Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Differences between weapon types  (Read 713 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Differences between weapon types
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:44:32 pm »

I'm starting a new fort, and I'm trying to make a dwarf to be the militia commander. I've got 5 points in teacher, and I want to put 5 points into a weapon skill. Normally, I pick axes because I like it when you chop at a boogy man's skull and the severed part sails off in an arc. It's just that it happens less with swords and when I use spears/arrows the enemies have this nasty habit of still trying to fight and sometimes killing my adventurer despite having their lungs punctured and filling up with blood. I mean, you'd think that the enemy wouldn't be a threat after having bits of his intestines and kidneys and liver lying all over the place, but I've seen adventurers in full adamantine gear getting killed by soldiers who have had their entire lower bodies cut off. Almost the only way to make sure that they aren't a threat is to destroy their brain or hack their body into a bloody pulp before moving onto the next enemy.

But I digress, is this any different in fortress mode?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Differences between weapon types
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:48:16 pm »

Enemies cut in two (as in, lower body cut off) are very dead in Fortress mode. Had it happen with many Troggies, Gobbies and even an Ogre, mainly with masterful short swords. Spears to the face work like a charm as well, though. Jamming the skull into the brain and all that.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »

"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »

Steel axes and silver hammers are the best ordinary material weapons you can have. Axes have the edge against anything badly armored (ie goblins) and organic. Hammers will only fail against one type of megabeast and potentially against inorganic forgotten beasts made of higher tier metals, but can take a long time to kill really big organic enemies. Spears are good at wounding vital organs which matters a bit more in fortress mode than in adventurer mode because an enemy who passes out from pain is usually dead one attack later (but then again chopping of a foot and a hand makes most goblins pass out too rather quickly). Swords are in between axes and spears and maces are just a weaker (but not by much) hammer.
Crossbows are always nice to have especially if you train them up with bone bolts made from wildlife hunted by another guy who can be legendary in about two years if you have him hunting from the start.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:07:49 pm »

Axes chop bits off. This is usually my preferred weapon, because once an enemy has lost and arm or leg (besides FB/Titans) it's more or less dead, as the bleeding will soon claim it.
Spears poke nasty holes. This can deal serious damage to internal organs on organic enemies, which can quickly lead to incapacitation and death. However, many creatures can ignore their organs being ripped up (the less essential ones anyway, such as the guts, liver, pancreas; anything but the heart, lungs and brain), and thus can still be a threat. Thus I don't use spears much.
Swords are a cross between axes and spears; they can lop bits off and poke at organs, but aren't as good at either. I never really use them.
Hammers are for dishing out pain, thus I love them. They will go through most any armor (even copper hammers can give a steel-clad enemy a very bad day) and instead of creating salsa, they just bash every bone to bits. This usually means that the enemy in question will not die until it falls over from pain, at which point it will probably get an unwelcome bit of metal lodged in its brain forthwith. It also means less bits to clean up afterward.
Crossbows are an excellent support weapon, especially if the marksdwarves are kept in a safe and secure location they can fire from and won't be inclined to run up to the enemy from (I use pillboxes). Crossbows will often incapacitate and enemy with a shot to some organ (they pierce nicely, like spears) but I rarely see them get killshots with any regularity, just moments of dwarven badassness (like my militia commander shooting an entire ambush dead by himself, leagues from the fortress and his allies).

For my personal preference, I'll usually have at least one squad of crossbowmen and one squad of either hammerdwarves or axedwarves. Often the crossbows will do a decent job stopping the advance, and the melee are then sent in to clean up.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »

I use marksdwarves almost solo. My style is protecting mah dudes.

Since the biggest threat to me is goblins, I take axes. Very funny with axelords throwing bits everywhere.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:05:24 pm »

I normally use steel-armoured sworddwarfs but after reading about the axes cutting parts off I might recruit a squad of axedwarfs. Hammers I have found are more or less useless against gobs.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

fervor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »

How much of the advice in this thread is just personal opinion based on their own experiences?

In my games, my sworddwarves have always gotten the most kills.  For variety, I usually split my army in equal parts with each using a different weapon.  In one game, the commander (sword) hacked up a bunch of goblins by himself after chasing them all over the map.  Total badass.  But it's really hard for me to draw any definitive conclusions about which weapon is the best based on what I've seen.

From what I've read, slashing/cutting weapons work best on less armored.  Blunt works best on armored.  Spears work best on megabeasts.  Sound reasonable?

This might be why people prefer axes/swords because most enemies in the game (goblins and animals) don't have much armor.