Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bay12 Idol  (Read 689 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Bay12 Idol
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:33 am »

I'm sure there's some music in what could be considered the heart of Bay12 and the only way to let it out is like this.

How does it work?

***Each "round" of competition, there will be a MUSIC THEME in which each of our contestants will choose their best choice in song to represent the theme (in some rounds, contestants may be prompted to choose TWO a piece, but I will make that clear when the time comes).

***ALL SONG SUBMISSIONS MUST BE PM'ed TO ME. NO POSTING OF YOUR SONG CHOICES IN THE THREAD. Once the deadline hits, I will post the songs in the thread for everyone's perusal and discussion. Judges will PM their votes to me for each round's tally and once those are received, the results will be posted and a new round will commence.  A link to a video of the song is required in the PM since a video is just as good when it comes down to the general vibe of the song.

CRITERIA

***Contestants will be ranked and judged based on these criteria:
1) How well the musical choice fits the theme
Example: if the Music Theme was "90s Music" and your choice was "Free as a Bird" by The Beatles, which was a track released as a single in the 90s that was never cut originally as a Beatles track back in the day, then you would probably not rank quite so high in this criterion, because you missed the point of the Music Theme for that week.
2) Originality
I don't want to discourage you from "taking chances" in any way, so if you take a leap of faith and it really pays off in a "WOW, I haven't heard that song in a REALLY long time and it rules!" kinda way, then originality can certainly come into play with the judges. No one should win based only on how "accurately" they pick a song that fits the Musical Theme of the week, even though it IS a crucial part of criterion #1.
3) SHEER AWESOMENESS
You can be original, but what outweighs SHEER AWESOMENESS?! You can have a REALLY original song choice, but someone else can also have something not-so-original that is just bombarded with win molecules. On the other hand, obviously there can a lot of strategy involved in picking something typical or deemed generally popular, but at the same time, you have the judges' subjectivity come into play about some songs that have lost their luster over time as opinions of music from the past (or present) changes. Speaking for myself, there are some songs that have seemingly NEVER lost their effectiveness no matter how many times I've heard them and some that have lost a bit of flavor out of years and years of repetition and overplay on the radio and what-not.

***I will post the deadlines for each week's entries. Typically, there will be 4 days in which to send in your pick of the week. When the announced deadline for each week hits, I'm going to have to declare an automatic elimination. I won't hold up the game for those who have met deadlines. The round-by-round eliminations will still occur regardless of how many auto-eliminations there are. Once the submission deadline is up and I have received all the PMed song choices. I will immediately send the song choices out to the other three judges and let them vote accordingly. Judges will have 2 days to send in their votes.

Remember that it helps if you send a link to your song along with the PMed song choices just to make life a lot easier on me when it comes to posting all of the songs on the board.

If there are multiple versions of a song, you might want to be sure you clarify that when you send in your specific song choice. So yes, song title AND song artist would be helpful.

Finally . . .

It's subjective, so don't get too bent out of shape please.

CONTESTANTS

We'll need at least about 15 people to get this off of the ground as well as four judges. I'll be acting as a fifth judge of course since I'm crimping an idea that I've participated in over on the Wrestlecrap forums/

JUDGES
1. ME!