Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first Cavern!  (Read 1145 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first Cavern!
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »

Reacently, After starting dwarf fortress mode about a month ago and going through variosu forts I got the "You have discovered an expansive Underground Cavern!"

Now my question is waht can I do with it, And how can it benifit me?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first Cavern!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »

The obvious thing to do with it is to explore it and then treat it as your outdoor space. The first cavern, at least, is roughly akin to a low-savagery surface woodland in terms of danger and resources. It's a valuable source of lumber and typically safer than the surface since there's no ambushes in the depths, so stopping surface woodcutting and herbalism operations to move them into the caverns is a surprisingly good idea. Of course, forgotten beasts entering the region are more common than titans, that doesn't make the caverns more dangerous.

You'll probably want to make at least some type of defensive array down in the caverns, like a line of weapon traps to take out hostile animals, maybe a drawbridge, convenient places for your soldiers to engage any forgotten beasts, and (most importantly) a dwarf bath to clear any dangerous secretions from anyone who might pass through pools of deadly substances, but you don't need anything near as complex as at the surface.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »

I wouldn't really call the first cave low savagery, that makes me think more of calm surroundings, the first cavern seems to be somewhere between untamed wilds and wilderness.
What you'll do with the caverns depends majorly on your embark site.  All caverns are a good source of trees if you embarked somewhere without trees, they also contain underground plants, plump helmets, dimple cups, etc. that can be gathered in a pinch.  Most cavers will at least have a some water somewhere that you can use if there isn't any on the surface, sometimes you might find some magma too.
Overall you'll probably treat it like you would any entrance to your fort.  Defend it and make sure nothing happens to it.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »

Some levels of underground caverns have good stuff like Native Platinum or Gold, not to mention vast wealths of gems and webs and stuff. I like caverns.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »

The great wealth displayed by caverns is simply because they EXPOSE those deposits.  Caverns don't concentrate mineral wealth, they just make it visible.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 05:04:03 pm »

Careful, lots of dangerous/flying critters in the cavern. Wall the edges off, lest the hungry heads fuck up your shit.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:07 am »

? Hungry heads are total pussies, unless I'm missing something. I once accidentally locked a dog out in cavern 3 during a siege and a whole flock of zombie HHs started chewing on it. By the time I noticed it was missing a month later, it was covered in bruises but no worse. They literally had not broken its skin after like a 30 page combat log. Admittedly they were zombies but I don't suppose their bites are any weaker than the regular variety.

back on topic, I used to be scared of the caverns, but not any longer. I usually go straight to cavern 3 and set up there. The only really scary thing in cavern 1 is giant cave spiders, and those have been nerfed anyway since 40d. The water bath is a good idea though, FB syndromes really suck.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:32:57 am »

? Hungry heads are total pussies, unless I'm missing something

They can still get lucky bites on your civilians, infection, etc.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:41:52 am »

If you see a guy bitten by a helmet snake, fucking RUN him to hospital. The bite will wreck them up if you don't, and the buggers nearly ALWAYS get at least one bite on them.
They die pretty quick, but if you see one in the caverns, get marksdwarves to shoot it.
If they somehow bit a dwarf on the head, they are dead.
So be careful down there!
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:02:07 am »

If you see a guy bitten by a helmet snake, fucking RUN him to hospital. The bite will wreck them up if you don't, and the buggers nearly ALWAYS get at least one bite on them.
They die pretty quick, but if you see one in the caverns, get marksdwarves to shoot it.
If they somehow bit a dwarf on the head, they are dead.
So be careful down there!

i had a dwarf bitten 4 times by a helmet snake and nothing happened  :o
i like goats

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:09:21 am »

Might be a lucky one then. If they get the venom injected, then....
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:30:41 pm »

So I can get my first FB in the first cavern :O?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »

My first FB ever entered through the first cavern. It was a feathered earthworm made out of diorite, I believe. Tough bastard to take with my copper weapon squad.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

My first FB entered through the first caverns too. It was a newt composed of fire opal, which was... rather unimpressed by my silver war hammer wielding military.
Whole fortress almost got eradicated in the second year.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »

My first FB came from the second cavern, which I had sealed off, but it entered my fort through the first cavern due to a passage I hadn't yet found.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2