, or rarely, the game AI itself waging war on the player with the game's world caught in-between.  Then the player can choose (not like a menu in the beginning, but through their actions and actual know how) how they'll interact with what's occurring.  They could go the 'chosen hero' route, but could also go the merchant route to capitalize on the mayhem, or go either route while siding with the villains to either help, backstab in the name of good, or eventually take over the operation for themselves.  Players could take down the villains via hackyslashy/magic/stealth/shooting, or hire NPCs to do it for them, or even train up a "chosen one" NPC hero to do it for them in a sort of "mysterious benefactor" style.  Or the player can mix things up big time: playing as a very private merchant while funding and directing the hero in disguise. 

And of course things get NUTS when the game AI is the enemy; saves get randomly deleted (but when a player starts a new game, it picks up right where said save was, as if nothing happened) items vanish with mysterious notes left in their place, controls suddenly going wrong in time to kill people off, game environments changing shape or looks, and if the player is enlisting the help of NPCs, some of them may break the 4th wall and realize the existence of the game and the player and question the player if he can really beat the game if the game suddenly decides it doesn't want to lose.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »

I do not beleive that mashing random plot elements together is a good story telling method. A genned story may sometimes work out well, but after a few plays it will lose appeal to a 'hand made' story.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 09:22:31 pm »

Yeah, you'd need a lot of nuance for the stories to be convincing. Representing them in an even more convincing way to the player would be even harder.

Lol for same dream bonus points for better explanation a game like this would also have the ability to create its own plots and continue the story. XD

I don't want this game made because then I would have no more life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »

Some horrible combination of Harvest Moon, the Final Fantasy Series, the Tales Series, Recettear, Civilization, Spore (haven't played it, but it's the basic idea), Caesar/Pharaoh, and Zelda.  Add in a little Braid and Portal to make Zelda's puzzles and dungeons more interesting, because I got sick of them really quickly.  I don't enjoy the usual "let's collect stuff so everything can be weird and Nintendo Hard."  No, this is not just a list of all of my favorite games, smooshed together, though it is a large portion of them.

What I mean by this is that I think it would be cool to establish a civilization in a generated world, with some sort of history (a la DF), and then be able to play as some individual in that civilization in the usual Harvest Moon/Recettear way, just... not restricted solely to farming and shop-keeping.  More variety than that.  Then, you can also run things on the city-level, or go off with a band of adventurers, or run around solo a la Zelda/Pathologic/whatever.  At certain points you can switch levels/groups on the game, thus altering the rest of the course of history.  Part of playing is knowing when to switch to a different level, so that if you've just started sending your band of adventurers off to infiltrate a castle and you know there's a big group of foreign soldiers in the way, you switch to the Civ mode and play there for a while, to weaken the defenses and make the infiltration mission easier.  Or you solve some puzzles to develop better stealth tech, something like that.

... Actually, this is probably better expressed as "I want to play DF if DF had been programmed by a team of Japanese people and it were less about core mechanics and more about strange cute things and plot.  Also running on more supercomputers than the universe can actually hold."

Alternatively, that one puzzle thing from the Ender's Game series.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 12:04:09 am »

Desert Bus
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »

...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »

Sburb. It's breaks like EVERY law of physics, and several others, so it's a no-go.
What he said...

I had a pretty clear dream game when I was a lot younger and a huge fan of Elfquest.  You'd have your tribe and do linear missions, but what happened on each mission would change the plot very, very dramatically, like, choose-your-own-adventure-books on total crack.  I don't want to say "procedural", because that word gets way overused.  But social interactions should evolve from realistic situations in the game, real motivations and desires and emotional moments, people who realistically decide when it's worthwhile to sacrifice themselves for the greater good...

...I think that in a true dream game, you should be able to sacrifice yourself for your loved ones, and get more than just 'game over'.  Not a scripted ending, not a 'you died the game ends', but seeing what the consequences of your actions were.

My other more recent dream game was Star Trek Online.  No, not the version they released.  Something closer to Hazeron, but without the city building and a lot less NPCs.  Closer to Puzzle Pirates.  Maybe I should find that old thread on the STO boards from before it got released.  You would have duty puzzles where you fiddled with stuff to make your ship go faster, or the weapons do better, and you had other players on board doing the same thing in different stations.  (If you haven't played Puzzle Pirates, think Bejeweled kinds of stuff.  Realtime.  Don't dawdle.  And then go play it; you'll like it, I mean it.)  You could have long-term crews, a captain could say "Sure, these guys are also allowed to take the ship out when I'm not here go right ahead", you could recruit either (poor-quality) npcs or other players to temp on your ship very easily...

You didn't always have to be out doing missions, either.  If you liked the engineering puzzles, you could embark on a very long-term puzzle to upgrade your ship's engines; something along the very vague lines of "Here are some very nasty Sudoku-like puzzles, solve 20 of them for a minor engine upgrade".  Or for your ship's medic, a long series of puzzles that you can do at your own leisure to "write a paper" and get a rank promotion, which can help give advantages (better missions?) to ships that you crew.  As your ship takes damage, certain puzzles are made more difficult until those parts of the ship get fixed.  You'd even have puzzles like a medic puzzle where the ship's medic is playing one game, while the person being healed has a different one to not scream in pain and writhe around and make it take longer (okay that's silly, but it's still an example).

You'd be able to send down landing parties during the course of some missions, talk to the natives, maybe have a translation game...  No mining/resource management, probably no free world exploration.  And unless you opted in, *NO* hardcore pvp or even pve; getting blowed up = your shiny upgraded ship is back at port and needs some tender love and care before it's back up to full operation, but the world isn't over or anything.  Being able to walk around on your ship is a must, being able to watch the viewscreens of people as they play the puzzles is important, and huge bonus points if sometimes a corridor gets wrecked and you need to find your way through the Jefferies tubes to get to Engineering.

THAT, in my opinion, is what STO should have been.  And I was working for a while on an engine to do just that.  But it was hard.  D:

Another dream game:  Something involving GPS units, real-world stuff, and Steam achievements.  Turns out that already exists.  Even if the achievements aren't Steam based.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:39:04 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 05:46:50 pm »

For me it would be something that is a cross between Vagrant Story, and Dungeon Crawl.

The premise is basically mixing procedurally generated levels with hand-created content, in an isometic perspective. The main game would take place on a large ruined city map. Different branches, much like SS, would come off the city hub and be randomly and procedurally generated as well.

To add to the mix there would be a host of AI groups that sort of track across the map, that would react to your character/class/race/religion in different ways, allow for dialog and social skill interactions, ect.... Like Vagrant Story and unlike SS, there would be a story that's loose but intended for your character to take part in and eventually overshadow. I'd want several different "Orbs of Zot", each one that has a different uber effect not only when used, but that persistently affects the whole game world, so each time you create a game, it's a different item altogether.

I'd also want sort of classic JRPG class upgrade schemes. Like you start as a basic class but then evolve into another when you level up, being presented with branching choices that take you out of your "tree" into another "tree", making you a hybrid if you want.

A really evolved pantheon much like SS, but that has effects that go beyond just what powers your character gets, and things that piss your god off.

I'd want an affinity system for elements and types, where the more you kill something or get hurt by something, the more attuned you get to it, so that the character over time reflects the things you've been doing or been exposed to.

And of course it would have lots of fluff, and stuff that would give you a reason to pause, unlike SS which becomes so monotonous they give you an auto-explore tool.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:50 pm »

List your dream game.

Spore, done properly.  :P

All the other games listed here also sound ace, and I'm sure I've dreamed similar things up at some point.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:29 am »

A world. Like, a game world, constantly updated so you can build, destroy, dig, kill, fight, hunt and spawn everything that has ever existed in life or the imagination. Also every weapon in the world. So you could recreate the Sistine Chapel, then fight Alien in there with a nunchuk. Or absolutely anything else you wanted.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 01:28:21 am »

My dream game is a VR simulation where me and my friends could do LARPing but for reals.

Failing that, I'd like a decent macro-economic simulator.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4