Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting a diagnosis?  (Read 782 times)

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
Getting a diagnosis?
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:48 pm »

Alright, Fort #3 here.

The dwarf I had previously designated at my Chief Medical Dwarf (CMD) got his leg torn open.  He is now resting in the dorm, bleeding profusely.  I have designated the Dorms as a hospital area, removed him from the CMD post, and designated a new drawf as CMD.  I have removed all jobs from the new CMD, except for Diagnose Dwarf (DD).  Th new CMD is currently sitting in the legendary dining hall complaining thta he doesn't have any work to do, while mydwarf is bleeding out in "his" hospital.

What am I missing, and how do I fix this?

This is doubly annoying because he is currently sleeping with my near legendary accountant, and while I have never seen a legendary accountant rampage, I don't really want to.

Harry Voyager

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a diagnosis?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »

Just keep waiting. Eventually he'll get around to it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »

So, is there something that influences how quickly the diagnostician gets around to diagnosing?

I'm currently expecting this patient to stave to death before the CMD shows up (given that the CMD, bless his pointy little head, is currently acquainting himself with a keg), but in the future it would be nice if the patients did die before the CMD got around to looking at them.

Harry Voyager

Addendum: What also floors me, is I've also assigned the guy "Feed Patients" in his job list, and he isn't doing that either!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:19:12 pm by Voyager »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

Doctors are lazy.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »

Maybe diagnosing is not something you need to train up, so perhaps a dabbler will work.  So make everyone a diagnostician.

When you want something done by a specific dwarf in a hurry, best to turn off hauling labors (and others if necessary) and/or put the guy in a burrow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »

Misdiagnosis leads to bad things and almost certain death.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »

It happens?  I've never seen it.

My point though, at very least, is that if you don't have a good diagnoser, you could have multiple diagnosers, since this is a skill that is likely to be improved via immigration wave rather than use.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

You can place your CMD in a burrow with the hospital in it. Also, it is imperative that you make sure all of your doctors enjoy helping others. If they don't care, or dislike helping others, they will leave your patients to die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »

Does it really make that much of a difference? In my fortress I have one dwarf with any diagnosing skills and one who likes helping others, and they ain't the same one. The CWD is... adequate, as I'd expect from her neutral status. I don't fancy the chances of any bleeders though.

Maybe assigning waterskins to medics would help. I've read that they speed up drinking considerably, but I haven't had them equipped long enough to see the results.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

I don't recall any misdiagnosises either, even at Dabbling or worse.

Then again, you'd have to be a total moron not to be able to look at a leg gushing blood and say "That leg is bleeding! Maybe we should bandage it!". Dwarven propensity to totally and fatally screw something up notwithstanding... Or else they'd try aloe vera for a foot wound. Or CPR for a bullet wound to the head.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »

I've never noticed the diagnosis skill level doing anything other than giving a faster diagnosis. Some people have suggested that personality traits could influence the amount of time it takes a dwarf to get to a job.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »

You can place your CMD in a burrow with the hospital in it.

This. I have the same problem sometimes with CMD not diagnosing, and this removes the problem.

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:41 pm »

Have you tried deconstructing the bed under the dwarf who is wounded? If he has to move and get into a new bed in the hospital it may prompt your new CMD to diagnose him
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

:o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:05:32 am by dennislp3 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »

I don't recall any misdiagnosises either, even at Dabbling or worse.

Then again, you'd have to be a total moron not to be able to look at a leg gushing blood and say "That leg is bleeding! Maybe we should bandage it!". Dwarven propensity to totally and fatally screw something up notwithstanding... Or else they'd try aloe vera for a foot wound. Or CPR for a bullet wound to the head.

God damn it! that aloe vera and CPR works!

(that's a very appropriate reference for this lol  :P)
Pages: [1] 2