Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfcentered game  (Read 1112 times)

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfcentered game
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:23:48 am »

Hey guys,
I was planning for some time to start this game and today I finally have some time.
I have chosen an embark location with some water and some trees, but there is some aquifer also, not clear yet if it is all over the location because I chose a rather large area.
I am planning to play this game dwarf centered, which basically means I am going to see what my dwarves like and can do on embark and give them jobs and houses accordingly.

ow game of SupCom starting now so more on this later :D
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfcentered game
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:22:10 am »

So I embarked now on a new area because the other one was a little too big for my laptop hehe.
Everything is covered in snow and the brook is mostly frozen. It does have an awesome valley where the brook runs through! It said heavily forrested and moderate other vegetation on the location picker. Calm surroundings, so evil awesome creatures must be imported. Now to introduce my dwarves:

Fath ònulser/mirroredheads (female):
Adequate miner, dabbling at misc. stuff
She is clumsy and quick to tire... (not really a good feature of a miner)
She is not the social type I can see from her description. (that means I will disable the feed wounded/prisoners job for her)
She hates flies.

Sodel olinilir/gearedjoy (male):
Novice woodworker and bowyer, dabbling at misc. stuff
He is a tough guy but very kind.
He hates rats.
He likes working outdoors.

Kol Ríbartobul/homagecanyons (male):
Novice woodcutter, brewer, cook, grower, herbalist, furnace operator, wood burner, lyre maker, potash maker. Dabbling at the misc. stuff (which seems standard..)
He likes working outdoors which is a good feature for a woodcutter!
He hates flies.

Mebzuth Shegeturdim/Horntowers (male):
Novice engraver, mason, mechanic, building designer.
He is slow to heal, but a risk-taker...
He like working outdoors and detests purring maggots.

Olin Kezatvabôk/Dangerorbs (female):
She is the Expidition Leader.
Novice Gem cutter, gem setter, wood crafter, stone crafter, bone carver.
She hates cave spiders, Is not affected by the suffering of others and likes working outdoors.

Cilob Shorastthocit/Wirespikes (female):
Novice Fisherdwarf.
She doesn't like bats.
She likes working outdoors.

Goden Cerolosthat/Lensesteemed (female):
Novice fish cleaner, butcher, tanner, weaver, clothier, leatherworker.
She detests blood gnats. She likes to work outdoors.

Omg I have no dwarves with fighting skills :o
Well lets start with making a little cave to store my stuff away from the stealing animals.
Then I'll try to find the aquifer (oh yeah I didn't mention it yet..) and cause a little cave in somewhere but maybe the aquifer is frozen too (A)
Oh yeah my party has two dogs, two cats and a donkey too. I already spotted two deer on the map so maybe hunting is a good idea since fishing is not possible in a frozen river :-p

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:55:30 am »

So after a little bit of playing we have created ourself a little cave in the sanddune we live on. After a big lagspike the river defrosted and fishing became a good way to get food.
I have added three pictures from the three built levels I have. The first one shows my embark position. I created the carpentry workshop and started building some walls to fend of the evil elves. (they are not evil yet but they will be after I cut down half the forest) You can also see the entry to my caves. One level down I made the storage area which now stores everything but fish. The empty room is the meeting area, we have a dormitory. Two more levels down, on the same level as the brook, I created a little economy. The fishery and kitchen and fish storage are here. I just need to check if I have a cooking dwarf yet. At the riverside I placed a fishing/water zone.
One more level down I hit the damp clay/sand layer which is the aquifer. I am still looking for a way through. Pumps are not an option because I cannot make mechanisms. Maybe I should wait till next winter and get some stone through the frozen river.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:37:03 am »

Okey, as my dwarves were preparing for a controlled cave-in move to get passed the aquifer we hit Chert. Which is stone! I dug out a large room in the chert to make certain it was a large pocket and then tried digging down into the aquifer layer. I am already down 4 layers without any damp stone located :-) Now I should just make sure we never rupture the aquifer layer and make it flow into the lower levels hehe.
Digging down we also found Lignite and Bituminous Coal which will make nice furnace food later. The lowest part I reached right now is Granite. That sounds tough.
Because my Expedition Leader had nothing much to do as she specializes in gems and jewelry I decided to make her the expeditions manager for now and also the cook, because the only dwarf with cooking skills is my woodcutter and I needed him for woodcutting. Maybe I will switch jobs for them soon, because I will need far less wood now I have stone.
I noticed my expedition leader has gotten annoyed by my carpenter. Maybe he didn't make her a soft enough bed or something? They now have grudges.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:04 am »

Well my first wave of migrants arrived and that made me design a new housing area.

To organize a little I am adding a number to everyones name indicating the wave they are from. My embark party has 1 and so on.
The new migrants include some with fighting skills :-)

Migrants:
Ilral Tekkudkovest (female):
A strong woman not to be messed with. Novice in some combat skills. A skilled engraver so she will probably become my engraver.

Bim Idneningul (female):
A very ugly dwarf, but she likes to help others. Competent in some combat skills.

Kol Oddomakgos (male):
This novice furnace operator is not a very pretty sight.

Tobul Avuzvukrig (female):
Same as the others...ugly, but with some skill and smell in fish cleaning.

Olin Rimtarastesh (male):
Ugly... friendly. Talented butcher and competent organizer.

and two others, but I'm bored with introductions...
Also one with surgeon skills

Oh my, I just recieved a third wave and now have 19 dwarves.
The place I was digging my living quarters contains water so I must select another location :(

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:09 pm »

So...new problems arise. A few Kobold thieves were seen and chased but my military dwarves were not fast enough to catch up with them, maybe for the better.
My second winter was a little bit of a fright. My new broker didn't want to leave his dinner table to trade with the dwarven merchants, so they left before I could buy new drinks. Alcohol has run out. Secondly all the surface water on the map froze and my dwarves started getting dehydrated. Some dwarves even died from dehydration but I found a high spot to puncture the aquifer layer and created a few wells for my dwarves by the end of the winter.
As some of the merchants were furnaceworkers and I found lots of coal, lignite and several ores I started organizing my smelters.
Lets hope the smoke does not fill my cave.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »

Well with the first two babies in my fortress come the first goblin snatchers. One made it out of the fort before the gate closed but the other got surrounded quickly and wrestled untill someone bashed his skull in with her left hand. An arm was broken in the process. Calling for immediate erection of a hospital inside the fortress. I just don't have all the materials for a hospital yet. We don't have any ropes and I don't think we have plaster either.
We luckily do have some dwarves with skills in medical stuff.

Hmm I was going to introduce the baby when I read that it already has a moustache and needs alcohol to get through the working day...
The first baby Ingish Likotmeb a peasant mother and a fishery working father.
The second baby Nil Uroloddom comes from my herbalist (mother) and my animal dissector. Strange combo, a veggie with an animal cutter.

My fortress has been greatly expanded since the last images. Especially with a new living area and a lot of new workshops. Also started up an animal area where I will keep livestock and potential pets. Making dwarves happy is my lifes work.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »

Is that a community fortress?
If so give me a turn.