Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your dream game  (Read 6372 times)

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
Your dream game
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:00 am »

If it existed, what would be your dream game.

My dream game would be something similar to Tron (the movie not the game XD) If Dwarf Fortress had more science fiction than fantasy in it i would say a mix between that, and Tron. It would be nice if the Story never stopped and always added new events a sort of "creativity engine". As well as being able to create unique stories, you could make the game read your favorite book, or watch your favorite movie or tv series. you couold jump in the story and tell the protagonist of your favorite horror film to stop being such a dumass. or just watch the events unfold. You could watch what happens to the character after the show ended, continuing on their adventures.

thats my dream game. what about you?
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Your dream game
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:52 am »

Someone on SA posted what is basically my ideal game. Give me a minute to find it.

EDIT:

Quote from: RentCavalier
I've always thought it'd be great if you had a Pokemon game with a revamped battle system. Like, action-RPG esque--you still have just four moves, plus one basic physical attack. Your physical attack is based on size and strength stat, but it can never make critical hits and can never be super-effective. Your four moves would be hotkeyed to controller buttons and would use up PP as normal.

Now, the elemental RPS system would get a rehaul as well. Elemental attacks get strengthened if you are fighting on terrain matching that element, as well as being affected by time of day and weather. Chaining super-effective moves puts your Pokemon into a sort of overdrive state, so it takes less damage and deals more damage of that element. There's more of an emphasis on 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 battles, and you'd choose and raise Pokemon to compliment each other.

No more random battles either. I'd like Pokemon to be wandering the various map screens, forcing you to observe their habits and movements to catch them. The rare ones would require you to find trails and other markers and utilize baits and lures (and maybe implement a sort of non-harmful trap) to lure them out, where you would then battle and capture them as usual. Think about how awesome it would be to track, say, a Stantler's trail through a forest, come upon a clearing where two Growlithe are fighting, engage and defeat both of them simultaniously, then get ambushed by a mama Arcanine, forcing you to flee, disturbing the Stantler who was hiding nearby, and leading to a three-man chase, you after the deer, the firebreathing dog after you. Y'know, ecosystems--workable, functioning ecosystems that change and adapt as you go through them. Full 3-D environments with living, breathing creatures roaming about!

But, I mean, I guess turn-based battles and sprites are fun too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:04:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:01:38 am »

Chess, with every time the game ends it restarts with added complexity until people are playing games over solar systems and through out time.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:57 am »

basically, my pet project and dream game would be a spore civ stage on steroids. an rts with elements of 4x where you design your own civilization and faction, from picking cultural traits to designing the architecture and equipping the army, preferably with a persistent civ that'd require hundreds of hours of gameplay to reach it's full potential.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:12:11 am »

Someone on SA posted what is basically my ideal game. Give me a minute to find it.

EDIT:

Quote from: RentCavalier
I've always thought it'd be great if you had a Pokemon game with a revamped battle system. Like, action-RPG esque--you still have just four moves, plus one basic physical attack. Your physical attack is based on size and strength stat, but it can never make critical hits and can never be super-effective. Your four moves would be hotkeyed to controller buttons and would use up PP as normal.

Now, the elemental RPS system would get a rehaul as well. Elemental attacks get strengthened if you are fighting on terrain matching that element, as well as being affected by time of day and weather. Chaining super-effective moves puts your Pokemon into a sort of overdrive state, so it takes less damage and deals more damage of that element. There's more of an emphasis on 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 battles, and you'd choose and raise Pokemon to compliment each other.

No more random battles either. I'd like Pokemon to be wandering the various map screens, forcing you to observe their habits and movements to catch them. The rare ones would require you to find trails and other markers and utilize baits and lures (and maybe implement a sort of non-harmful trap) to lure them out, where you would then battle and capture them as usual. Think about how awesome it would be to track, say, a Stantler's trail through a forest, come upon a clearing where two Growlithe are fighting, engage and defeat both of them simultaniously, then get ambushed by a mama Arcanine, forcing you to flee, disturbing the Stantler who was hiding nearby, and leading to a three-man chase, you after the deer, the firebreathing dog after you. Y'know, ecosystems--workable, functioning ecosystems that change and adapt as you go through them. Full 3-D environments with living, breathing creatures roaming about!

But, I mean, I guess turn-based battles and sprites are fun too.

Thats probably doable (unlike mine :/ ) haha
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:12:47 am »

An RPG that generated its own world a la Dwarf Fortress, but also created its own epic storyline (something on par to Final Fantasy 7, but possibly different every time), as well as one of a couple of different game types, with everything about the game changeable from an ingame debug menu (so I could switch the exp system from a gawddamned sphere line to materia or something to that effect).

Basically, an RPG generator up to twenty-six.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:49 am »

I guess you can say I always have a dream game in progress (production and playing simultaneously) in a sorta waking-dream format. Nothing can beat the power of a powerful biological processor, and a psychic computer; AKA, imagination and brain power.

You can say that much my artwork comes from this inner universe that is also augmented with this one in a unique manner which can produce some interesting results. Getting drunk or high enhances the experience.

A good summary of the inner universe is that it's the universe of ideas, ideas easily adapted and able to work together naturally, despite some unnatural forms they take. Considering how easy it would be to adapt to it, I nicknamed it "The Second Nature". You can say it's also populated by the egos of all other universes. Think of it as Second Life, except... good awesome. It's a more ultimate sandbox than this universe, and other good games that are also sandboxes. Only side-effect is that it's also more likely going to be the most dangerous, and even terrifying, yet most interesting place to be.

Procedural generation at it's best. Infinite worlds, weapons, ways to get things done, creatures... the list goes on. Basically imagine if everything, real or not, imagined yesterday, today, tomorrow, or never at all, all existed one way or another. One way or another, something will exist. On that note, some parts of this universe can also be described as "God on a real bad acid trip". It is, in fact, the ultimate melting pot game. Every genre, for every age, no limits, and countless challenges and collectibles. To each their own.

Best part about this is that it's already distributed as public domain and is freeware. Just free your mind.

There is a predecessor to "The Second Nature" however, it's called "Real Life". Compared to the other game, I heard "Real Life" is beyond Nintendo Hard, and at times, not as fun. Social networking isn't the best either, depending on how well your connections are.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:03:15 am by Itnetlolor »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:33:19 am »

There is a paradox to this.
You see I love for my games to have story line. I know, playing DF, an open ended, genned game isn;t a great example of this, but look at it this way: I oftern take a break from DF to play another game, but I have never taken a break from another game to play DF.
In this way, I want to meet new characters, and go new places, and see how well the dev team can build emotion into there game. So for me, atleast, a single game gets old once I have seen it's end. Few games, no matter how good, get a second play through. I never say to myself 'Now that I have beat spartan mode, time for titan mode!' or something of that nature, and I don't oftern like sequals, they feel so forced and unnatural.

So the perfect game for me, is polymorphic. It never stays the perfect game once it is over.
Sad to say, in the current game climate of annoying, repeditive FPS games that always come out, I have mostly given up on mainstream games, and run the indie circut, looking for the new big thing.

Surprisingly, right now Super mario Bros X has my attention, but it could be because it is the only Mario game ever made better then Super mario Bros 3.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:54 am »

An RPG that generated its own world a la Dwarf Fortress, but also created its own epic storyline (something on par to Final Fantasy 7, but possibly different every time), as well as one of a couple of different game types, with everything about the game changeable from an ingame debug menu (so I could switch the exp system from a gawddamned sphere line to materia or something to that effect).

This!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 08:41:21 am »

Sburb. It's breaks like EVERY law of physics, and several others, so it's a no-go.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:47:45 am »

A space combat flight sim.

Basically take the weapons from Colony Wars, the fluid flight system of Vendetta Online, the awesome art of battlestar galactica, make this into a game, and I'll worship you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 09:48:29 am »

Sburb. It's breaks like EVERY law of physics, and several others, so it's a no-go.
Yeah, but have you noticed how long it takes to play? It's been almost 2 years now, and it's still not over!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »

This!

I'm still attempting to make this game, basically. A procedural JRPG. It's coming along sorta nicely (tile generator, scrolling, etc. all work, but it's slow and i'm lazy), I should probably revive that thread soon that I made about it. However I don't think you'd be pleased with the end result -- it's not going to be extremely plot based, but more open ended. The gameplay will be more focused on the interactions between the characters in the game world.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »

An open-ended game in which you could be a god, altering the world however you'd like, and then you could take the form of a mortal and adventure in your creation. In effect, a combination god game/RPG.
[/post]

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:13 pm »

A complex mix of a Grand Strategy game and an RTS like Supreme Commander, where you are building up forts and fighting, while the AI manages civilians fueling the war machine. It would go from individual units grand strategy, and would be THE GREATEST RTS ever made. It would contain space battles, air battles, sea battles, and land battles, and you would be able to switch easily between the different fields of battle. You could have a space station drop fighters and dropships, fly through a dogfight, and land right ahead of an amphibious landing. It would take "Epic Zoom" to a new level, by being able to zoom out from a single soldier to an entire world, watching your battle lines move and fight. While it could be played as a single player game, the best mode would be a 32v32 multiplayer game, where 32 players would manage the nation, while 32 players would manage the other. It would be total war, and it would be amazing.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4